Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Please help me with my resume Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-20 11:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
Subject: Please help me with my resume
Educators, HR folks, and recruiters....and all other COJ folks. I am going to launch a serious job hunt after the break and would like to hear some feedback on my resume.

I am a high school social studies teacher.

edited to add-----.. I just posted this and the formatting is all kinds of messed up. If you have the patience, please just focus on the text and not the format... I have a real version that looks much better

Please ignore the fortmatting.... I just cut and pasted and kind of modified the format.

Would you call me or toss me in the trash? What would you leave out? What would you want to know?

If you really would like to help, I can email you the cover letter I am working on as well. As many eyes as possible would be really helpful.

Especially ignore the name and address part ... the cut & paste just kind of smooshed them all together.
_____________________________________________________________________-

David W. Traxxxxx 90xx XXXXXXXXXXXX
Secondary Social Studies Cincinnati, OH 452xx
(513) 52X-XXXX
[email protected]

Teaching Experience

WXXXX WXXXXXHigh School, Cincinnati, Ohio (August, 2000 – present)
Courses Taught:
United States History and Honors United States History (11th grade), 2000 – 2005
Law and the American Citizen (10th and 11th grade), 2002 – 2007
World Affairs (12th grade), 2004 – 2006
History and Film (11th and 12th grade), 2006 - 2007
World History (9th and 10th grade), 2000 – 2002

Leadership positions:
• Social Studies Department Facilitator (2006 – present)
? Serve as liaison between department members and administrators at the high school and middle school levels
? Assist in the coordination of state testing, including benchmark testing, for social studies department
? Utilize disaggregated data from the Ohio Department of Education to analyze OGT results for specific students and subgroups of the student population
? Attended Ohio Association of Secondary School Administrators conference “OGT: Data Analysis and Best Pedagogical Practices” (2006)
? Participated in the evaluation, review, and rewriting of school and district curriculum in alignment with new Ohio state standards (2003 – 2004)
? Attended Ohio Council for Social Studies seminar on aligning curriculum with state standards and the Ohio Graduation Test (2004)

• Building Advisory Committee (2003 – 2007)
? Elected by faculty to four-member committee designed to address faculty concerns and meet regularly with administrators to resolve issues at the building level

Committee, curricular, and extra curricular involvement:
• Researched, designed, developed and implemented a new course, “History and Film,” added to the High School curriculum (2006)
• High Schools That Work Blueprint Team (2002 – 2003) – served on committee to research, develop, present and implement 5-year plan for WWHS in alignment with High Schools That Work guidelines, Ohio state standards, and district goals
• Building Climate Team (2005 – 2006) – planned, coordinated, and facilitated events and programs designed to enhance faculty and staff cooperation, morale, and teamwork
• Curriculum Team (2000 – 2005) – facilitated the planning and execution of at least two school-wide, cross-curricular programs per year

• After-School Detention (2002 – 2007)
? Supervise and maintain all records for daily after-school detention

• Sophomore Class Advisor (2002 – 2004)

LaXXXXXXX High School, Cincinnati, Ohio (Spring, 2000)
Student Teacher, World History (10th grade)

Other Professional Experience

Camp Tygart (Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston), Huttonsville, WV (1996 – 2001)
Co-Director (2000 – 2001)
Backpacking Coordinator (1996 – 1999)
• Administration and operation of comprehensive, residential summer camp
• Coordinated staffing, training, and professional development of over 25 staff members
• Co-authored Camp Handbook and Operations Guide
• Supervised registration and all camp activities for more than 400 children ages 7 – 16
• Secured and allocated equipment, resources, and supplies to 8 camp program areas
• Led groups of 10-15 teenagers on two- and three-day backcountry backpacking trips
• Trained counselors in goals, skills, and expectations of the backpacking program
• Taught activity lessons including horseback riding, canoeing, swimming, and archery
• Instructed campers in areas of wilderness preparedness, camping skills, environmental awareness, local history and folklore

Xavier University, Cincinnati, OH (1998 – 2000)
Coordinator of Commuter Services – Graduate Assistantship

Episcopal Retirement Homes, Cincinnati, OH (1997 – 1998)
Marketing and Public Relations Associate

Bank of America Illinois, Chicago, IL (1992 – 1996)
Associate Account Administrator

Certification and Education

State of Ohio Five-Year License – valid through June, 2009
Comprehensive High School All Areas of Social Studies (7-8)
History (9-12)
Political Science (9-12)
High School History (7-12)

Xavier University, Cincinnati, OH
M.Ed. – Secondary Education, May, 2000

Miami University, Oxford, OH
B.S. – Marketing, May, 1992

Edited by DTraub 2007-12-20 11:35 PM

2007-12-20 11:37 PM
in reply to: #1112976

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-12-20 11:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
Subject: RE: Please help me with my resume
High school social studies
2007-12-21 5:26 AM

Champion
Urbandale, IA
DTraub - 2007-12-20 11:29 PM

? Elected by faculty to four-member committee designed to address faculty concerns and meet regularly with administrators to resolve issues at the building level

Committee, curricular, and extra curricular involvement:
• Researched, designed, developed and implemented a new course, “History and Film,” added to the High School curriculum (2006)

These are the two strongest statements in this resume. They may not seem like the most important things you did or the toughest challenges you had (or maybe they were) but they come off the strongest simply because of the wording. "Elected" and "Researched, designed, developed and implemented" show success at a task and follow through on that task. Most of your other highlights include words like "served" or "attended". Don't get me wrong, these might be valuable and very worthwhile tasks - but they don't catch the eye in a resume.
If you were applying for a job in the business world, I would look at the resume and think, what has this person done in the past that will help me to make money for my department. In the world of High School eduction, I would hope that I am not thinking that as an administrator, instead I am thinking, what has this person accomplished that will make him/her a more valuable asset to our faculty than all of the other applicant's I have seen. Beef those statements up so that they look aggressively accomplished, without making them untrue.
This is a resume and the point is not to get the job from the sheet of paper. People try to do that and it tends to look jumbled and messy and look like you are trying to convince someone. All the resume has to do is make me want to call you and talk to you about what is on it, then it is your job to sell yourself with your personality and impressive people skills.

I'll give you an example - "Social Studies Department Facilitator - As liason between the departmental staff and aministrators, implemented a system that ........" and give me something concrete that I can put an intrinsic value on, that I want at my school. If you can't do this for an entry - then it shouldn't be on there, it is just filler and looks like filler.
As
2007-12-21 7:59 AM

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
I can't believe I'm helping a Red Hawk being a Bobcat but we will put that asside for now.

Your chronological order regarding your teaching experience and some of the other sections are all over the board and only a few have notation of what you are doing presently.

Courses:
What You're teaching now (XXth grade), 2006-present
Law and the American Citizen (10th and 11th grade), 2002 – 2007
History and Film (11th and 12th grade), 2006 - 2007
World Affairs (12th grade), 2004 – 2006
United States History and Honors United States History (11th grade), 2000 – 2005
World History (9th and 10th grade), 2000 – 2002

You have a lot of great experience and if you put things in order you can show job growth and career progression.

ETA:

LaXXXXXXX High School, Cincinnati, Ohio (Spring, 2000)
Student Teacher, World History (10th grade)

Move it to Teaching Experience.

Edited by JChristoff 2007-12-21 8:08 AM
2018-10-21 6:05 AM
in reply to: jdwright56

The principle of building a resume is very important. This scheme is chosen relative to the desired job. If you are an engineer, then the resume should be based on actual actions and skills. I work as a copywriter on the site https://craftresumes.com/write-my-resume/and I know exactly what should be in your resume. You have to write everything honestly and chronologically without hops.

2018-10-21 10:40 AM
in reply to: VelmaJDennis

Pro

Good advice....but that guy might be retired by now.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Please help me with my resume Rss Feed