General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Umstead Park Story Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-17 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Subject: Umstead Park Story

Just in case anyone wants to chime in at: http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2180700/

Gary is a really nice guy and I hate to see so many negative comments directed his way.

The basics of the story are that parking is no longer allowed on Graylyn Drive, Gary was interviewed and explained that its disappointing. Now a bunch of people are calling him a whiner and picking on runners. Of course there is the usual jerk saying he might "accidentally" run over a jogger.

2007-12-17 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1105931

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Umstead Park Story
DMarkSwan - 2007-12-17 11:00 AM

Just in case anyone wants to chime in at: http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2180700/

Gary is a really nice guy and I hate to see so many negative comments directed his way.

The basics of the story are that parking is no longer allowed on Graylyn Drive, Gary was interviewed and explained that its disappointing. Now a bunch of people are calling him a whiner and picking on runners. Of course there is the usual jerk saying he might "accidentally" run over a jogger.

Yes, I was afraid of the backlash that article would get.  Of course, this "news" story is not new news.  WRAL is as-usual late to the dance, as N&O and other outlets have been reporting this issue for months if not a year already.  I do hate that Gary is getting bashed about that.  I might suggest to WRAL that they cut the article off for comment, as it tends to incite a riot mentality.  Just imagine if Gary mentioned that he was a cyclist too...we'd have G105 encouraging drivers to hit cyclists again (remember that?)!!

I have only been running in Umstead for a couple of weeks, after having lived here in the Raleigh area for 2/3 of my life.  It is a wonderful resource, and I wish it was more accessible.  Going in on the 70 side is just plain ridiculous.  For the few runs I've done out there (10 mile, 10 mile, 14 mile, 16 mile), I've parked right off Old Reedy Creek, where the Greenway exits Lake Crabtree.  That is a popular spot, that, I'm sure, will face the same fate that Graylyn Drive has met soon.  I just hope it's after my marathon training is over...

Edited by fgump 2007-12-17 10:41 AM
2007-12-17 12:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
I live just a couple of miles from the Graylyn entrance and run in Umstead several times a week. If you go in the main entrance off from 70, go down the little trail to the lake then get on the gravel road, up a hill, turn right and you are at the water fountain. The problem with this is that just about the same time they closed off Graylyn, they also did something to this gravel rode that destroyed the surface. It used to be a decent surface to run on, in fact I would do hill repeats there. Now it is so bad that you definately risk twisting an ankle running up it. The condition of this road almost makes it impossible to enter from that location and get to the riding trails.

I've been meaning to send an email to the park service to find out what the intention is for that road but haven't done so.
2007-12-17 12:47 PM
in reply to: #1106210

User image

Expert
Apex, NC

jkholden - 2007-12-17 1:35 PM I live just a couple of miles from the Graylyn entrance and run in Umstead several times a week. If you go in the main entrance off from 70, go down the little trail to the lake then get on the gravel road, up a hill, turn right and you are at the water fountain. The problem with this is that just about the same time they closed off Graylyn, they also did something to this gravel rode that destroyed the surface. It used to be a decent surface to run on, in fact I would do hill repeats there. Now it is so bad that you definately risk twisting an ankle running up it. The condition of this road almost makes it impossible to enter from that location and get to the riding trails. I've been meaning to send an email to the park service to find out what the intention is for that road but haven't done so.

Judy-

I think we've met.  Your avatar photo looks familiar.  I think it was at Azalea this year, we were racked close to each other, and I gave you a big sweaty hug at the end of the race, for spurring me on through a bad run!  We played cat and mouse on the bike, and you smoked the run, if I recall. 

2007-12-17 5:20 PM
in reply to: #1106229

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
fgump - 2007-12-17 1:47 PM

Judy-

I think we've met.  Your avatar photo looks familiar.  I think it was at Azalea this year, we were racked close to each other, and I gave you a big sweaty hug at the end of the race, for spurring me on through a bad run!  We played cat and mouse on the bike, and you smoked the run, if I recall. 

You are right. I hadn't realized that. You were number 535 at Azalea and I was 531. By looking at your logs I wouldn't beat you on a run anymore. You have beed doing great. I've been spending so darn much time in the water that I'm having some serious run withdrawals. The frustrating part is that I still can't swim worth a darn.

I was surprised to read your post that you've lived here 2/3 of your life and just started running in Umstead. I've only been here 4 years and absolutely love the park.
2007-12-18 9:42 AM
in reply to: #1106703

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
jkholden - 2007-12-17 6:20 PM
fgump - 2007-12-17 1:47 PM

Judy-

You are right. I hadn't realized that. You were number 535 at Azalea and I was 531. By looking at your logs I wouldn't beat you on a run anymore. You have beed doing great. I've been spending so darn much time in the water that I'm having some serious run withdrawals. The frustrating part is that I still can't swim worth a darn. I was surprised to read your post that you've lived here 2/3 of your life and just started running in Umstead. I've only been here 4 years and absolutely love the park.

I haven't done a tri since Over the Mountain, after which I began working on my run.  We'll see how my run is off the bike in May (hopefully) at WLH.  I have unfortunately not been spending enough time in the water (that's an early season focus).  I regret never using Umstead until this year, but until these past 6 months, I never considered myself a "runner".  Now, I think I am.  I live so close to the American Tobacco Trail that it's felt silly to go elsewhere, but, heck, if I'm doing the Umstead Marathon, I better train there, right?

See you at the races or on the trails.

Bill

2007-12-30 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
I'm torn about that. I am the type of person that would always park in a parking lot and not on the side of a road, so the rule doesn't bother me at all, and I don't understand why it does bother some people so bad, but it is unfortunate that this one guy was singled out for such criticism.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Umstead Park Story Rss Feed