General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
48F / 9C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 56m 25s
Overall Rank = 1318/5172
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 69/582
Pre-race routine:

Showered to wake up, had some oatmeal & some water and got in the car. Raced back inside to grab my running jacket *just in case* (though I'd planned on running in a tech t-shirt and my running skirt).

Sat in 45 minutes of traffic trying to exit the highway, someone had neglected to order a traffic cop at a traffic signal that was ONLY cars trying to get off the highway on a Sunday morning. Grrr... Finally got parked and realized it was not 60 something as we'd expected.. it was 52F and sprinkling. Changed my bib from my t-shirt to a long sleeve shirt. Put my baseball hat on. At the last second, I decided to wear my jacket and zip the sleeves off if I got hot. This was a VERY good decision!
Event warmup:

Went to the bathroom at the American Airlines Center *twice* (foreshadowing) and just stayed inside until the very last second. I think everyone else was there too... it was packed! Huddled w/other freezing runners at the starting line and kind of stretched but mostly shivered. Begged them to start the damn race!
Run
  • 1h 56m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile was a lot of dodging since they hadn't organized the start by predicted times. I missed the first mile marker so didn't really know how fast I was going (I seem to do this a lot). Lots of uphills so I was zipping my sleeves off sometime during mile 2, which is always tricky while running. I had to pee *again* which really ticked me off since I'd already gone twice. There was no way I could hold it for the whole race though. I really envied the guys peeing in the trees. And then... I saw a chick run behind a very unsubstantial tree, hold her shorts to the side, and pee standing up! I've never seen any woman do that before... I was both disgusted and inspired.

But no.. I just couldn't go there. I forced myself to stand in line for the porta potty and lost 2 minutes (at least) in the process). My time at mile 2 had been 18 min something, but at 5k it was 34 min ,which really confused me. This would continue for the rest of the race.. I strongly suspect that the mile markers were a little sketchy. (Evidence- they had markers for mile 7 on both sides of the street, but they weren't lined up across from each other!?.. hello?).

There were an impressive amount of people out cheering, it was cold and rainy but there were groups of folks out throughout the beautiful upscale Dallas neighborhoods. One guy was out with a box of kleenex, runners would grab one and blow as they ran by. Had to be a runner. :)

At mile 6 we passed the half/full split but since the marathoners had started an hour earlier than the half we were on our own. Lots of people cheering here. One woman yelled "6 miles! Almost done!!"... I was like, "um... *half*way is not = to *almost*". My legs were pretty tight but I kept chugging away.

The back half was more downhill and more industrial. Lots of bigger streets. At 7ish I took my jacket off completely, stuffed it in its pocket and strapped it around my waist. Again, a little tricky while running. At 8 we did a weird turn around and my right ITB started to bother me (of course, it'd been my left durning training...). Whenever it started hurting I started taking shorter steps and trying to land on the iniside of my big toes. This became my strategy for the remainder of the course... lots of little steps.

By mile 9, my watch said 1:31 or something so I started swearing because not only was I not going to beat my Detroit time, but it looked like I wasn't even going to break 2 hours!! I wanted to cry and give up because as my 4th half marathon of the year, I was looking for a *better* time, not a worse one!! My legs pretty much hurt nice and good by this time and the temps were clearly dropping. By 10 my hands were starting to freeze up. I could see downtown, it just wasn't getting any closer. I didn't know whether to keep pushing or just jog it in due to my crappy predicted time. I couldn't slow down so I kept going.

The rest is kind of a blur except when we merged with the marathoners at mile 12 plus.. there were 4 or 5 little teeny guys who came blowing by us... one guy cramped up and had to walk.. but these were the under 3 hour marathoners, so they were cool to watch. The other motivating thing was that I'd looked at my watch at mile 12 and it said 1:46 something... clearly I had PLENTY of time to finish under 2 hours. I was pretty annoyed that the mile markers seemed so far off. I couldn't really speed up but kept plugging away. 12 seemed eternally long... and then there was the finish line THANK GOD.
What would you do differently?:

Probably would've felt better with some gloves and tights, but there was no way to know. Friday & Saturday were 80s!!
Post race
Warm down:

Wanted to cry immediately after the finish. Grabbed a space blanket and wrapped it around me as tight as possible. Started coughing. Had to pick my medal out of unattended boxes and then pry it out of its plastic bag (not impressed there, folks), while tons of volunteers were handing out crappy, tacky yellow floppy visors instead. WTF? Grabbed water (again, no volunteers) then found the beer tent. WOW! Free beer!

Oh wait, I'm FREEZING. Spent a couple of minutes looking for Tom but figured he was too Hawaiian to be outside anymore. Found him in the AA center again where the post-race party was going on. This was WAY impressive, tons of food and more beer... but I was so cold I couldn't stretch or anything... just shivered and chattered. We were so cold we actually jogged to the car even though it hurt like hell.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cold, the training.

My goal had originally been to get closer to my PR (1:52) on this race as it was only 6 wks after Detroit. After Detroit my goal was just to beat my Detroit time (1:56). Then I forgot to train over Thanksgiving...oops. I'm pretty happy with this time considering that if I subtract 2 min. for potty time I beat both my Detroit time and my Indy mini time from May (1:55). Now if I could just figure out what my H20 intake limits should be!

Event comments:

I was dissapointed with the organization (traffic, start line, finish line), but impressed with the course and the use of the AAC. Nice enough, but we've checked it off our list and won't do it again.

Last updated: 2007-10-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:56:25 | 13.1 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/582
Overall: 0/5172
Performance: Average
Course: Big circle out and back to downtown Dallas. First 6plus was uphill, mostly downhill back to town.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-12-10 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Subject: Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon

2007-12-10 1:15 PM
in reply to: #1092745

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Subject: RE: Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon
Haha, doesnt sound like the best experience ever, but way to stick out it
2007-12-10 1:27 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Great job! Even with the potty stop, that is great!
2007-12-10 5:21 PM
in reply to: #1092814

User image

Champion
the colony texas

great job,,, I think there is a BT plan for going to the potty faster ok maybe not..

glad to see you hit your time goals

2007-12-10 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
That's a pretty darn good showing, especially with little training since turkey day.

So did you get me a cheesy visor.
2007-12-10 8:57 PM

User image

Master
Sachse
That was a great run... especially in that weather.. The course is nice, but I would agree about the start / finish line. Last year the half and the full finishes were separate. It made it easier to navigate, but not many people cheering the half.. they were all over at the full finish...Well, at least when I got there.. haha...

Nice run..

Kenny

2007-12-10 9:27 PM

User image

, North Carolina

Sounds like you and Tom both had a great run.  It would be nice if we could order our weather for races but I haven't figured out how to make that happen.  I always have to hit the port-a-potty on the run.  I remember sitting in one at the Bolder Boulder and hearing hundreds of feet passing just outside the door and thinking how all those people were going to beat me to the finish while I sat on the throne!  Hmmm ... stand, pull shorts aside, let the whole world watch ... that's a new idea!

2007-12-11 4:21 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
You probably would've broke your PR if you hadn't turtled around Kensington last week with me.

Good job.
2007-12-11 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
I agree with you on the visors, those were dumb. It wasn't even sunny!! I am soooo glad they had the blankets though, I was FREEZING when I got in.
2007-12-11 8:50 AM
in reply to: #1094543

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

tikicult - 2007-12-11 9:16 AM I agree with you on the visors, those were dumb. It wasn't even sunny!! I am soooo glad they had the blankets though, I was FREEZING when I got in.

Totally!!

2007-12-11 8:51 AM
in reply to: #1093942

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Well, having the crowds was really nice... but they needed a bit more organization w/the volunteers.  Give me my medal, peeps! 

2007-12-11 8:53 PM

User image

Plano, Tx

OMG.

I totally agree about the traffic management at the exit ramp! Ive done that race 3X and its always bad
congrats on breaking 2hrs though

2007-12-11 10:11 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Great job on the race Jackie. It's hard when the weather isn't what you thought, things are disorganized and the miles aren't marked right. And yet you ran negative splits!! I'm impressed.
2007-12-12 11:11 AM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
BRRR!! That sounds like one cold race. I'm sure figuring out the wardrobe was a challenge. Congrats on plugging through it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed