The Run Inn
27C / 81F
Overcast
Total Time = 46m 22s
Overall Rank = 34/243
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/23
Pre-race routine:

Left home at 5.15 and made good time to Bribie. Today the goal was to finish in the top 5 and maybe try to place. I set up my transition area and got numbered. I went over to the swim start area and then remembered that i had forgotten to put out a GU. Ran back to my bike and dropped off the GU and ran back to the swim start. Up until then i had been perfectly relaxed but now my heart was racing and I was starting to think if there was something else I had forgotten.
Event warmup:

Luckily I was in wave 2 so there wasn't much time for me to be standing around worrying and before I knew it the gun had sounded and we were off.
Swim
  • 06m 16s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water was pretty choppy which made it a bit difficult to breath especially around the back of the course and consequently I swallowed a heap of seawater. On the whole I enjoyed the swim if not a little disappointed with my time but that's to be expected considering the amount of swimming I have done recently (none....zero...zip!!!)
What would you do differently?:

I need to somehow prioritize more training time to swimming (any would be great). If I want to achieve my goal of a top 5 finish, coming out of the water in 10th is just giving the other competitors a massive head start.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I thought my T1 went well and was quick. I got into my shoes on the bike and managed to pass a few guys in transition.

Nothing, it's all good.
Bike
  • 25m 20s
  • 13 kms
  • 30.79 km/hr
Comments:

The goal for the bike was to ride flat out as fast as I could. Also stay on my aero bars to keep out of the wind. I passed a heap of people and a couple of guys from my age group which was great.

My bike computer showed that I had averaged 33kph so I'm very happy with that. I was a minute slower then the last time I rode here so I know I can go faster but it just didn't happen today.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 was all good. I struggled with my shoes a little but I don't think it slowed me down too much. Could be better.

Next time I will try and follow this process: rack my bike, put on my shoes, take off my helmet and grab my hat and number belt in the same motion; start running while putting on my hat and number belt rather then waste time standing around putting them on (I saw some highlights of the Noosa Tri when i got home from Bribie and the above process is how the pros do T2).
Run
  • 14m 44s
  • 3 kms
  • 04m 55s  min/km
Comments:

The run course at Bribie is nice and flat and it's only 3k's so there is no real reason why you can't run this flat-out. I tried to imagine I was at one of Pat's running groups and I was running a 3k effort with no rest periods. I turned at the half way point without being passed by anybody and tried to make sure nobody passed me on the way to the finish. I crossed the line achieving my goal and was pleased with my run time and overall time.

I have run faster over this 3k course so I know I can do better.
Post race
Warm down:

While I hung out in the recovery area eating some watermelon I was trying to count how many other guys had finished from my age group because as I ran out of T2 the race announcer called out my name and said that I was currently in third spot. I only counted 2 other guys so I was definitely sure I had finished in the top 5 and hopeful of a possible 3rd place.

Event comments:

As I was watching the long course guys going around, the announcer said that they had posted the results from the short course. I went over to check them out and was a little disappointed to see a 4 and not a 3 beside my name. Nobody passed me on the run so I think the announcer may have miscounted and called me in 3rd place incorrectly as I exited T2. It felt like it was there dangling in front of me like a carrot (or a piece of chocolate) and then as I went to claim it, it was snatched away from me.

The Bribie Tri short course is a fun race and although I didn't get a place I was still really happy with my race. My disappointment didn't last that long because I went as hard as I could for the full course and placed in the top 5 which was may the major goal for the day.

Last updated: 2007-12-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:16 | 300 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/23
Overall: 70/243
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: A "U" shape course starting on the beach swimming out to 2 bouys and then finishing back on the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 23C / 73F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:25:20 | 13 kms | 30.79 km/hr
Age Group: 23/23
Overall: 4/243
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 2 laps of a flat course.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:14:44 | 03 kms | 04m 55s  min/km
Age Group: 34/23
Overall: 4/243
Performance: Good
Course: One lap of a flat 3k track.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-12-03 6:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Bribie Island Race 2

2007-12-03 6:39 PM
in reply to: #1081345

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Bribie Island Race 2
Congratulations on a great time!
2007-12-03 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

Wow that's a fantastic time for the race!  Glad to hear I'm not the only one who copped mouthfulls of that sea water. 

Well done on the 4th place!  Great effort - And you know third / second is just sitting there waiting for you! 

2007-12-03 9:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Woo hoo!!! At place in the top four.
You're in form and will only continue to improve.
Watch out Males 35-39!!!

I'm sure this will be just the thing that will encourage a little more pool time
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bribie Island Race 2 Rss Feed