General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The gyms and pools are going to be crowded!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-12-29 12:50 AM
in reply to: #1121191

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: The gyms and pools are going to be crowded!!
max - 2007-12-28 5:52 PM

Super T - 2007-12-28 4:34 PM And by beautiful people I mean the scantily dressed women with fake boobs and the guys with the spiked up hair/flat-bill kicked sideways baseball hat and wife-beaters on.

So you're saying that only women with real boobs can join a gym, and every guy with a baseball hat on sideways shouldn't be taken seriously? Last time I checked, this was a free country, protected by the constitution. Those are some pretty broad generalizations.

Maybe you should also add gays and lesbians and people of foreign descent and single parents and those who are handicapped...

Maybe the gym should just be for you...that would solve things, eh?

I don't know about everyone else...but I thought this was a classic response! If you don't know the kinds of guys I'm talking about, check out "My New Haircut" on youtube. I'm talking about those guys. Also, I'm all for women getting a breast augmentation to make themselves feel better. A trainer at my gym has fake boobs and she's awesome because she dresses, let's say leaves something to the imagination. Plus, my comments were in jest.

2007-12-29 1:23 AM
in reply to: #1120846

New user

Lets just say that this is my first season of revolutionists. Remember, though, that just as the pros get paid from endorements and entry fees from psychos like me, our sport grows from everyone we can convince to stick around! Cardio is easy, but lets teach people how to use those weights, and to be comfortable in the presence of all you hard-bodied triathletes!
2007-12-29 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Your post is a good one. I understand and appreciate that we were all beginners once. But still, the “January people” make everything a hassle.

I'm a member of the ProClub which is one of the healthclubs that Microsoft employees can choose as one of their benefits (MSFT pays the membership, you pay the taxes on the dollar value of the membership, it's $10 a month or so). Every December is 'open enrollment' and people pick their benefit options for the next year or just let them rollover.

Anyway, what this means is that the Redmond ProClub claims to be have the largest facility of any healthclub in the world as well as the largest membership. I imagine it probably is - lap pool, multipurpose pool, recreational pool, training pool. Multiple levels of locker rooms. The basketball court floor is from the old Kingdome when they hosted the the Final Four a while back. Six indoor tennis courts, two restaurants, childcare facilities, multiple rooms with dozens of treadmills, ellipticals, weight machines, etc, including "Women's Fitness" rooms for women to exercise without being ogled by us men, a dozen or so squash courts in two areas, and many weight rooms. It’s been enlarged several times and is a rabbit warren of rooms. There is also a day spa and health care available on site. Parking is in a garage with one above ground and 3 underground levels. Or you can take the shuttle vans that circulate among Microsoft buildings during the week from like 8am to 7pm.

All in all it's a pretty nice place to workout and a lot of people use their memberships. Normally the rush is evenings from 5:30 to 7pm, where the garage fills to the bottom level. Inside the lap pool gets 2-3 people per lane and they set up "slow, medium, fast" signs to make it a bit easier. The weight equipment gets crowded, the stretching area gets crowded, and sometimes the main fitness room runs out of treadmills, ellipticals, etc and I have to hike to one of the other fitness rooms. And BTW, this is not a place of buff men and women –this is the healthclub of 5,000 Microsoft computer people. Some of us are fitness people, but a lot of us are the stereotypical dorky / geeky anti-jocks. So you can imagine.

Every January the place goes absolutely nutty with people who checked the box in December, and people vowing to actually use the membership they've been paying for and not using.

What's nutty? Mostly parking. The ProClub rents evening parking from office buildings a couple blocks away and gives you $3 if you park there. The run the shuttles later so less people will drive over. Long lines block the street getting into the parking garage, and they hire flaggers to direct people in/out of the garage. Even so, it’s like trying to park 10 minutes before the game at Safeco.

The lap pool gets impossible with every lane with 4 people, and a dozen more people standing on the deck waiting for someone to leave. I’ve waited half an hour to get into that pool when the multipurpose pool is being used by the swim team. The cardio rooms all fill up, including the far away / hard to find Cardio Theater where the music is louder and the light much dimmer. The weight machines all develop a line. A normal workout now doubles in length because of the waiting.

The survival strategy is simple: avoidance. Come after 8pm and things are only as crowded as the usual 6pm. And by the end of January, things are pretty much back to normal.

But If I am crazy enough to show up in the mornings or early evenings, I’ll keep this post in mind as I spend 20 minutes parking, wander around the locker rooms trying a dozen or two lockers to find an available one, when I’m standing on the pool deck waiting for a lane, and standing in line for the showers. It won’t be easy.

2007-12-29 1:41 PM

User image

Expert
New York
Great post, thanks for the reminder to be more kind hearted to those who are starting out. I'm definitely going to make an effort this year to make them feel more welcome.

On the other hand, I do think you can tell the resolutionists from the newbies. The resolutionists are the skinny gals in heavy makeup who walk (yes, WALK) on the treadmill and chat on their cellphones. They don't sweat, they don't try (and from the looks of their tiny butts, they don't have to). They just take up time on the only working treadmill. I find it difficult to be patient with them. Does that make me a bad person?

Also, I remember last year I was doing my leg presses and one of those new girls walked up to me and began "correcting" my form. Incorrectly. She wasn't there two weeks later.

2007-12-29 2:25 PM
in reply to: #1121848

User image

Champion
New York, NY
why not join the swim team
2007-12-29 2:31 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-12-29 2:47 PM
in reply to: #1122008

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

swishyskirt - 2007-12-29 The resolutionists are the skinny gals in heavy makeup who walk (yes, WALK) on the treadmill and chat on their cellphones. They don't sweat, they don't try (and from the looks of their tiny butts, they don't have to). They just take up time on the only working treadmill. I find it difficult to be patient with them. Does that make me a bad person? 

Maybe they are doing their Zone 2 training and going with the RPE cue of "can comfortably hold a conversation"??? 

Seriously, sometimes ya gotta walk a mile before you can run one and not everyone wants to or can run.  Last I checked there is no minimum speed required on a treadmill.  Try to be patient with us slow folks...

2007-12-29 3:10 PM

Elite
Often gyms are open because of these people, they pay, dont show up after a month and keep paying allowing you to keep going.
2007-12-29 3:32 PM

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

I don't really mind the newbies because they are at least trying and I do offer the friendly smile and answer any questions if they ask.  I do remember being that person not too long ago and having others being nice to me and helping me out.

What bothers me more than these social people or the newbies are the ones who insist on staying on the treadmill for almost 2 hours even when there is a wait and the posted signs say max of 60 minutes.   What also bothers me are the people who stroll and chat while supposedly swimming in the fast lane.  The Y puts up markers for leisure/walking, medium speed and fast speed lanes.

There are always these people there.  It just seems there are more of these people at this time of year and many of them will be gone within a month or so.  I am just glad that my schedule is flexible enough that I can play with my times to try to avoid the mad rush and hit the gym at off times throughout the day. If you want to stroll and chat,  then stay in that lane. 

Randi

2007-12-29 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1122085

Expert
Atlanta, GA

Can you imagine what the gym would be like if everyone who paid always showed up? Man, that would stink. 

I'm going to try and spend more of January outside on my bike and running. Maybe that will keep my frustration to a minimum.  And I totally get inspired by newbies in my spin class - I love seeing people realize that it's something completely within their grasp.   

2007-12-29 4:09 PM

Master
Connecticut

That was beautiful, Marmadaddy.

2007-12-29 7:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
marmadaddy - 2007-12-28 3:57 PM
You can't get in the pool because it's jammed with people using pull buoys on their arms...

You mean that's not what they are for?

Great thread - 14 months ago @ 50 I was one of "those people" when I decided to honor the good genes my father passed on to me.  And am thankful a lot of "seasoned" vets have taken me under their wings to help this old grand-paw realize good health and a whole new world of multi-sport living in the process...

Edited by Pop 2007-12-29 7:40 PM
2007-12-29 7:45 PM
in reply to: #1120886

Veteran
Toronto
ditchdoc - 2007-12-28 4:22 PM

I am not a resolutionist, however I am a beginner. I have gone to other Tri websites, but I feel more comfortable and more welcome here. I still have a large gut, and still wear semi baggy swim suits. I still don't feel that I should wear anything stretchy in public. I am slow when I swim. I am a former Coast Guard rescue Swimmer, so I am a strong swimmer, just slow. You see, after you do something for a living for a while, well you just don't go out and d it for fun. So, it's been a few years since I have swam ( Swum? Swom?).  my point is, I am out there to train, and at least in my mind, I am just as dedicated to it as you. when the crowd dies away, I will still be there, I probably was not the person you picked to stay, but I did. When I am tying up YOUR Lat machine in the gym, I am working my butt off so I can acomplish that one pull up, again.  And remeber this, I am dealing with the same crowd, the same amount of people in the gym as you are, and I, just like you, will be glad when Feb rolls around, I hope you can deal with one more person in your gym, and in your pool.

Have a great 2008.

Rueben

Welcome Rueben
2008-01-24 9:07 AM

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
2008-01-24 9:09 AM

Champion
Fairport, NY

Bump in response to another currently active thread.

2008-01-24 9:10 AM
in reply to: #1173686

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
heh.  Great minds....   

2008-01-24 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1121245

Force - 2007-12-28 7:52 PM

By "bubbler" do you mean "water/drinking fountain"? If so, your current location misleads...to my knowledge, the term "bubbler" is strictly a 'Mawaukee' thing....perhaps you lived in these parts at some point?

It's also a Massachusetts thing...

2008-01-24 12:12 PM
in reply to: #1122070

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The gyms and pools are going to be crowded!! Rss Feed  

of 2