BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BIG SEXY's group---FULL of sexiness. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2008-02-03 3:46 PM
in reply to: #1121744

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: BIG SEXY's group---FULL of sexiness.
My February Goal is to survive this silly 52 km race. Also, get more comfortable in the aero position.

2008-02-04 10:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma

Hey gang, sorry I have not been around. Life got crazy and then I was dealing with cooties... January was a rough month. I am starting to feel better, and am ready to get back to it!

2008-02-05 7:31 AM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis

My goal, other than consistent sexiness, is to WIN the season opener on Feb. 10th!

2008-02-05 7:32 AM
in reply to: #1194551

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Kazho - 2008-02-04 11:29 PM

Hey gang, sorry I have not been around. Life got crazy and then I was dealing with cooties... January was a rough month. I am starting to feel better, and am ready to get back to it!

Glad you're back!

2008-02-06 1:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Ok, folks good news bad news time:

Good news: Since the end of November, I've dropped my total cholesterol 30 pts just with diet and exercise. It wasn't super high before, but over 200. Amazing what a few weeks can do. Also, some of my other lab work that had been off because I had been a lazy butt is looking better now than it ever has.
Also, I got an unsolicited "Are you losing weight?" at work today, which is way cool b/c no matter how many curves a girl has got going on, scrubs just don't do them justice.

Bad news: I came home from a great workout tonight, and my puppy had SHREDDED one of my Red Sox flip flops. Seeing how there's no Bob's stores in the greater Sacramento area, I have to beg my inlaws to pick me up a pair and ship them out to me in time for spring training.

2008-02-06 7:11 AM
in reply to: #1196472

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma

sparky - 2008-02-06 1:42 AM Ok, folks good news bad news time: Good news: Since the end of November, I've dropped my total cholesterol 30 pts just with diet and exercise. It wasn't super high before, but over 200. Amazing what a few weeks can do. Also, some of my other lab work that had been off because I had been a lazy butt is looking better now than it ever has. Also, I got an unsolicited "Are you losing weight?" at work today, which is way cool b/c no matter how many curves a girl has got going on, scrubs just don't do them justice. Bad news: I came home from a great workout tonight, and my puppy had SHREDDED one of my Red Sox flip flops. Seeing how there's no Bob's stores in the greater Sacramento area, I have to beg my inlaws to pick me up a pair and ship them out to me in time for spring training.

That is awesome! Well, except the part about the shredded flip-flops. Tongue out I can sympathize with the scrubs thing, but on the bright side, who needs casual day when you get to wear your pajamas to work every day? So what do you do that you wear scrubs to work?

2008-02-06 1:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
I'm an ER nurse. In one of the busiest ERs in Sacramento Gotta figure out a way to keep up on my workouts when I'm a stretch of 3-4 12 hour shifts in a row. Days off from work are not a problem to find time to workout, but the working days can be. Anyone else in a similar situation?
2008-02-08 10:19 AM
in reply to: #1197473

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis

sparky - 2008-02-06 2:10 PM I'm an ER nurse. In one of the busiest ERs in Sacramento Gotta figure out a way to keep up on my workouts when I'm a stretch of 3-4 12 hour shifts in a row. Days off from work are not a problem to find time to workout, but the working days can be. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Crossing the finish line really represents maybe 5% of the process of doing a tri.  The other 95% is all of the work and sacrifice you did to get there.  I know it's tough to balance work and workouts.  Just do your best and don't sacrifice mental and emotional balance.

2008-02-08 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma

sparky - 2008-02-06 1:10 PM I'm an ER nurse. In one of the busiest ERs in Sacramento Gotta figure out a way to keep up on my workouts when I'm a stretch of 3-4 12 hour shifts in a row. Days off from work are not a problem to find time to workout, but the working days can be. Anyone else in a similar situation?

I work full time as an Oncology Nurse. Luckily no 12 hour shifts, just five 8 hour days. But I do also go to school full-time, taking 13 hours this semester, so life is crazy trying to fit training in. It has been really hard these last few weeks with the cooties, but when I get back into full swing, swim workouts will be in the morning, with bike and run after work before school work.

I would suggest seeing if you can get work outs in before work, because it would be just too easy to blow off a workout after a 12 hour day.

2008-02-10 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

sparky - 2008-02-06 2:10 PM I'm an ER nurse. In one of the busiest ERs in Sacramento Gotta figure out a way to keep up on my workouts when I'm a stretch of 3-4 12 hour shifts in a row. Days off from work are not a problem to find time to workout, but the working days can be. Anyone else in a similar situation?

I work 12 hour days rarely, but when they happen, I try to beat the clock by getting my workout first.  We all know that saving it for later can mean skipping it altogether.  I'd like to be able to run at night, after being on the go all day, but that just doesn't happen...rest is needed.

Rest aside, have you considered using your breaks for mini-workouts with pushup & squats in rounds of "as many as you can do in _X minutes"?  Or what about doing stretching and visualization routine in a free 10-15 minutes?  Visualize having free time again to use those cycling quads, the running hammies, etc. 

Cheers, -Sunny 

2008-02-10 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think we have a group of morning people, which I just don't get.

I'm going to just suck it up and plan on picking x number of days I'm working to workout after I get off work and that'll be that. I cannot get up any earlier than I already am on days I work -most mornings I'm lucky to breeze into work 1-2 minutes before the start of my shift.

Sunny, I do appreicate your suggestion of visualizations. Most days I'm lucky to get a quick coffee break in the morning and a lunch, and those are spent on my backside, to give my feet a rest.

We're in the middle of a lawsuit (most hospitals in this area either have, or are litigation right now) regarding us missing breaks without compensation. If that does come through and I get a cash settlement, some new gear will be in order.....

Have a great week all!

2008-02-11 12:06 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Personally, I just cannot do the morning thing, I know I am going to have to but I have failed everytime I try. I am lucky in that I have few responsibilities besides work so if I get home at 7:00 p.m. I can spend 2 hours working out, not that I do but I could. Problem is it takes so much time, morning workouts for March, goal...
2008-02-12 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Lots of challenges in waking up early, fitting it in... I guess I can only continue to encourage and reassure that it gets easier.  Going to be before the Daily Show helps, but even if you just try a few mornings a week -- some starting in March -- I think you'll find it pretty energizing after a few tries.  

My challenge is to keep logging my nutrition and see what I'm getting too much of/not enough of this month.  It's no surprise that I could eat more veggies and protein, fewer carbs and fluff like pretzels, sweets, and bread, but it's helpful to see it all in the log.  And when I'm not at the computer, I write it into a small notebook every 8-10 hours or so, which means I recall things better when I do get to login and enter it.  Every little thing...just trying to make it easy on myself.  Eventually, healthier eating will be second-nature.  Soon... 

2008-02-12 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
I am having a hard time with morning workouts right now. The problem is that is when I swim, and if you look at my logs, you can see that my swimming is sorely lacking right now. When I lived in the ATL, I lived by myself and it was easier to control my schedule, but now sharing a house with my sister and niece, I am finding that harder to do. I have got to get back on track soon, though.
2008-02-16 8:48 AM

New user

Morning everyone--I'm just checking in--have been exercising almost everyday, but haven't been logging. I don't know why, but I'm going to get back on it--actually, I know why--I haven't been working out hard enough--I'm getting back in today, though.

I signed up for swimming lessons and my first one is this morning--wish me luck!!

I think I found the perfect tri for me. It is a supersprint in Delavan, WI and it is on June 7th. It is 1/4 mile swim, 12 mile bike and 1 mile run. I think that is something that I could definitely shoot for, what do you think? Purple Swimmer, I know you and I live closer to each other--is this something you'd be interested in doing?

Talk to everyone soon, I hope!
2008-02-18 12:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Hi all-

Haven't we been a quiet group? How's everyone been- besdies SEXY of course.

As soon as my tax return rolls in (hopefully this week), I'm going to sign up for the Danskin New England - yee haw! My swimming and biking will be up to snuff by then no worries, but I'm really hoping the running follows suit.

The weather here has been gorgeous so by the end of the week I'm going to attempt my first outdoor run and bike ride. Run being relative, but it'll be nice to get out of the gym for a few days and share my pasty white legs with the rest of the world.

Have a great week everyone!

2008-02-18 7:29 AM
in reply to: #1217660

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma

sparky - 2008-02-18 12:44 AM Hi all- Haven't we been a quiet group? How's everyone been- besdies SEXY of course. As soon as my tax return rolls in (hopefully this week), I'm going to sign up for the Danskin New England - yee haw! My swimming and biking will be up to snuff by then no worries, but I'm really hoping the running follows suit. The weather here has been gorgeous so by the end of the week I'm going to attempt my first outdoor run and bike ride. Run being relative, but it'll be nice to get out of the gym for a few days and share my pasty white legs with the rest of the world. Have a great week everyone!

Good luck with your outdoor stuff! I remember last June when I got outside for the first time. Three miles on my MTB kicked my butt. It was hard for me to move from the comfortableness of the gym to the outside world, but once I did there was no looking back. Now I prefer the outdoors any day.

2008-02-18 8:27 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Hey, well I did it, 50 k. Crazy. Check out race report, put in a picture too, let me know if you can see it or if you cant, not quite sure how to work the stuff yet.

Easy week planned.

FYI: Monday was a holiday here in Alberta. Family Day.
2008-02-19 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Oh my...I just read your Race Report -- nice work BigDH.  You totally earned your Family Day off from *everything*

Cheers, -Sunny

P.S.  I am still logging my cals and P/C/F% and am learning a lot, trying to eat less but higher quality food.

2008-02-21 8:47 PM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis
Keep on keeping on peeps!
2008-02-22 10:41 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Happy Friday!!

Have a great weekend.

2008-02-24 7:39 PM

New user

Today, I did a spin class and then walked 3 miles in 50 minutes. Then I took a nap. Not bad...I got farther than I thought considering I haven't been working out that much in February. Last week my kids were all sick the whole week and the week before my husband was out of town...I should have gone to the gym during the day but it's tax season and I'm crazy busy. I'm working 6+ days a week. My January was really good and now I've been sluffing. I got get back on track...Motivation anyone.

2008-02-25 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1232691

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

purpleswimmer - 2008-02-24 8:39 PM Today, I did a spin class and then walked 3 miles in 50 minutes. Then I took a nap. Not bad...I got farther than I thought considering I haven't been working out that much in February. Last week my kids were all sick the whole week and the week before my husband was out of town...I should have gone to the gym during the day but it's tax season and I'm crazy busy. I'm working 6+ days a week. My January was really good and now I've been sluffing. I got get back on track...Motivation anyone.

Sounds like you're getting back on track now.  Can you build a little success streak to take yourself from February into March?  Only 3 days left!  And with tax season and all, you know it won't get easier again until April, so work hard now to re-set your body, release your stress, and re-prioritize yourself.  Why?  You're worth it!  You'll see benefits in the summer season ahead!  You'll feel better, period. 

How's that for motivation?  

2008-02-25 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1227355

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Big Sexy - 2008-02-21 9:47 PM Keep on keeping on peeps!

I am.  My nutrition log is fully up-to-date and only 3 days left in this short month! 

I can already see dietary changes to make in March, and I know that tracking it closely now will help me eat more intuitively then.  I can look forward to being lighter, leaner very soon...patience and persistence are what it takes, every time, almost all of the time. 

2008-02-27 12:30 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Sunny,

Good work with your goal for this month.

I have mixed feelings with my goal, made it through the race, also did some biking and got more comfortable in the aero position, however all told I feel I really neglected my biking, it is just so boring.

Time for new goals for March?????

Mine is to bike 3 times a week, swim twice a week, run twice a week and go to karate twice a week.

Specifically with biking I want a mininum of 45 minutes a workout and to get the workout done in the morning before work.

Pray for spring for me so that I can get out on the road on a couple weekends.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BIG SEXY's group---FULL of sexiness. Rss Feed  

of 7