DCB Adventures
COLDF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 52m 53s
Overall Rank = 191/236
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 20/25
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 6am. Took a shower and woke up my daughter to get ready. I had a cup of coffee, myoplex shake and water prior to the race. Drove up to Anthem.
Event warmup:

I did not have much time as I was running a little late. The other guys were there and very relaxed and I showed up last. Naturally, Chris pointed me to the girls side to rack up my bike. Set up transition and went inside for the start.
Swim
  • 10m 17s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

Jerry and I waited around for the crowd to loosen up. We also were attempting to stay warm, so we went indoors and chatted with some newbies. I had a good swim and passed a few folks along the way. I felt good and was able to have good form throughout. This was good for me as previously I would get tired and my form would go to sh**. The warmest part of the entire event was the water.
What would you do differently?:

I think next time I would get in line a little sooner to get the show on the road. I'm sure our supporters would appreciate that as well.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

The run to T1 was pretty long. I quickly toweled off my upper body and put on a LS shirt and a jersey. Helmet and gloves on and I was off. I did not put on socks and would come to regret it later.

Put socks on. It was cold outside. Put Garmin on. I left it in my tri bag. Doh!
Bike
  • 57m 18s
  • 14 miles
  • 14.66 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm still working on the bike. I'm new to this and my inexperience shows. I could never quite get comfortable with a gear. This was partly due to the hills and wind. I was a peddling as fast as I could go. I was not happy that my legs were burning at the start of the first lap. I took a gel and things settled down a bit. I passed a few and got passed by a few to include Jerry. I struggled with a runny nose again and the numbing of my toes. No flats or mechanical issues. Yippee!

put on socks in T1 when the weather is cold. Gain more experience on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

So, I thought I would try to slip out of my shoes before the dismount line. The problem was I started too late. So, my left foot was out and my right foot was still in the shoe at dismount. I ran to the rack with one shoe on and one off. I'm glad no one was laughing at me. I'm sure it was funny. I grabbed my shoes and sat on the curb to put my socks and shoes on.

My practice with mount and dismount of bike. Roll my socks so they are easy to put on.
Run
  • 39m 58s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I got a cramp in my left shin and calf just after the bridge. So. I'm thinking "How nice." I had to walk more than I would have liked to allow it to loosen up. At about the half way point I was able to run without pain.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a banana, recovery drink and bagel. Walked around and met up with the other ESCKTC peeps. Watched Sally and Tanya compete in their races.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather su*ked out there. I am thankful it did not rain on us. I'm just slow at this point. My goal is to keep improving my fitness and times.

Event comments:

Despite what my comments listed above may suggest. I enjoyed myself out there. I enjoy competing against myself and the sharing in the experience with others. It was great to be out there with Aaron during his first race. He did a great job. It was great to have the support of Chris, Matt, Jerry's wife and Zach's GF during the race. Good to see the ESCKTC members competing: Zach, Woz, Jerry, Aaron, Sally and Tanya. It looks like Sally won the the Women's race.

I am now the owner of the Pink Crocs. I am not sure If I won them or lost them, but regardless they are mine for now. There is a pic of the exchange ceremony posted under the Arizona forum

Last updated: 2007-12-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:17 | 437 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/236
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Outdoor pool at Anthem. Serpentine
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:57:18 | 14 miles | 14.66 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops in Anthem community. New pavement
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:39:58 | 03.1 miles | 12m 53s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
The run turned out to be about 3.5 miles
Course: Run through Anthem country club community.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-12-09 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: Anthem Holiday Classic

2007-12-09 12:26 PM
in reply to: #1090923

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Anthem Holiday Classic

Awesome job Rick! Had a lot of fun watching you guys. Way to work thru the bad weather and leg cramp!

Well done!

2007-12-09 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
azstaterick - 2007-12-09 9:38 AM

Great Race Zach.

25th overall is a real nice showing. It was nice competing with you and enjoyed hanging out before and after the race. I had a nice chat with the GF (Cindy?). I think she just might have a tri within her. She is a natural competitor.

Yeah, I completely agree, it was a great time. You did a great job too, have to hit the Sunday morning rides a bit more, get you dialed in for the next one. Yeah, I'm working on it, have to get the bike first and get her to start swimming too, I've got some work there but she's up for it I think.
2007-12-10 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)
Boy, that Jerry guy sure sounds like he was in your way and holding you back.  Overall, you are right in that it was a fun ESCKTC day!
2007-12-10 10:01 AM

Pro
AZ
Nicely done Rick!!! Like you said, the more experience you have doing these races, the better you will be at transitions and knowing when to push on the bike, etc....  But it's all starting to come together for you!!!  Great job!
2007-12-27 5:02 PM

New user

azstaterick - 2007-12-09 10:30 AM

Hi Rick,
I think I was one of the newbies you were talking to at the race. You were saying, you have a group of guys that train in the Chandler area. I'm not sure if there would be room for me or not. But, it would be cool to do some training with people more expirienced than myself. Let me know what you think.
Tim

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Anthem Holiday Classic Rss Feed