DCB Adventures
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 32m 37s
Overall Rank = 25/156
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/21
Pre-race routine:

Got there at 8:30 before the men's race at 9. The men were all racked together at the end of the first rack. So I racked in the same rack but on the girls side. It was cold and nasty. Had been raining all night and still spitting off and on. Sally showed up moments later.
Swim
  • 08m
  • 400 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

I think I have figured out why my goggles take on water during races, but never while training. When racing, I wear my hair in such a way that is not pretty, but highly functional. It allows me to never worry about it, AND it allows me to not wear a swim cap if we don't have to. BUT the benefit of wearing one is that I put it across the stop of my swim mask goggles, and I now think that helps it seal. At the last two races I have not worn a cap and both times my goggles immediately started taking on water. Grrrrrr!! After 2 laps I had to stop and dump them out.
My swim time of 8 min is an estimate. The timing mat outside of the pool apparently only worked for a handful of people. This is irritating because when I ran over it I did not hear it beep, so I stopped, backed up and ran over it again. Still no beep. At this point I said screw it and kept going. So when I take my total time and back out all the other times they DID catch, I am left with 11:14 for my swim and T1. T1 was long due to the freaken 1/2 mile run from the pool to transition. It was crazy!
I feel like I had a good swim for me. I kept going and kept my breathing on the walls to a minimum. I pushed off in each lane and swam under the rope. (No hitting the wall, walking under the rope and then pushing off). So I was happy with that. I found out it really helps to have Woz at the end of each lane yelling at you!

Transition 1
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

The run from the pool to transition was insanely long. I am not sure why they did things differently this time around, but Transition was not where it usually was, and neither was the finish. The run also had us going over shrubbery and parking medians. Nice. Nothing like wrenching your ankle on a stupid course! I was able to dry off while running to T1, and that helped. I threw on my SOMA long sleeve tech shirt over my tri suit cuz it was so freaken cold!! I was worried about my hands being frozen on the bike as they had been frozen all morning, but the pool magically restored blood flow to them.
Bike
  • 48m 10s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.69 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike was ok. Not my fastest bike, and not my fastest on this course. I think the winds really slowed me down, and the fact that it was so cold. Your muscles just felt so tight the entire time. Our thighs were bright pink!!
What would you do differently?:

Somehow go faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Had a good T2. Off and on with my crap. I forgot to get my little flask out of my cooler that I wanted to carry on the run, so it took a few seconds to dig that out. But I am glad I did!! The first aide station was RIGHT after T2. Stupid!! And the only other one was at the half way point. I like to drink when I want to drink, so I always have water on me no matter how short the race, and I never regret it. I hate having a dry mouth and throat!

Have my flask out.
Run
  • 31m 35s
  • 3.6 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

It's so funny on the runs because I feel like I am running as fast as my body will let me, but yet I am still getting passed and it pisses me off. I have to really focus and tell myself I am running MY race. I actually was happy with my run time because I thought I was running much slower than that. About 1/2 mile in a 27 yr old came up on me and said "You were a force to be reckoned with on the bike! I just couldn't catch you!" As slow as I was going on the bike, apparently there were others slower! YAY! I was able to pick off some runners on the course, and always said nice work or good job to them. I often do that, even on the bike. There are some real jerks out there, but I just want to let everyone know how proud I am of them for just being out here and choosing this over their couch. The ONE person in my AG that I saw the entire time on the course was on the run. I passed her with probably a 1/2 mile to go. I again said Nice work, and she said nothing. Nice. Whatever. I felt weird being the LAST person my group was waiting for to finish. Sally finishes days before me. I was trying to hurry up and get done so people could leave!! I think on this run I decided that reverse Tris are where I really shine. I can get off a fast run, my legs are then warmed up for the bike and I can totally blow them out while on the bike because you don't have to save them for a run. I don't need my legs for swimming, so I can totally use them up. My swim is going to suck whether it is at the beginning or at the end, so might as well be at the end. Plus, transitions are just much faster as well. Have to find more reverse tris!!!

Not much. I stopped right after the bridge and dropped my heels over the edge of the cement and stretched out my calves. I knew the hills that were before me, and if I did not do this, I was going to really be in pain, so I am glad I took a few seconds to do it. My feet were so cold off the bike that with every step I had pain shooting up into my legs. Took about 1/4 of a mile for it to stop. Ouch!
Post race
Warm down:

In EVERY race, the wonderful volunteers at the end who take your timing chip ALWAYS bend down and take it off you. They realize this is what they are there for, and if WE do it, we could pass out from putting our heads down there. Sooo....I run past the timing mat, and this little 17rd old Goth girl yells "I need your chip!" So I stop, and hold my leg out in front of her. She is busy texting on her phone. She just stares at my leg. I just stare at her. I FINALLY reach down rip it off, and when I come back up she is holding her hand out. I held it up about a foot above her hand and dropped it. All while glaring at her. I will be dropping a note to the whacked out DBC guy to let him know that volunteers should actually WANT to be there and WANT to do their job and NOT be text messaging!!! GRRRRR!!!! This really pissed me off. I volunteer at races too to give back, and I always give 100% for those people racing. The electronic ME generation does not make for a good volunteering pool.

Event comments:

I have said it before, and I will say it again....Yes, Anthem is a little sprint race, and people can poo-poo it all they want, but it is challenging. Most of the Tri Family Racing races are nice a flat and simple. Super fast. Anthem is NOT flat on the bike OR the run, and always pushes your mental capability. Throw in the cold, wind and spitting rain, and it gets really fun! Last year this race kicked my butt. I had a great swim, and then tanked on the bike and run due to the hills. I think it was only my 3rd or 4th tri ever, and everything I had done up to that point was flat. I wanted to do this race again to improve on my times, and kick ITS butt. The bike this year was a mile longer and the run was 1/2 mile longer, so my overall time is like a minute slower. My swim was the same, but the difference was this year I seeded myself with the 8min people instead of the 12 min people, and that helped tremendously. I was more "in" with people of similar abilities through out the whole race. My bike was a bit faster (I remember it was windy last year too), and my run was much faster. I think my mile splits last year were 10:14. This year's run was half a mile longer. I actually felt best on the last mile. I think I could have really done much better overall if the weather had not been so cold and nasty, but it is what it is. I'll take 5th in my AG and 25th overall.
The thing that made this race so great was all the ESCKTC peeps that were there. Woz, Zach, Rick, Aaron, and Jerry were racing. Chris was our cheerleader. Sally and I raced, and Zach's new girl was there to cheer us on as well. I also got to see Travis and his new girl Amy. We all laughed and had such a great time! It was great to be there for Aaron's first tri! He has been working so hard, and he finally DID IT!! We are all very proud of him!

Last updated: 2007-11-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:00 | 400 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/156
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pool swim. Down and back in same lane, then under the rope.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:14
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:10 | 15 miles | 18.69 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Usual Anthem course. Lots of hills. It was relatively calm for the men, but the winds started to pick up toward the end of their race. We had some pretty strong headwinds on the bike. Grrrrrr!! There is this really nice back stretch where you are finally done climbing for 2 miles, and you SHOULD be going fast on this nice flat, but the headwind made it feel like you were hitting a wall!!
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:35 | 03.6 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Course: Weird run course. They had us u-turning out of T2 and running down this chute that made us run over 3 parking landscaping curbs. It was bad. Someone could have easily tripped or mangled themselves on the bushes. I remember my leg getting scraped on one right at the end of the chute. The Anthem run is uphill for the entire first half, then down hill or flat for the rest.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-12-09 8:45 AM

Pro
AZ
Subject: Anthem Holiday Classic

2007-12-09 10:09 AM
in reply to: #1090779

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: RE: Anthem Holiday Classic

Great race Tanya. 5th in the AG is real nice. You just missed top 3. The holiday classic sounds so nice an inviting. Next time I'll think about the weather first. The day turned out OK. Just think it could have been even nastier. I felt sorry for the poor kids along the way especially on the run course until I got to timing strap girl.

Keep up the great work. Your training is really showing some nice results.

2007-12-09 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

You did great Tanya! I thought I saw you messing with your goggles. Too bad the course had changed so you can't compare times but you did awesome! You were strong all across the board!

It was fun hanging with you before the race- checking out the guys by the pool (aka laughing at holy pants man) and heckling the guys through transition!  

2007-12-09 12:24 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Nice job out there Tanya

So cool that your racing season extends right through the Winter Time. But it does sound as if it has some interesting challenges.

Certainly another strong finish for you. (5th in your AG)

I bet you guys have some really cool FEs

2007-12-09 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
You know, We should have called this race Chilly Cheeks like the other one in the RR Forum.
2007-12-09 2:26 PM

User image

Master

Awesome job out there! 5th in AG is pretty dang nice, and 25th overall is even better in my book.

You're right about the swim cap. You never complain about the goggles filling up when you wear one. 

That 27 yr old guy isn't the only one out there to get frustrated by your pace.  You always go strong and just wear people down!  Way to go!!! 

2007-12-09 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
Big Bear City, California
Awesome job out there in those chilly conditions.
2007-12-09 11:08 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-12-10 11:05 AM

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)

I go to these races to see how you braid your hair!  So nice that the more I like it, the more your goggle leak! 

But really, great job in the chilly cheak race.  Now you can party harty for the rest of the year before getting down to the business of 2008!

2007-12-10 6:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Great job. Also could you please define "cold". You know some of us have differnet meanings of this word. Nice race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Anthem Holiday Classic Rss Feed