Overcast
Total Time = 1h 11m 18s
Overall Rank = 81/312
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 17/35
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:30
Had a bagel with peanut butter and banana for breakfast
Drank 20oz bottle of cytomax (180 calories) on way to race, finishing about 1 hour prior to start.
Event warmup:

45 minutes prior to start, I ran at easy pace to loosen up for about 25 minutes. I was wearing wind jacket and tights, which I removed prior to start. I ran in shorts and long sleeve shirt. Had light gloves and ball cap.
Run
  • 1h 11m 18s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall had a good race. Prior to the start I heard someone behind me talking about his goal of a 1:10 for the race. This was in the range I was shooting for, so decided to pace him and see how things go. Started vrey quickly, holding pace against the other runner. The first three miles came in around 7:23 pace, and was feeling pretty good - I was right on the edge, but felt like things were settling in. Held the pace through mile 5, and then things started to decline - I decided to go for water around 5.5, the person I was following did not - I wasn't able to get back on his pace and started to fall behind. Mile 7 and 8 were not strong, with HR droping a solid 10 beats off the first half. I got my mind focused again and set myself up determined for a strong finish - slowly picked the pace up and went as hard as I could for the final 1.3 miles. Had a good finish - not quite the goal time of 1:10, but still a good race. My 10k split beat even beat my PR for 10k distance.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not have gone for the drink station - I thinkit would have been better to run with my own fluids.
Post race
Warm down:

2 cups of gatorade, bagel and banana

Event comments:

This was a great late season test of fitness!

Last updated: 2007-12-12 12:00 AM
Running
01:11:18 | 9.32 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/35
Overall: 81/312
Performance: Good
Course: Course was two loops in quiet waters park. There were lots of twist and turns, most of the course was paved walking paths. generally flat, with lots of short ups and down.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes