Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-04-05 8:43 PM
in reply to: #1318036

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Waterdog's Group - Closed

jwaymack - 2008-04-05 4:36 PM Hi everyone,I've been gone for awhile gearing up for my half marathon. Finished in 1:43:42, about a minute faster than my best goal and a 12 min PR for me. It felt like such an accomplishment for me since this was the first race I was trying to not just finish but improve and the first time I had dieted and lost weight for. Now it's on to actual tri training and I think I am even more psyched now. I have some friends who are doing a sprint with a pool swim in a couple of weeks I think I am going to sign up for. Just so I can get some experience and get one under my belt before my bigger races. Keep up the hardwork everyone.

Congratulations on a huge PR James.

And welcome back

2008-04-07 9:43 AM
in reply to: #1103805

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Week 14: 2008

So, how is everyone doing?

Spring Tri season has kicked off with a bang and many of us are getting in some great training for our goal races. A few others are base training races later in the season. Please tell us how your training is going.

Do you train alone most of the time or do you usually train with a group. Many of us have families and many other outside commitments and sometimes it can be tough to train on someone else's schedule.

Training alone certainly creates a lot of flexibility in the schedule but training with a group can certainly make it a bit easier to get out there and finish out workouts when others are counting on us.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend

2008-04-08 2:55 AM

Fullerton, CA
It's good to see that people are still posting. I was afraid I would spend the rest of the season alone. I train at Santiago Canyon pretty regularly; whenever I have a fairly long ride I try to get out there. I have a perfect training loop near home, it takes me about 12 minutes to make it up the hill, come down from the top, ride past a nice little park, and start back up the hill. But after about 5 or 6 loops I start getting bored. Today I packed a lunch and drove out to Santiago Canyon. First I ran for an hour and a half, then ate lunch, rested up, and then did a 2 hr bike ride, up Santiago Canyon and back.

I generally train alone, unless I can get my daughter to go with me. I might have to join the OC Tri Club one of these days. But my ability to schedule my workouts is so lousey. I "just do it" whenever I can.

I didn't sign up for the HIM I was thinking about doing, because training for the WildFlower Olympic is taking up so much time. I didn't feel like I could muster the strength to increase my volume.

Linda
2008-04-08 1:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County

My training group meets twice a week for group workouts, and I usually recruit a few girls to come with me on my long bike rides because I really do prefer the company.  Depending on who shows up, I usually get a good workout!  The rest of the week I'm at the mercy of my work schedule, so I can't pre-plan and end up doing what I can, all by myself.  I prefer running in groups, as it makes the time pass longer and I'm not really one for finding that "zen" place, but it's hard to find people who go at the same pace and use the same walk/run interval.  (Longer than 4 miles, I have to use this!)

Anyway, hope everyone sticks around for a while.  Have definitely enjoyed the company over here!

2008-04-11 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Pete
got my first sprint tomorrow. been busy training. i will keep you posted on how i do! man i am worried about getting some sleep tonight. is it 6 AM yet? LOL
2008-04-13 5:16 PM

Sorry I have been out of touch for a while.  I just found out that I am moving to Wisconsin this summer.  Yes, it happened very fast.  It is a great opportunity for my husband, but horrible for my training.  Ironically though, I am signed up for IM Wisconsin, so I would really like to do it, but I am afraid that our move is really going to get in the way of my training.  Does anyone have any advice or encouragement, please?  I am tempted to hold off until next year, but I also know that I will feel much healthier if I keep up my training through all the craziness.  Everyone's thoughts are appreciated!!!   Great job to all of you who are out there working it! 

Tim, congrats at Oceanside.  Great time.  I didn't notice how you placed.  I heard it was pretty windy though. 

Thanks,

Sabrina 

2008-04-13 5:28 PM

Great job at Oceanside, Ryan.  I know that there a few others that are doing sprints today.  Hope all went well, and can't wait to hear the details.   
2008-04-13 8:23 PM
in reply to: #1332329

User image

Veteran
St. Pete

WOOHOO

Finally got my first race under my belt and think I did pretty well! Escape from Ft Desoto Sprint

total time 1:14:34

136 out of 1000 overall

22 out of 104 for age group 35-39

and the best one

1st out of 53 first timers!

hoping to improve my run time for St. Anthony's next week and made a few equipment changes to solve my other problems. I am glad I did the sprint before the olympic

Edited by ksmith4 2008-04-13 8:32 PM
2008-04-14 2:59 PM

Great job, LJ!!  You rock!!  That is fantastic.  I bet you feel great after that.  You are going to have great success at your Olympic race.  Celebrate!
2008-04-14 11:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County

Great job this weekend, LJ.....sounds like you are going to kick some serious booty in the future!

I just posted my race report on Iron Girl.  Interesting race, to say the least!  I'm relieved to have finished and to have that first Olympic under my belt.  Totally a different experience for me than the sprints. I now feel like I have a new challenge to try and conquer. Anyway, thought I'd post in here and let you guys know I survived.

Am in Phoenix right now and was able to watch parts of IM AZ yesterday.  After what I went through Saturday, just seeing everyone out on the bike at 3pm in the heat of the afternoon made me emotional.  They were amazing!

2008-04-15 11:40 AM

User image

New user

WEEK 1#: It's tough starting from scratch again. I've gained some weight however, the damage isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I found a place to swim and run. I also purchased a road bike recently from a great bike shop. They were very helpful in setting me up. I changed to a new plan. I'm now starting with a training plan that will incorporate all three sports. Even though I still suck at running, I know it will benefit me in the long run to start training for the other two legs simultaneously. It's tough starting over. I could hardly breathe when I went swimming. I felt dry heaves and had to slow down. Anyway, I made a promise to myself to finish this regimen that I started and to compete in at least 2 sprint events this year. See you at the finish line!!!

2008-04-15 11:43 AM
in reply to: #1334886

User image

New user

AWESOME JOB LJ!!!! You're a great inspiration for me to follow your footsteps as a fellow newbie to this sport.. ALL THE BEST TO YOU AND YOUR TRIATHLON SUCCESS!!!!

-KEN
2008-04-15 11:44 AM
in reply to: #1338256

User image

Veteran
St. Pete

THANKS everyone! I was pretty stoked when I completed it and found out I was first. I discovered an interesting fact once the race times were published and that was this. The guy who came in 2nd for the novice division had faster times in the run and the bike than me but he was alot slower in the transtions. I made up almost 3 minutes in the transitions over him. I spent a week or so praticing mounting the bike and put on the running shoes and I guess it paid off!

I am a little concerned with the Olympic at St. Anthony's  on 4/27. They published the start waves and my wave goes off 31 out of 32 waves the only wave behind me is the relay teams. I will have all ages groups and the Team In Training "TNT" immediately in front of me. I know that this is only my 2nd race but I was told to be very careful around the TNT people as the "don't have a clue" I ride the bike at an average race speed of 24+ and I got my Zipp wheels for this race (wooohoo!), I should be even faster. In Ft. Desoto race I was in the 2nd wave and passed a 25-30 people on the bike but very little traffic to speak if. Anybody had to deal with a bunch of traffic before? Suggestions?

2008-04-15 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1339146

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
ksmith4 - 2008-04-15 9:44 AM

I am a little concerned with the Olympic at St. Anthony's  on 4/27. They published the start waves and my wave goes off 31 out of 32 waves the only wave behind me is the relay teams. I will have all ages groups and the Team In Training "TNT" immediately in front of me. I know that this is only my 2nd race but I was told to be very careful around the TNT people as the "don't have a clue" I ride the bike at an average race speed of 24+ and I got my Zipp wheels for this race (wooohoo!), I should be even faster. In Ft. Desoto race I was in the 2nd wave and passed a 25-30 people on the bike but very little traffic to speak if. Anybody had to deal with a bunch of traffic before? Suggestions?

Great job out there LJ

You might try contacting the RD (Send an EMail) and ask if you can be moved to a different wave. (Or if your wave can be moved)  Still, don't be suprised if you come out of the water with a lot of folks from the earlier waves well behind you.  You may be contending with a bit of traffic, but it will not necessarily be from the peeps in the next wave up.

With your bike speed, I bet your gonna be passing a lot of folks regardless of what wave you start in

2008-04-15 11:55 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Week 15: 2008

Looks like everyone is gearing up nicely for the Spring/Summer season

For the question of the week: What is your ideal weather for training and separately for racing. Do you like to train cool and hope for cool weather on race day, or do you seek out hot conditions and hope for something reasonable on race day.

Of course; we all saw what hot/dry/windy conditions can do to a race. IMAZ for the second year in a row was brutal and really made everyone suffer to finish.

And of course, how is your training going this week

2008-04-18 1:27 PM
in reply to: #1339180

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Week 15: 2008
How is my training going????? In the toilet!!! Since CA 70.3 i have been to Mexico, CT, and working way too much. So I have ridden probably 20 miles and ran about the same amount. Oh well...excuses, excuses..

I like the weather we had in Ca. 60ish and maybe a little cloud cover. Seems to relieve a lot of the pain. My real problem is too cold. then everything gets too tight. Basically I am a baby and am finding way too many excuses to not train right now.....gotta schedule a race I guess!

2008-04-19 2:20 PM
in reply to: #1347624

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
Subject: RE: Week 15: 2008

Yeah, training this week has been nonexistent.  I was in Phoenix and didn't do too much thanks to my schedule and the woefully inadequate pool & gym at the hotel.  We're starting to get back on a program, though.  I've decided not to go up to HIM this year and to focus on improving my Olympic distance, so next up after Danskin is Pendleton Oly.  I'll probably still go up to Vineman and do the 1/2 Aquabike, though.  I'm set on getting up there!

Gorgeous ride today.....cloud cover wasn't too depressing and the temp was nice and cool. 

2008-04-19 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1339146

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
ksmith4 - 2008-04-15 11:44 AM

Anybody had to deal with a bunch of traffic before? Suggestions?

Yeah, get used to saying "on your left" and practice your bike handling skills!    I'm still young and fortunately get started in early waves, but last year I did the bike in a relay and ended up on course with everyone and their mother.  It wasn't THAT bad....yes, it's annoying to have to pass people, but talk about a confidence boost!

2008-05-01 12:47 AM

Fullerton, CA
Well, if anyone is still out there my race in this weekend....Wildflower Olympic Distance.....Sunday, May 4th. I'm getting more nervous by the day. Feeling rather depressed as well. Probably just the withdrawal from my endogenous opiates brought on by the taper. I'm addicted to training like a maniac. Well, I'll just do my best and concentrate on a safe race. Linda Vician
2008-05-01 10:46 AM
in reply to: #1374176

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

LJVician - 2008-04-30 10:47 PM Well, if anyone is still out there my race in this weekend....Wildflower Olympic Distance.....Sunday, May 4th. I'm getting more nervous by the day. Feeling rather depressed as well. Probably just the withdrawal from my endogenous opiates brought on by the taper. I'm addicted to training like a maniac. Well, I'll just do my best and concentrate on a safe race. Linda Vician

Best of luck to you this weekend Linda

Looks like the weather this year is going to be much better than the last year.

2008-05-01 2:07 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Waterdog's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14