BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MForger18's Group- Closed- Find your seats bc the shows about to begin Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2008-02-09 9:57 PM
in reply to: #1095000

User image

Australia
Subject: RE: MForger18's Group- Closed- Find your seats bc the shows about to begin
I have something else to ask about...

My first tri was a month ago - 500m/20km/5km. 90 mins. I really trained hard (for only 3 months though as I just had a baby before that) & was really happy with that outcome. I now have a race next weekend & I know I haven't trained anywhere near as well as before. Do you think I would have lost a considerable amount of fitness in a few weeks? I've even managed to put on a couple of kgs which I'm very disappointed with myself about. I guess I just need to hear that I'm not a complete fool to still be doing the tri next weekend (500m/26km/6km)

2008-02-10 12:21 AM
in reply to: #1203258

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: MForger18's Group- Closed- Find your seats bc the shows about to begin

MForger18 - 2008-02-09 9:05 PM Lets talk wetsuits. Do you use one, what kind? Do you have any questions regarding them, OR any tips or secrets that you do? I just heard on a podcast that it is actually faster to strip the wetsuit right away, not at transition so Im going to try that next time. What do you guys do. Lets open the floor...WETSUITS, WETSUITS, WETSUITS.

I bought a Nineteen wetsuit to swim in our lake in Northern WI which is pretty cold during the summer.  I was amazed how much flotation it provided.  I barely needed to kick at all.  I am a better swimmer now than back then so I am hoping it shows once I am back in OW practicing.  Peeling?  I hadn't even thought of that process!  It takes me forever to get into the darn thing, but far less time to get out of it once it is wet.

2008-02-10 7:42 AM
in reply to: #1203333

User image

Veteran
Denver CO
Saundy - 2008-02-09 8:57 PM

I have something else to ask about...

My first tri was a month ago - 500m/20km/5km. 90 mins. I really trained hard (for only 3 months though as I just had a baby before that) & was really happy with that outcome. I now have a race next weekend & I know I haven't trained anywhere near as well as before. Do you think I would have lost a considerable amount of fitness in a few weeks? I've even managed to put on a couple of kgs which I'm very disappointed with myself about. I guess I just need to hear that I'm not a complete fool to still be doing the tri next weekend (500m/26km/6km)

I think that as long as you adjust your expectations a bit you should be fine. Just go out and enjoy it, you cannot have the race of your life every time around. I hope the fun of racing will provide the motivation to jump back into the training, it always does for me.

Good luck in your race!
2008-02-10 7:54 AM
in reply to: #1203258

User image

Veteran
Denver CO
Wetsuits...yes I got a QR suit, perfect fit to swim in nice and tight, always a bit of trouble to get out of it though. I learned an interesting trick for Joanna Zeiger though, body glide on the OUTSIDE of the legs and arms so the suit slides better over itself when pulling it of. Also a bit more scary, cut off a piece from the legs and arms to make them a bit shorter and easier to take off.

The suit is great to swim in, makes life easy. Unless you are a big kicker though, with the higher position in the water, you do have to get used to it a bit. Practice..practice...but nice and comfy.

On a different note, I did find a coach, Julia Purrington. She is a great athlete, a very nice person, and did absolutely great last year in the Escape from Alcatraz which is the type of experience I am looking for. I am now logging my training on Trainingpeaks instead of here...so no I have not given up

The other good news, the Cervelo P2C Ultegra I ordered might be shipped this month instead of April...Jihhhaaaaa

Edited by bertvl 2008-02-10 7:55 AM
2008-02-10 10:00 AM
in reply to: #1203333

User image

Champion

Saundy - 2008-02-09 9:57 PMI have something else to ask about...My first tri was a month ago - 500m/20km/5km. 90 mins. I really trained hard (for only 3 months though as I just had a baby before that) & was really happy with that outcome. I now have a race next weekend & I know I haven't trained anywhere near as well as before. Do you think I would have lost a considerable amount of fitness in a few weeks? I've even managed to put on a couple of kgs which I'm very disappointed with myself about. I guess I just need to hear that I'm not a complete fool to still be doing the tri next weekend (500m/26km/6km)

To be honest, yes you will have lost fitness if you haven't trained enough to maintain your base.  I have read that you can lose as much as 15% in a week.  If it were me, I would focus on a couple of key things you want to improve on in this race (e.g. better transitions, coming out of the water, riding position on the bike, etc) that don't rely solely on fitness.  It may not show up on the clock, but it surely will help you next time around.  All the best.

Edited by SSMinnow 2008-02-10 10:03 AM
2008-02-10 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1203492

User image

Expert
Carmel
Hey Linda- Like Bert said, you cannot have the race of your life every time out. You should do the race to enjoy it and have fun. Use it as motivation for whats to come. Readjust your goals for this race and try to aceive them. A few weeks will make a small difference but in a race thats relatively short, you should have the fitness to do well and probably surprise yourself.

As for the wetsuits. I did cut the legs on mine to make exiting easier. Also coming from a swimming background I didnt really like the feeling of having something all the way down my legs. I use bodyglide religiously. That stuff is great. As for the fit, it has to be comfortable. I had a coach tell me that it should be slightly restictive when dry and on land but once in the water it will fit well, and he was absolutly right. Im 5'10'' and weigh about 175 and swim in a Zoot Z1 size small. Thats my full suit, I also have a sleeveless thats a med thats a Z2 but they really fit the same. Weird. I think its because the Z1 has material that is much more flexible.

A trick when getting it on- pull on the bottom half and really hike it up into your crotch area. This should give you room to comfortably get your arms in. Once your arms are in, bend down like a catcher in baseball, holding the suit by the shoulder baldes, unzipped. This will keep the suit loose over your shoulders, and minimize bunching in your arm pits. After this is done, zip up and get in the water. Make sure that you get a small layer of water on the inside, it will help the suit fit to your body and loosen up everything. I actually fill the suit up with a lot of water then get completely out and the water drains leaving a small amt. adjust the shoulders, and you should be ready to go.

...and yes, for those of you on the fence about getting one- it does make you faster. As long as it fits right. The weaker you are a swimmer, the more it will help also. As a strong swimmer I save about 7-10 seconds per 100yds. Over a mile its about 2-3 mins.

2008-02-10 3:14 PM

User image

Australia
THanks for the advice & honesty guys. I appreciate it. I am going to do as you have said & go & do my best on the day, but not be too worried about the time. Last time I had a time that I just REALLY wanted to make, whereas this time I'll just be happy to finish, even if it's slower than last time, that's OK.

I am amazed at how much difference a wetsuit makes to times!!!!! I had an inkling, when in our last tri, one of the girls who is slower than another, but wore a wetsuit, beat the stronger girl in th tri. And I know she doesn't swim stronger than her in the pool...
2008-02-11 5:38 PM

User image

Regular
Rehab with Brittney
I just purchased a Profile Design Aquaman Blitz wetsuit. The sizing on the wetsuit was totally wrong, so its since been shipped back and I'm waiting on my new one. I've never actually used one before (all my previous races were sprint distances), but my club start's OWS practice next month so I plan to start using it a few times before any races.
2008-02-12 8:31 PM

User image

Expert
Carmel
Def a good idea. I usually stat 2 weeks out from a race with my wewtsuit to get used to it. Even if its in the pool for just the warmup. Make sure that puppy is comfortable when you get in for the race.
2008-02-20 7:17 AM

User image

Who knew how much you used your ankle. After tweaking my ankle running, I have had trouble walking for the past 2 weeks. It is starting to feel better so I am going to try to row today. In addition to that, I was so sick that I could barelyget out of bed. Talk about a wonderful way to start a week of vacation.

So I am going to get back to training without pushing my ankle too much.

I hope all the rest of you are having fun training. I saw a great show on Saturday morning about the Kona Triathalon and it was a great motivation.
2008-02-21 11:51 AM

User image

Expert
Carmel
Hey guys, sorry I havnt been around much. I am applying for a new unit at work so Ive been meeting different people and doing a ton of paperwork. I admit it, Ive been a slacker when it comes to training but Im sick of the cold. Im still checking up on everyone's logs, for those of you that are logging your training.

Anyway hows everything going? Triaining? Sick of winter yet?

2008-02-21 3:40 PM

User image

Regular
Rehab with Brittney
Training's been going good here, but like everyone, I can't wait till it warms up a little. I'm sick of spinning on the trainer and ready to get some real riding in.

One thing I've noticed, I'm slow as a rock in all 3 disciplines

Bike = slow
running = slower
swimming = slowest

Any ideas other than trying to go faster and harder on how to get quicker Genetics suck
2008-02-21 8:27 PM
in reply to: #1226708

User image

Champion

zenile - 2008-02-21 3:40 PM Training's been going good here, but like everyone, I can't wait till it warms up a little. I'm sick of spinning on the trainer and ready to get some real riding in. One thing I've noticed, I'm slow as a rock in all 3 disciplines Bike = slow running = slower swimming = slowest Any ideas other than trying to go faster and harder on how to get quicker Genetics suck

Bike more, run more, swim more .  Isn't that helpful? 

Honestly, I am counting on more time in the saddle (albeit on a trainer) will yield positive results on the road this spring.  My running improved the most by getting a coach and following a training plan to include a lot of EZ pace miles and Tempo runs. My swimming coach just videotaped me and while it was pitiful to watch, it will help me get a handle on how to make improvements.  Form seems to be the most important in this discipline so that is what I am working on the hardest. Hopefully distance and then speed will come with it.

2008-02-21 10:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver CO
Hi Matt, need some bike advice. My P2C ultegra was originally scheduled for April, then they emailed me it would be here end of February, but now it appears we are back to April. The guys at the store are trying to make it up to me by offering me the following options:"There are a couple of options I'd like to extend to you. We have a P2C Dura Ace bike that is scheduled for delivery very soon. We would like to offer you this bike instead, at a discounted cost to you. We'd be happy to split the difference on that bike and the Ultegra, selling you the Dura Ace bike for $2750 instead of the normal $3000. The other option would be for us to get in a frameset (frame, fork, seatpost) and then build up the bike with Ultegra components. The advantage to this option is that you can substitute any parts that you want to very easily (when we order a bike from Cervelo, it comes with a certain mix of parts standard). The price is normally between $2500 and $2700 for an Ultegra group added to the frameset price (depending on the exact parts you choose)."

Then of course the final option is to wait and see if they throw in a pair of Ultegra pedals. The P2C Ultegra is priced at $2500. I don't know enough about bikes to make educated decisions on the various components, so I am not sure whether building it from the frame is a good option for me. The P2C Dura Ace for $2750 is not bad. Not only does it have Dura Ace components but it also has an upgraded fork.

What do you think?
2008-02-21 10:10 PM
in reply to: #1226708

User image

Veteran
Denver CO
zenile - 2008-02-21 2:40 PM

Training's been going good here, but like everyone, I can't wait till it warms up a little. I'm sick of spinning on the trainer and ready to get some real riding in.
One thing I've noticed, I'm slow as a rock in all 3 disciplines
Bike = slow
running = slower
swimming = slowest
Any ideas other than trying to go faster and harder on how to get quicker Genetics suck

Here is my two cents, don't worry too much about speed. It takes patience and consistency to create endurance. Long easy bike rides, easy runs high cadence good form, easy swims focus on form and good technique. Most of all have fun. You will be amazed how much progress you make that way.

Enjoy.
2008-02-27 9:44 PM

User image

Australia
Where is everyone? I haven't been on much & expected to have been left behind completely!

I feel like my motivation has come back completely!! Bad timing though as I did my last race for the season last week. But I'm already planning for next year & really want to build a good base.

I bought clipless pedals!!! I'm going to put the bike on the windtrainer tonight & practice getting in & out of them, then it's my long ride tomorrow morning.

2008-02-27 9:58 PM
in reply to: #1240425

User image

Veteran
Denver CO
Saundy - 2008-02-27 8:44 PM

Where is everyone? I haven't been on much & expected to have been left behind completely!

I feel like my motivation has come back completely!! Bad timing though as I did my last race for the season last week. But I'm already planning for next year & really want to build a good base.

I bought clipless pedals!!! I'm going to put the bike on the windtrainer tonight & practice getting in & out of them, then it's my long ride tomorrow morning.

Our group has gone kind of quiet. I started logging on Trainingpeaks.com with my new coach but I missed the BT community. Now I am logging in both places. Do you have any BT pals were you live? Here in Colorado there are a ton of BT-ers and they are a great bunch. Some are amazing athletes, some amazing drinkers, and some are both!!!

It is always great to be motivated Now you can enjoy some long runs and rides in winter and build killer endurance for next year. A sprint tri will feel like a piece of cake!!! For me the season is about to start, my new bike is supposed to arrive soon...YEAH!! I decided for the Cervelo P2C Dura-ace...so sweet
2008-02-29 10:30 AM

User image

Regular
Rehab with Brittney
Well, woe is me....I've torn some ligaments in my thumb. Its going to require surgery, which I'll probably have next week. I'm currently in a splint, but I still plan to run and bike (at least as much as I can stand), but I'm not sure how much swimming I'll be able to get in while I'm recovering from this.

Argh!
2008-03-01 12:42 PM

User image

Expert
Carmel
Hey guys sorry I havnt been around much to keep it going. I got a little, actually very crazy at work for a few weeks and fell into a sort of rut with tris. I have been busting my trying to make more of a name for myself in the unit that I am in, while going through the application process to get into a bigger, better plainclothes unit that covers all of Manhattan from 59 St-North.
If I get this spot, Ive been told that you pretty much write your own ticket into a detective sheild so Ive really been focusing on that.

As far as tris, it all kind of snowballed on me with missing workouts bc I was going in early or staying late that I just lost most of my motivation, and that included surfing the net and blogging. I apologize to you guys that I am supposed to be mentoring. For what its worth, even though I havnt been commenting, I have been checking out your logs, for those that log.

Bert, I would have said to do the same thing as far as DA to Ultegra for 1/2 the money. It is def a good upgrade esp if that is something that you may have upgraded in the future.

Keep training guys, the season is right around the corner. Ill be on more in the coming days as I have 3 days off of work coming up and the app process is slowing down.
2008-03-01 4:17 PM
in reply to: #1245812

User image

Champion

Matt

Glad to see you are still around and doing well.  It sounds like the career opportunity is worth pushing off the training a bit.  Just don't forget all work and no play.....makes you boring and fat! Laughing. Kidding!

I am two weeks away from kicking of my season with a half marathon in Nashville.  From there it is off to Boston and then a refocus towards the bike and the swim.  I signed up for my first tri in July, a little freaked, but it is a aways away.  I am also planning to take an OWS class offered by my swim coach which should start once the lake thaws (assuming that happens this year given our winter).  Now that should be interesting.

Suzy

2008-03-04 8:02 AM

User image

Matt - I am in the same boat as you. I figured it out yesterday that I have been traveling for work 24 our of the last 56 days. I am trying to get in workouts when I can but I have not had the mental focus to make that a priority.

One a good note - I get to wear my NY Giants Superbowl hat to Boston tomorrow!

2008-03-13 10:56 AM

User image

I am starting a new plan on Monday and with all my traveling, I want to print out the details of each workout so I can take it with me. Does anyone know how to print out the details of a plan from BT without having to print each workout seperatly by pressing the View button. I want the whole plan as the 2 week detail view.
2008-03-15 11:23 PM
in reply to: #1269585

User image

Expert
Carmel
i would copy and paste into a word processing program, that way you can shrink the font down and get everything onto only a few pages.
2008-03-27 9:50 AM

User image

Regular
Rehab with Brittney
Well, I got the cast off yesterday, but the doctor still wants me to take it easy for the next 3 weeks with no swimming. I'll still be in a splint during this time, so I'm going to concentrate on running and biking during this time. Obviously, the olympic that I had planned on racing in April is not going to happen, so I'm focusing on a May sprint race.

Hope everyone else is training is going better than mine.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MForger18's Group- Closed- Find your seats bc the shows about to begin Rss Feed  

of 7