General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Training Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-13 10:05 AM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Subject: Heart Rate Training Question
Hello peeps,
I have a question about HR training. I have found training using my HR to be frustrating to say the least. I have roughly calculated my HR Zones, but there appears to be no consistency in my HR while I am training. I have always suspected this, but now that I have gotten a fancy shmancy training aid, I have been able to get some solid evidence to support my belief that I can't make sense of my HR.

A recent (yesterday) training ride is case in point.

The ride was a fairly flat out and back, and I did a 10minute warmup before hitting START on the HRM.

I set my HR monitor to lap every 1mile.
For laps 1-8
Ave Speed: 16.0125mph
Ave HR: 160.75

miles 9-16
Ave Speed: 17.585mph
Ave HR: 148.375

Now, the elevation gain was about 100', and I would believe that the ride out may have had different grades than the ride back, but how can I account for a 12bpm drop in AHR coupled with a 1.5 increase in speed?

I have always sensed that my HR drops significantly the further I get into my training sessions. Maybe I am "settling" in to my pace and my workout. During my 10m race a couple of weekends ago, I experienced negative splits every mile for the back half of the race.

My question is this. While doing my trainings sessions and trying to stay in a particular zone, how on EARTH do I accomplish this when my AHR is all over the place? If I am supposed to stay in zone 1-2 for a 1hour training session, and it takes me 30-40 minutes to settle in, how do I benefit from staying in zone1-2?

Thanks.

Edited by D.Z. 2007-12-13 10:09 AM

2007-12-13 10:23 AM
in reply to: #1099691

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Training Question

First, bike speed/HR is pretty useless because there are significant variables to speed (e.g., wind, hills) that have nothing to do with HR.  It's pretty easy to concoct the scenario you outlined.

Second, I would not worry about staying in z1-2 100% of the time.  But if you notice you are drifting too high, and it's not just because you're working up a short hill, then slow down.  It's also generally better to go a bit too easy in the beginning of the workout as you 'settle in' and warm-up.  Save the harder work towards the end and generate those negative splits.

2007-12-13 2:20 PM
in reply to: #1099749

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Training Question
JohnnyKay - 2007-12-13 10:23 AM

First, bike speed/HR is pretty useless because there are significant variables to speed (e.g., wind, hills) that have nothing to do with HR. It's pretty easy to concoct the scenario you outlined.

Second, I would not worry about staying in z1-2 100% of the time. But if you notice you are drifting too high, and it's not just because you're working up a short hill, then slow down. It's also generally better to go a bit too easy in the beginning of the workout as you 'settle in' and warm-up. Save the harder work towards the end and generate those negative splits.

Well, I guess that's my point. I warmed up prior to starting.
The hills did not vary much, and there was no appreciable wind. I don't think I COULD stay in zone 1-2 and continue to move forward. I'm not looking for exact here - but I'm not even CLOSE to anything that makes sense. I could understand to a degree if HR drop a bit while my speed remained the same. But see a 10% decline in HR, and a 10% increase in speed just doesn't make sense.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Training Question Rss Feed