Other Resources My Cup of Joe » XX,000 mile check ups Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-11 8:17 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: XX,000 mile check ups
Does anyone do these? It seems to me that most of these are nothing more than a gimmick. I took my VW Touareg to the dealer for an oil change (coupon) last week and the service advisor brings out a brochure explaining that I'm overdue for my 40,000 mile service. "It's a real important milestone; it runs about $700. Make an appointment when you check out and we'll take care of it"

I look at the brochure describing what is done:

Inspect master cylinder, inspect heating / cooling, inspect brakes, inspect and change defective spark plugs (they're Pt plugs and good for 100,000), inspect yada. Change air filter (I did this 3 weeks ago on my own). That's it; inspect.

Really, they're selling a 1/2 day inspection and an air filter for $700? I don't trust this dealer's service department anyway, so I'm skeptical. I didn't do them at the Nissan garage either, but replaced or proactively maintained any wear items when it seemed necessary.

I do a decent job of keeping an eye on wear components and usually trade my cars young (<8years and 125,000). What am I missing?

2007-12-11 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1094544

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: XX,000 mile check ups
Yeesh, they are expensive. However, I did a 65k service for my Accord (waited till 75k actual miles). Needed new tires, and I figured it wouldn't hurt to have the whole car checked up. Changed every drop of fluid, checked alignment, changed the brake pads, and any other technical car stuff I really don't know anything about. Basically, they did everything to it they would have done if they were trying to sell it used. Got it back and it drives like the day I bought it. Noticeable difference for sure. Even detailed the thing. Cleaned the seats, dash, etc., and even gave it a shot of that new car scent (which I could have done without).

I mainly did it because it will cut down on the questions they can ask me if they try to weasel out of any warranty claim I might have in the future. However, I was pretty pleased with the results, despite the +$500 cost. Now, this may have something to do with the dealership I use. It's a two year old Honda dealer and they've consistently had great servive for anything I've needed done, from basic oil changes to when my XM fizzed out.

So, all that rambling leads me to say that since you don't trust the dealer, I probably wouldn't do it with them. I've had great experiences with mine, and I was very pleased with the "check-up" I got.

Oh, and that seems real expensive for 40k miles. Infact, that seems like some unecessary stuff to do after 40k.

Edited by sesh 2007-12-11 8:42 AM
2007-12-11 8:44 AM

User image

Champion

It depends on a couple of factors:

1.  How mechanically inclined you are.
2.  How long you keep your vehicles.

If you're mechanically inclined, and have all the necessary tools, there is no reason to pay for the check-up, you can just do it yourself, including oil changes, transmission fluid changes, fuel filter changes, etc.

Also, if you keep your vehicles until they run into the ground, then the inspection may be able to get more miles for you in the long run by identifying things to be fixed sooner before they become a cascading problem later.

All in all, its personal preference, and where you judge the cost of spending money to operate your car. 

ETA:
Since you don't trust your dealer, I wouldn't have them do it anyway.  Take it to another dealer, or take it to a trusted garage.  Any well-equiped garage service should be able to get the needed parts and perform the maintenance inspection for you.

Edited by CubeFarmGopher 2007-12-11 8:47 AM
2007-12-11 8:51 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

I've got a couple of cars that have "recommended" service schedules at various mileposts.  In fact, my cars even have lights that come on (and stay on) until you have the vehicle serviced.

When my car was under warranty, this servicing was included free of charge, so no questions asked, I took it the dealership.  Now, I take it to my local mechanic (whom I trust implicitly) and he eyeballs the car to let me know if anything is needed.  Costs a mere fraction than the dealership.

IMO, these mileage check-ups are a scam if you are paying out of pocket and using a dealership.  If you have a trusted local guy or can do it yourself, it works as a good reminder to do certain things.  Then again, I get my oil changed once a year in my cars, so I also feel that "every 3K miles" oil change thing is a scam - but then again, I use synthetic oil AND am following the manufacturer's recommendations. 

2007-12-11 8:54 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
And another thing - don't be fooled into thinking that if you use the dealership and they enter this vehicle "servicing" information into the computer it will help with a trade-in (e.g. improve the value of your trade b/c you can prove you took great care of the car).  My wife's car was serviced for 4 years (until the warranty expired) by a dealership - we then traded it in on a new model of the same vehicle and even though the computers showed our religious dedication to have the car regularly serviced - it didn't add a penny to the trade-in value.
2007-12-11 8:58 AM
in reply to: #1094639

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
condorman - 2007-12-11 8:51 AM

I've got a couple of cars that have "recommended" service schedules at various mileposts.  In fact, my cars even have lights that come on (and stay on) until you have the vehicle serviced.

Check your owners manual. There is usually a way to turn these lights off. IIRC, I have to press and hold the odometer reset button while switching the ignition on.

2007-12-11 9:11 AM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Welcome to the wonderful world of VW. It is standard across all their vechicles. I have a '06 Jetta and I am dreading the day when the 40k rolls around.

Check and see if you have a VW certified mechanic not associated with a dealership in your area. Generally those guys will do what is needed for you at a much better price and will do what is needed and not just random inspections.
2007-12-11 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1094664

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
the bear - 2007-12-11 9:58 AM

I've got a couple of cars that have "recommended" service schedules at various mileposts. In fact, my cars even have lights that come on (and stay on) until you have the vehicle serviced.

Check your owners manual. There is usually a way to turn these lights off. IIRC, I have to press and hold the odometer reset button while switching the ignition on.

my mechanic printed out the steps for both of my cars so I can reset these "reminder" lights.  and actually, for my cars - they don't print this info in the owner's manual but rather recommend that you see an "authorized" dealer to have them reset the lights.  (the "bend over and grab your ankles" is implied

2007-12-11 9:31 AM
in reply to: #1094744

User image

Champion
condorman - 2007-12-11 10:26 AM
the bear - 2007-12-11 9:58 AM

I've got a couple of cars that have "recommended" service schedules at various mileposts. In fact, my cars even have lights that come on (and stay on) until you have the vehicle serviced.

my mechanic printed out the steps for both of my cars so I can reset these "reminder" lights.  and actually, for my cars - they don't print this info in the owner's manual but rather recommend that you see an "authorized" dealer to have them reset the lights.  (the "bend over and grab your ankles" is implied

To go a step further, if you're interested in the data itself, buy an OBD II reader.  There is a data port in your driver's side footwell that you can jack into and read all of your system diagnostics.  You can get an exact nature of that "Service Engine Soon" light and, if you want, turn it off.

Some readers will even hook into your laptop for real-time display of driving information.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » XX,000 mile check ups Rss Feed