General Discussion Race Reports! » Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 04m 46s
Overall Rank = 100/4019
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 20/252
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 5:30. Of course the first thing I had to do was go use the mens room. After I was done in the bathroom I got the other guys up and around. Had the usual cereal bar for breakfast. One of the guys made some coffee so I had a small cup before we left. Left Tims house about 6:45 made it to the American Airline Arena about 7 o'clock. We managed to get to a close parking area without having to fight traffic. Don't know how that happend.
Event warmup:

After we arrived at AA the only warmup I did was walking around trying to find the other guys from Wichita that were trying to break 3 hours. Talked to them three times on the phone before I found them. After pulling my head out of my kiester I found them. Lonnie, Greg and Stan left me with Winston and they were off to find Gregs pacers.

About 20 minutes before the start we headed outside to get to the start line. Fairly uneventful until the start. Chatted alittle with the guys around us and found out that most of them were wanting to run MUCH slower than were they seeded themselves.
Run
  • 3h 04m 46s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

With Frank Shorter on the jumbotron the gun went off and the fun began. We were only about 15 feet from the front so we made it to the chip mats fairly quick. I didn't really have a problem with other people being in the way. It seemed to thin out fairly quickly.

While we were still downtown but about two.5 of three miles in I started to get a peepee urge so I found a nice little unsuspecting bush and made it my personal urinal. I ran about a block off course to use the bushroom. As I got back on course I heard someone say "Hey Jason, Why are you way back here with the slow guys?" I turned around and there was a guy from Salina, Ks that I know from running and triathlons. We talked for awhile then he said well you better get going if you are going to break three hours. Gave him good wishes and was off to find my "FRIENDS". Ran fairly hard to catch back up with them. They were suprised to see me again that quick.

At the seven mile mark I told Winston that I sure didn't seem like we had already run that far. Miles were going by fairly quickly! We were plus or minus a couple seconds on every mile. We were right on pace and feeling good. Made it to the lake and started telling myself "OK you have run around the Augusta Lake a million times. This is just a little bigger version of that."

Somewhere between 11 and 12 miles I started to feel alittle rumbling in my stomach. I could see some port-o-johns up ahead so I mentioned to Winston that I had better stop. He said he wasn't going to slow down and he would stay on pace. I made a quick stop and was again playing catch-up. This time I didn't run as hard to catch him but I still caught him within a mile.

Around 14 miles in he mentioned that negative thoughts were starting to creep into his head. I told him we were alittle under pace and we were doing awesome. If we stuck together we could kill the three hour dragon! On a side note this was his 24th time trying to go under 3. Water, Gatorade and GU were going down good. I had no nutrition problems.

We stayed together until between 17 & 18. When he started to fall back I didn't say anything I just went on about business. He has encouraged me many times during runs when I felt the wheels were coming off! In hindsight I probably should have encouraged him some before I just left him out there. One of the guys, Lonnie, that traveled with us down there was supposed to be at mile 19 waiting for me. He was going to run me in and get me under that damn three hour mark. I never did see him! After talking after the race we must have missed each other by a matter of seconds. Because there was another Wichita guy alittle behind me and Lonnie asked him if he had seen me. John said yeah he is ahead of me abit. So I missed my pacer, damn it boy!

Made it to the Dolly Parton hills. WOW the girls were hot(men dressed in drag)! I stopped to fondle one and the other mentioned something about wanting to be motorboated. So I happily satisfied their needs! From 19 to 21 is where the hills were. I still felt really strong and the hills didn't seem to slow me down a whole lot. I was really pretty scared about the hill going into the race. I train in pancake flat KS.

At about 22 in I could feel my hamstrings start to tighten up. Ok I'm done for the most part! But 4 mile is a long way to deal with cramps. The 22 mile aid station is the first one I walked. I realized that I would have a better chance at finishing strong if I walked the aid stations and made sure I got some good nutrition in me. So I would run between the aid stations then walk and take all the food that I could! I never had a problem with cramps but I could feel that they were very close to happening! Did good running. Probably wasn't sub 7's like they needed to be but my miles weren't far from it.

Mile 24 where the half-marathon merges back with the marathon was inspiring. I managed to hold a good pace from there on in. I skipped the last aid station simply because the road was packed with runners and we were close to being done! The moment I finally let it sink in that I wasn't going to go under 3 was hard but I ran my race and that was all I could do.

Finished abit disapointed simply because there are alot of people back in Wichita that are waiting for me to go sub 3. If I race as good as I can on that day and don't get my goal then so be it! This was only my fourth marathon and I know I have the ability to do it. And I WILL soon!

After the race as we were wundering around the AA I noticed someone that looked awful familiar. I stod in AWE for a minute before I worked up the courage to go introduce myself. "Excuse me JeepFleeb, I'm El Flaco from BT." We chatted for a minute and he introduced me to a bunch of other BTers. Sorry guys I was in the presance of greatness and now I can only remember the names of one of you. So Doughboy the pleasure was mine!
What would you do differently?:

Run more. And do longer long runs. I think my longest this time was 20. Next race I'm going to try increasing my miles and doing some runs closer to race distance!
Post race
Warm down:

No warmdown! It was plenty chilly out. After I crossed the line A guy handed me a hat and told me "Congratulations you finised in the Top 100" My hat says Top 100 on the back. That is cool. Made it to the people handing out medals and I let him put it around my neck. I usually would rather just hold it than wear them. Finisher medals are kind of cheesy if you ask me. Next in line was the ladise with the mylar blankets. I told her I don't think I need one and she politely responded "Yes, you need one". WOW was I glad I had one about 10 minutes later. It got chilly quick!

Sat down outside the AA and just so happens two of the guy I came with walked right by and I didn't have to look for them!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Testicular Fortitude! Lack of distance on my long runs...I think! Mabye I should ask a coach!

Event comments:

This was the biggest race I have done. Volunters and spectators were fantastic! I just love it when somebody you don't know sya something like "Way to go Jason, You look good". Of course I know I look good but it's nice to get reassurance every once in awhile!
I never imagined there would be so many volunteers at the aid stations. And there were spectators at almost all of the intersections. I loved it! I will definitely be back.

Last updated: 2007-08-13 12:00 AM
Running
03:04:46 | 26.2 miles | 07m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/252
Overall: 100/4019
Performance: Average
Didn't keep lap splits. But I know I was on sub 3 pace until about mile 22.
Course: You have probably read other RR and know the course goes from American Airlines Arena around White Rock Lake and back to the Arena!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-12-11 7:47 AM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Subject: Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon

2007-12-11 8:50 AM
in reply to: #1094510

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-12-11 11:23 AM

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon
Great race! Take out a couple of the "emergency" stops, especially the "bush" stop at the beginning that took you off course, and you're sub-3 for sure. You will definitely go under 3 in the near future. Excellent job!
2007-12-11 11:35 AM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Very awesome! Enjoyed the RR...
2007-12-11 12:07 PM

Expert
Longview, TX

Incredible race Jason!  You will beat the "3 hour dragon" soon enough.  Hopefully Texas treated you well!

Congrats on a great race!

2007-12-11 12:29 PM

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Way to run, you'll get under 3 son for sure! Take it easy for a few days!

2007-12-11 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1095275

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Bummer ....... so close but so far!!!

The best thing to take from this is that you would have been able to go under 3 if you didn't have the stomach issues.  Congrats on a fantastic time though!  It is still a remarkable finish!

2007-12-11 4:13 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-12-11 6:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Incredible run man - your training plan worked great.
2007-12-11 7:00 PM

Champion
the colony texas

welcome to texas... I don't think I can bike as fast as you ran this thing....

Way to nail down the top 100..   Hope you make it back next year.. 

2007-12-13 12:49 PM

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Way to go!  Sorry you didn't reach your goal, but it sounds like you had a lot of fun out there and you ran your race.  This will make your next sub 3 hour race even sweeter. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon Rss Feed