BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jldicarlo's group -- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-03-21 2:00 PM
in reply to: #1098568

New user

Subject: RE: jldicarlo's group -- CLOSED
Ah, the good old nipple chafing issue...

I've done several things to avoid this. One is exactly what Jennifer suggested, which is to use bandaids. Unfortunately, I am usually sweating pretty heavy and so this hasn't always worked for me.

A second option is to wear only technical shirts that have to stretch to fit you (i.e.; Underarmor-style fabric). The only problem with this is that if you don't have them on during your swim you're not going to want to have to pull them over the top of your head at T1 because you're going to look like someone who's never gotten dressed by their self before as you try to stretch the shirt over your wet skin (a mistake that cost me a good minute at my first Olympic race).

A final option - & one that some would argue is not that appealing - is to use something like one of the skin coating sprays such as ToughSkin. I've done this before with great success...the only problem is that it worked a little too well and took a while to finally wash off.

Hope this helps.

2008-03-21 11:26 PM

New user

Just a crazy question... But who out of this group would be up for doing Buffalo Springs next June - 2009? We should all do it as a "We made it through 2008 together" accomplishment team-ish thing. Comm'on whaddya say? Anyone? Anyone?

2008-03-28 9:20 PM
in reply to: #1286829

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

joel.wilkins - 2008-03-22 7:26 AM Just a crazy question... But who out of this group would be up for doing Buffalo Springs next June - 2009? We should all do it as a "We made it through 2008 together" accomplishment team-ish thing. Comm'on whaddya say? Anyone? Anyone?

I plan on doing BSL as soon as I am actually in the stinking country for it.  I've done it twice...it's my favorite race!

2008-04-11 7:10 AM
in reply to: #1301013

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ

HELLO, IS ANYONE OUT THERE?? I really need some help: 3 weeks ago, i started a new job and now have a 50 minute commute each way. i used to have my gym and office 5 minutes away from the house so i could get up and out at 5 and still get to the office by 7:30 or so. now, with my commute, my training time is incredibly tight. look at my log -- you'll see i've crashed/burned training wise. i can't do nearly the volume. i really want to achieve the philly tri-olympic on june 22 but am getting anxious and frustrated by my inability to train. it is also affecting family-life -- 3 kids, dog, so there's shopping, laundry, bills, taxes, homework, school-issues, etc. etc. etc.

i really don't want to quit -- i have a lot invested physically and mentally. i need to adjust my regimen but don't know how. HELP! how do i adjust the training program to accommodate my much more limited time and still have a decent shot at finishing the olympic. i figure i could do about 1 1/2 hours a day mon-fri, have saturday off and sunday around 2 hours.

all suggestions are welcome.
2008-04-14 9:22 PM

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Ok, I'll respond to myself: Here is what I'm thinking: 1 sport per day, 6 days per week, so I do each sport 2x per week, alternating endurance and speed/strength. Thoughts?
2008-05-10 9:42 AM
in reply to: #1338071

Expert
Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Elliot - 2008-04-14 9:22 PM Ok, I'll respond to myself: Here is what I'm thinking: 1 sport per day, 6 days per week, so I do each sport 2x per week, alternating endurance and speed/strength. Thoughts?

Look, do one sport per day during the week - pick either AM or PM - focus on it.   Or brick your workouts a couple of times per week.  Take a day off during the week.  Then save you long stuff and double workouts for the weekends.

Mon.   Swim only (acts as a recovery from hard weekend)

Tues.  Bike/run brick

Wed.  Swim

Thur.  Bike/run brick

Fri.  Off or swim

Sat.  Longer Bike

Sun.  Longer Run

If you want to add once a week speed for Bike and Run.  Make Tues a tempo run and Thurs a Tempo Ride.    On those weeks, I would add a run after you longer Sat bike ride, make sense?

2008-05-14 8:04 PM
in reply to: #1338071

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Elliot - 2008-04-15 5:22 AM Ok, I'll respond to myself: Here is what I'm thinking: 1 sport per day, 6 days per week, so I do each sport 2x per week, alternating endurance and speed/strength. Thoughts?

Geez.  Sorry.  I guess I've been in la la land...

Two things you can do:

1. Hire a coach to work around your schedule.

2. Get up earlier...it sucks but that's what I have to do now.  I have a 30' commute and have to be at work by 7:30 so I just started getting up earlier...one workout before work, one after.  A couple of big ones on the weekend....

2x per week isn't enough to get better...you can barely maintain on that much.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jldicarlo's group -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 6