General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I remove rust on bolts from my bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-17 12:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Luray, Virginia
Subject: Should I remove rust on bolts from my bike?
I have some rust on my crank arm bolts, where you would insert a bike wrench. Should I bother removing this, and if so, should I grease it afterwards?

2007-12-17 12:48 AM
in reply to: #1105598

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Should I remove rust on bolts from my bike?
ragingferret - 2007-12-16 11:05 PM

I have some rust on my crank arm bolts, where you would insert a bike wrench. Should I bother removing this, and if so, should I grease it afterwards?

The rust on the outside won't hurt anything, but it could make it difficult to service if the rust is on teh bolt threads.

I would be tempted to loosen it up, apply a very thin layer of mechanics grease to the threads & retighten.

To prevent rust from forming, I always rinse my bike off after a dirty/muddly/salty ride as long as the hose isn't frozen, bring it inside, usually I'll let it air dry, and apply chain lube to be ready for the next ride.

If I know that my bike was assembled with application of grease on all the bolts I don't worry about rust on the outside of the bike part (even though it doesn't look good), just on the drivetrain.
2007-12-17 5:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Arnhem
Almost all the bolts on my bike are rusted after not even 2 years. The salty air and hot humid conditions here are really tough on the equipment. The bike shop here uses some special anti-grip pasta on all bolts when assembling, so even if the outside is rusting the inner parts are well protected. The outer side should be kept clean. Be careful with greasing the outter side at this will act as a magnet for dirt.
If you are in doubt as to how the bolt's condition is I would take it out to have a look.
2007-12-17 7:30 AM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
I used to work at a car wash and rust on fasteners was a problem. Constantly. Don't mess with it. If you are seeing some rust, replace the fastener with stainless steel asap. The threads inside might be fine, but at some point, you may need to remove the fastener. If it is rusty on the outside, it is weakened, and you may find it easier to strip it. Then, you've got a whole set of problems.

Don't wait when fasteners rust.

Are you sure it's rusting and not simply discoloring? Even stainless will take on a rusty appearance but still remain in good condition. Is it flaking, beginning to flake or neither?
2007-12-17 7:30 AM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Keeping bolts clean is easily done when cleaning. I try and usy a Q tip to apply a light coating of any kind of oil (wd40, chain lube etc) after it is thoroughly dried. Generally the moisture doesn't get into the threads but it is a good idea to lightly coat the threads to prevent corrosion that can easily screw up the delicate materials used on our bikes. Thinks like Crank bolts really shouldn't be lubed otherwise they might back out. I have found that the weakest formula of thread lock also works well to seal out contaminates. It wont hold on too tight to be a problem.
The other option is to buy stainless steel hardware which is always the best and looks nice forever!
2007-12-17 10:12 PM
in reply to: #1105734

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
sgillen - 2007-12-17 7:30 AM

I try and usy a Q tip to apply a light coating of any kind of oil (wd40, chain lube etc) after it is thoroughly dried.

Wow.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I remove rust on bolts from my bike? Rss Feed