DCB Adventures
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 36s
Overall Rank = 25/237
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 6/38
Pre-race routine:

Was up at 4:15, got my stuff all together and had a english muffin with some peanut butter. Also drank about 1/2 a gallon of water on the way to the course. Went to Woz's and then drove to Anthem. Got there around 7 and set up the bikes and got the gear in order. Nothing really routine here, just couldn't sleep so might as well get rolling.
Event warmup:

Did some stretching and about 10 minutes before we had to go up for the swim, Woz and I went for a little jog. That was the extent of it but tried to keep warm and kept stretching up till the start.
Swim
  • 07m 30s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had to wait for about 5 people throughout the swim and ended up passing them, too many people aren't realistic or honest with their proposed swim times. I don't think it affected the race but it's frustrating as I try to place myself accurately and just want to do a race where it's only me that affects my time. I'm too competetive. My best swim to-date of the 3 races I've competed in. Nice and warm too!
What would you do differently?:

I need to work harder to increase my endurance and lower my time. I might have pushed up a bit further so I didn't have to pass people and could just swim my race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

Struggled with my shirt for the bike, shoes a bit as well, was trying to save time....Also, hooligans yelling at me as I changed......I WAS IN THE POOL! Of course the pool was nice and warm so.......what I don't have in front I make up for in back, guess that isn't something to brag about?!

Different shirt, it was essentially skin tight and not drying off much didn't make it go on too easily. I had skins on my shoes, one of the straps already on so the shoes were a little snug trying to pull on, would probably look at tri shoes next time or making sure I can QUICKLY get in them.
Bike
  • 42m 5s
  • 14.95 miles
  • 21.31 mile/hr
Comments:

I got out and was feeling pretty good at the start of the bike. I did get passed by 2 guys though they were on their second lap so had the legs going at that point. I passed a lot of riders, though I think a lot were much slower and not necessarily on the same plane of cycling. I felt sick about the whole time, tried to take a gel because when I tried to climb my calves would cramp, well ate half a gel and thought I was going to get sick on the bike. Happy only passed by 2 guys though, small victories.

Need to figure out my GI issues, don't like that I was cramping so much so soon in the race or that my kidneys seemed to hurt the whole time. I need to get nutrition figured out! I think I could have done a lot more hill work and more training, the bike probably slipped the most in the last few weeks. It's motivation though for next time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Got left foot out but couldn't get the right one out so when I dismounted I slipped a bit and about bit it. I took the other shoe off right away and ran barefoot to my spot. Better than T1 though.

Shoes were a bit too tight so couldn't get out of them as easy as I would have liked thus dismounting with one on and one off.
Run
  • 28m 14s
  • 3.62 miles
  • 07m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Pushed myself enough on the bike that the start of the run sucked. My legs were pretty much jello but since we had run the course last week, I knew all I needed to do was get to the top, then my pace quickened and finished pretty strong. Only passed by 2 guys, one right off the bike and the other in the last 1.5 miles or so, just a lot stronger runner. I did pass about 5 runners though along the way so happy with that too. Saw Woz right towards the end but he was too strong for me to catch him that late.

I think I had some juice left and could have ran harder longer.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a part of a bagel, a banana, and a little HEED. No real stretching or warm-down. Watched the rest of the crew finish and just hung out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training - could have worked a lot harder to be better prepared on the bike and run. I felt the swim was pretty good, adrenaline was there to push me along. Pushed pretty hard there, might have been smarter to lay of a bit on the swim.

Nutrition - didn't eat like I wanted to last night, didn't make the time.

Event comments:

It's a nice race, I'd like the swim a little more organized, need to get people in the right locations on the swim. The course isn't too difficult but I think I could easily do better next time and continue to improve there. Not completely flat, which is nice, but not terribly hilly either. I should have entered the Clydesdales! I would have won that! Oh well. My placements exclude the tope 3 finishers, otherwise I'd be 28th/7th.

Last updated: 2007-08-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:30 | 437 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/38
Overall: 44/237
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: Pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:05 | 14.95 miles | 21.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/38
Overall: 17/237
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:14 | 03.62 miles | 07m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/38
Overall: 0/237
Course: All uphill for the first half, nice downhill, and then relatively flat to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-12-08 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Anthem Holiday Classic

2007-12-09 10:24 AM
in reply to: #1090586

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Anthem Holiday Classic
sweet job...
2007-12-09 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

Great Race Zach.

25th overall is a real nice showing. It was nice competing with you and enjoyed hanging out before and after the race. I had a nice chat with the GF (Cindy?). I think she just might have a tri within her. She is a natural competitor.

2007-12-09 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Awesome job Zach!!!! Great to see you out there competing- sorry about the heckling in transition- I wouldn't have hassled you if I'd known how slow my transitions were going to be, Ha!

Super strong on all the events, you will be an AG award winner very soon! Well done!

2007-12-09 12:20 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-12-09 4:41 PM

Elite
the desert
Great race - - you were smokin' fast!

2007-12-09 9:39 PM

Master

There's a great Podcast I'll show you, where the guy evaluates different people doing transitions during a race. Excellent stuff I think you'd be interested in.

You REALLY did amazing Saturday.  I see you on the podium a LOT in the future. What makes it even more impressive is that you are in a fast age group.  

Way to go Zach. You worked hard for this and deserve the success you had. Really proud of you!!! 

2007-12-10 9:34 AM

Pro
AZ
Sweet race Zach!!!  I think you did well considering all the little things that were bugging you....shirt, shoes, hecklers, GI issues....  And hey.....25th overall.  JUST LIKE ME!  Now your just as cool as me! Hahaha!!!  You're very strong and are going to do well this coming season!!!
2007-12-10 9:49 AM

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)
Great race (even if you forgot the dress )!  Now you have to get in on the fun with the Crocs!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Anthem Holiday Classic Rss Feed