General Discussion Race Reports! » Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 31m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:20am...got dressed, kissed husband, toasted waffles so I could take them with me in the car, filled my bottles for my waterbelt, got my stuff together and waited for Texmom and her parents to pick me up at 6am. They were right on time!
Event warmup:

Walked around...used the bathroom a few times, chatted with fellow runners, then headed outside to the cold, damp air and waited for the gun.
Run
  • 4h 31m 21s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

When we got outside, Jill saw the pace runners and found the 5:30 pace group. I wanted to go a little faster so I said my good-byes and wished Loftin (Jill's amazing father) and her good luck. I made my way to the 4:30 pace group. There, I met another runner who was on her own. She and I hit it off immediately and decided to stay together. I'm so glad I found her...she was my pace and fun to chat with. She would talk with the spectators and other racers...like me. We kept a pretty good pace for the first 18 miles...my garmin said 9:53. We actually stayed ahead of the pace group by a couple of minutes. At mile 10, my left knee really started aching. I tried to ignore the pain for a few miles. By mile 12, I had to use the potties so while I waited my turn...I swear it took forever...I stretched. My knee bothered me the rest of the run. Strange because I haven't had any trouble with it in months. So we cruised around the lake. A bit chilly, but bearable...Then came Mile 19..."The Wall"...well, I hit it...hard. By this time, we were running a few steps ahead of the 4:30 pace group. Around mile 20, the pace group went past us and I was perfectly fine with it. I had to slow down a bit. Then at mile 21, my new friend, Keziah, was having terrible cramps and needed to walk. I knew if I walked, I would lose my focus so I pressed on solo. The next few miles were VERY long...It felt like someone was playing a cruel joke and stretched out the miles longer than the mile distance. Thank goodness for the supporters. I thanked everyone along the way. Hearing my name over and over was so helpful and motivating. I just kept saying to my self...lead with your heart(thanks Rich)...put one foot in front of the other...My garmin paced me at 12 minute mile on mile 23. After seeing such a slow pace, I told myself to pick it up...I was getting cold and I was ready to be finished. The last 2 miles, I ran with some guys. We chatted which really helped me get through it. I was able to finish strong. It was a great first marathon!
What would you do differently?:

nothing...I feel like I trained smart and ran my race.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around...well, maybe it was more of a shuffle. I got my finisher's medal, hat, and picture taken. I made my way inside to get some food. My knee was killing me and getting down those stairs...pure hell. When I got to the food, nothing was left...okay, yogurt, oranges, apples, popcorn and chicken (these lines were so long, I just couldn't wait) I ended up going back upstairs...ouch...and stretched really well. Then called my husband and kids to come and get me. I was ready for home!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My knee...I don't know why it gave out on me. This whole time training, I had no trouble and we ran about the same pace on our long runs...even faster on some.

Event comments:

The support on the course was fabulous! Plenty of aid stations, live music, spectators...I loved the way everyone cheered everyone on. It was great!

Last updated: 2007-08-24 12:00 AM
Running
04:31:21 | 26.2 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: downtown streets, through neighborhoods, backroads to White Rock Lake, around the lake, back through neighborhoods, then downtown again.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-12-10 8:30 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon

2007-12-10 9:01 PM
in reply to: #1093863

User image

Master
Sachse
Subject: RE: Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon
Great job sticking to it and running your race! I hope your knee starts feeling better..

Kenny
2007-12-10 10:22 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

A very wise man just told me that pain free knee's are over-rated.. I shall pass on this great wisdom to you.. pain free knees are over rated. unless of course it's my knees and they just dont want to bend.. I was most likely running with you at some point I was a little ahead of the 4:30 pace group until the guys dressed up as ugly Dolly Parton's stayed with them for a few more minutes then got passed..

great race and way to gut out those last few miles.. 

2007-12-11 8:25 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Awesome job, I am so impressed!  A 4:30 first marathon is a HUGE accomplishment and I hope to achieve it one of these days.
2007-12-11 8:49 PM

User image

Regular
BLONDIE!!! you kicked some !!! CON GRATULATIONS, Iam very happy with your result.

So what are we shooting for at our next marathon????

take care,

FR
2007-12-15 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Well done, that is a great time for your first marathon.

2007-12-19 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami

ANG!!1

omg..i am so sorry for being so tardy at replying....I am soo proud of you.You have nooo idea!!!

Your race report was wonderful and I know that cruel joke of making the miles longer!!1 hahaha

This was a very impressive time as well... I am glad that you signed up for another one....a half woulf be nice!!!

I had to postpone my races and just focus on the bar...after 1 loss i really need a win....I need to get back into criminal law...although I love immigration..but still...

i hope my little potion master is doing well...one day I promise, we will run a race together.. ou should really look into the Disney half..it is an amazing race that I think your entire family would enjoy...the kids get to go to disney!!1 hahaha

send u all my love!!1 very proud of your constant training..it really payed off.!!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon Rss Feed