General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good tips for an inexperienced cook? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-23 11:21 PM

New user

Subject: Good tips for an inexperienced cook?
You can cook without using a microwave?

I'm just beginning to learn the art of cooking, and I had gained weight in the past year because I had eaten out a lot, and not watched my diet.

Anyone have any tips of a good diet to follow or sites or books to buy?

Thanks,
James

2007-12-24 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1115332

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Subject: RE: Good tips for an inexperienced cook?
Don't follow diets. Eat more whole foods including fruits and veggies. Watch out for processed and fried foods. And wactch when you eat. More small meals is better than a few large. Drink a large glass of water before meal time and you'll be full faster and not eat as much.
Most of all exercise. Find your correct HR's and work in your aerobic zone and you'll lose weight.
No hocus pocus!
Best of luck and Merry Christmas!
Steve
2007-12-25 7:07 AM

Master
STL

when something calls for oil (like in a pan) you can ususally use half the amount or use spray.

when stir frying...use broths in stead of oil

look into substitues...things like cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese, pineapple instead of butter in stuffing mix, turkey instead of hamburger, lean hamburger instead of regular hamburger, applesauce instead of eggs in baked good, egg whites instead of whole eggs, whole grains instead of white grains...well, you get the point!

i also add more veggies than recipies usually call for.

2007-12-26 9:13 PM
in reply to: #1116233

New user

Thanks for the tips.

I'll be asking more questions as I try more things.
2007-12-27 9:14 AM

Don't get frustrated with it.  Cooking is not so bad once you get the hang of it... and chopping up a million vegetables gets easier the more you do it.  Just like running

If you are looking for some recipes to try, check out allrecipes.com.  This site has everything ranging from the very easy to the very complicated.  Try the '30-minute meals' and the 'healthy living' sections.  There are nutritional details outlined for every recipe as well, and be sure to pay attention because some of the recipes on here can be quite bad for you. 

For cookbooks, there are some great books out there for the beginner.  I started with a trusty Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, and I still use this often to get info on the best way to cook certain meats and veggies.  This is the traditional red and white checkered book that you can probably pick up at the grocery store.

Edited by DMW 2007-12-27 9:15 AM
2007-12-27 9:20 AM
in reply to: #1117824

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

More of a shopping tip than a cooking tip ( rule of thumb)... when you are in the grocery store, stick to the outer isles.. I know MOST, grocery stores are set up nearly the same. fresh veggies, dairy, eggs, meats, ect are on the outer perimeter of the store. Most of the prefab stuff is straight down the middle. Some exceptions are, cereals, bottleded water and canned veggies are on inner isles.

As I said, this is just a rule of thumb.

2007-12-27 9:32 AM

User image

Veteran

These tips have been helpful to me as well...does anyone have any suggestions on how to increase salad/veggies into my diet? 

I want to lose more weight and suspect that if I subsitute some high calorie choices for lower calorie vegetables I'll see more benefit.  I like vegetables but can't seem to incorporate leafy greens and salads into everyday eating...any advice is appreciated......Thanks.

2007-12-27 10:44 AM
in reply to: #1118298

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Just buy them, find a few you like and add them into almost any recipe.
Food processors with their multiple cutting blades make short work of things like home made salsa and grilled or baked veggies.
Typically in my house I'll cook several days worth of veggies at one time then eat them over the next few days. Un cooked veggies are also a great guiltless snack.
2007-12-27 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
noony - 2007-12-27 9:32 AM

These tips have been helpful to me as well...does anyone have any suggestions on how to increase salad/veggies into my diet? 

I want to lose more weight and suspect that if I subsitute some high calorie choices for lower calorie vegetables I'll see more benefit.  I like vegetables but can't seem to incorporate leafy greens and salads into everyday eating...any advice is appreciated......Thanks.

Meal Plans.

2007-12-27 10:07 PM

Spaghetti and meat sauce, except with whole grain spaghetti and ground turkey. Melts, like turkey or tuna melts. They're just jazzy sandwhiches but give you a bit more taste- use some pam in the pan instead of butter or oil.

My absolute favorite- Jambalaya
2 turkey sausages
2 bell peppers
4 tomatoes
1 onion
1 bunch of green onions
8 servings of rice
1/3 cup of worschestire(spelling) sauce
Emeril's Bayou Blend or Tony Satcher's creole seasoning to taste
Cook the rice half way. Chop everything else up, then dump it all in the pot. Let it simmer an hour or so. No cooking trickery, just chopping and turning knobs. I always make a bunch and eat it for the next 2 or 3 days. If I'm the fat kid in Willy Wonka, then jambalaya is my chocolate river.
2007-12-28 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1119686

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

KSC - 2007-12-27 10:07 PM Spaghetti and meat sauce, except with whole grain spaghetti and ground turkey. Melts, like turkey or tuna melts. They're just jazzy sandwhiches but give you a bit more taste- use some pam in the pan instead of butter or oil. My absolute favorite- Jambalaya 2 turkey sausages 2 bell peppers 4 tomatoes 1 onion 1 bunch of green onions 8 servings of rice 1/3 cup of worschestire(spelling) sauce Emeril's Bayou Blend or Tony Satcher's creole seasoning to taste Cook the rice half way. Chop everything else up, then dump it all in the pot. Let it simmer an hour or so. No cooking trickery, just chopping and turning knobs. I always make a bunch and eat it for the next 2 or 3 days. If I'm the fat kid in Willy Wonka, then jambalaya is my chocolate river.

Oooh, that sounds like the goot! Thanx!!!

2007-12-30 3:22 PM

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
A good trick is to sit down with paper and pen before heading out to the grocery store... make a basic meal plan, what you'll need for what days/meals, and stick to the list. Don't buy any extra. Then when you're hungry or it's time to eat, you'll only have the planned options in the house.
And if it doesn't come from the ground - don't eat it. ;-)
2007-12-31 3:58 PM

User image

Expert
New York
Also, for beginner cooks, (and heck, even experienced ones) I recommend "How To Cook Everything"...it tells you literally **everything** you need to know about cooking...how to chop veggies, how to tell when something is ripe, etc. And it offers a gazillion ways to prepare everything. I'm an avid cook, and I still peek inside this book every once in a while.

As for staying healthy, I think what's so great about cooking your own meals is you KNOW what went into each meal. You can control salt and fat and sugar and everything in between. You will naturally find yourself eating healthier because you're making your own stuff! Good luck!
2008-01-02 10:40 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

If you tend to be a bit lazy (my area of expertise) there are heaps of ways to make it easy:

Smoothies: Some Fruit/berries, milk, yoghurt maybe some honey in a blender and you have a meal

Vegies: Steam fresh or frozen in the microwave, for fresh just put a bit of water in the bottom of the container before zapping and you are good to go

Salads: Chop vegetables and add either a small portion of cheese, 1-2 hard boiled eggs or a grilled chicken breast/steak/pork (or any comination of the toppings) Im not a dressing fan but on easy thing is lemon juice or balsamic vinegar for a dressing

Baked Potato: Top with Ham and pineapple or baked beans

Steak: buy gfood quality meat and cook in a pan with a very light spray of oil (all my meat is cooked with a very light spray of oil in the pan, no extra fat)

Pork: Same as above, add apple sauce when finished

Pasta: Boil the PAsta, seperately heat a tin of tomatoes with vegetables and toss through pasta - if you want to add meat to that cook that seperatley and add as well

Fish: coast with a mixture of lemon juice, rind and olive oil, wrap in tin foil and bake in the oven for approx 10 minutes for a light white fish

And dont underestimate how easy it is to cook a roast!

Basically workout what you like to eat first... then you can figure out how to make a simple fuss free version

Edited by kaqphin 2008-01-02 10:41 PM
2008-01-03 12:28 PM

User image

Omaha, NE
Don't forget fruit can be good in savory dishes too. Add some grapes or Craisins to a salad, or make up a fresh fruit salsa with citrus/peaches/mango, red onion, jalapeno and use it to top grilled chicken or fish or roast pork. One of my very favorite things is baked sweet potatoes. Just as easy as baked potatoes, with beta carotene and more potassium than a banana!
2008-01-03 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
As a firefighter trying to stay in shape, I like this website:

http://www.foodfit.com/iaff/menu_planner/default.asp

It it always prepared a month in advance so you can look at a 3 meal per day food setup every day of the month. Plus, it's limited the calories to apx 2000 per day. All of the recipes are listed along with all of the nutritional information.

2008-01-03 2:38 PM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
A really sharp knife... The first step that my Grandma and my Dad taught me is having a sharp knife (1 small paring, 1 large paring, a chef and a boning knife). It is one of the things that sometimes scares people but it is crucial.

It makes your prep work faster and safer. You are less likely to cut yourself with a sharp knife then a dull one.

I really like the Better Homes Cookbook... Alton Brown has a couple good resources too and get into the science of cooking too which is neat.
2008-01-03 3:28 PM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
noony - 2007-12-27 9:32 AM

If you like spinach, it goes good into stir fry dishes. Buy leaf spinach fresh and then tear it into pieces. Put it in as one of the last portions into a stir fry with other vegetables and it is really good. I will put this on some angel hair pasta without any sauce and some lemon juice.
Like was said before - no need to use oil - use some broth and let that be the liquid in your stir fry. Try lot's of different seasoning to see what you like best (keep your hands off of the big salt shaker!!!)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Good tips for an inexperienced cook? Rss Feed