Other Resources Challenge Me! » Biggest as I've ever been no longer challenge... Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-29 6:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Biggest as I've ever been no longer challenge...
Can I start up one of these? I'm not even sure how these challenges work.

Is anyone out there are heavy as they have ever been b/c I've become limited to only a few pairs of pants due to my ever expanding waist and I'm refusing to go out and purchase teh next size of pants. Tell me I'm not alone.

My plan is to kick it into high gears come January 1st or maybe the 2nd, and I hope to drop atleast 20 pounds before June this year and the maybe another 20 by next year b/c any dreams of an ironman will be diminished if I continue to gain at the pace that I'm going.

Weightgain is funny, it sneaks up on you and the road to fitness seem so far away but I'm going to try and remain focused, take it one day at a time, and log into this thread once a week and update on my progress. Maybe this will be the motivation that I need.

I will be weighing in sometime next week so I would appreciate it if someone would come to my house to kick my behind if I'm not making progress or go astray.

I hope all have a great new year...

2007-12-29 7:09 PM
in reply to: #1122284

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Subject: RE: Biggest as I've ever been no longer challenge...
Hi BrianO!

Yep, you can start a challenge.

(Put it this way, I've started a few, and no one has yelled at me yet. And if they let a crazy person like me start one, then I'm guessing they'll let everyone else do it too. )

You may want to look at the "Tri'ing for Weightloss" forum, too. I think that they have some weightloss challenges going on now. Here's a link:
http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=...

I agree, the weightgain DOES sneak up on you, doesn't it? Best of luck getting those pounds off!

Happy new year to you, too!

Dee
2007-12-30 7:09 AM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
I agree with Dee.  Check out the weight loss forum.  They've got some great challenges and some great people to help get you motivated and moving in the right direction. 

The weight loss journey is difficult, but OH-SO-WORTH the effort.  It only takes one good choice at a time.  Choose to eat lean proteins- fruits- veggies and whole grains over candy and cookies.  The first few times, your mind will kick and scream and you'll be VERY cranky, but each time you make a good choice, the choices get easier.  Give yourself a break and go through the house and throw away everything that is crap.  Don't just throw it in the kitchen trash - take it away.  (yes, I've actually gone through the trash to get candy out)   Go to the store and buy fresh foods.  Watch FitTv or The Biggest Loser, or a motivational dvd.  Read motivational stuff.  Surround yourself with stories of people who have done great things.  It's amazing what it does to your motivation and thinking.  Postive people and positive stories get your mind where it needs to be PLUS it helps you with the idiots who tell you it can't be done.  YOU can do anything you convince yourself that you can do! 

Sorry, I kind of got carried away, but I've struggled my whole life with being fat and its important to me to  be fit and healthy now.  Good luck!
2007-12-30 7:26 AM

User image

Expert
Twin Cities

Your goals for weight loss are extremely realistic - you don't really want to lose more than 1-2 pounds a week (okay, YOU might want to lose it faster, but it is bad news for your lean body mass). 

You have already completed the first couple of steps on the journey - realizing that it is necessary, deciding to act on that realization, and then throwing it out into the universe for support and accountability.

As a person who has lost 30 pounds since last June, I can tell you that dropping the weight will do WONDERS for your triathlon training and racing.  In my mind, I see the extra weight as a big ol' bag of dog food, or water softener salt... do you want to lug that around on your back?  Obviously, you don't.  (I still need to lose another 30 pounds, and that is my goal for this coming June).

And, don't think it is an all or nothing type of thing... heck, one of the nice things about being a triathlete is that it is okay to have sweets... but during and post-workout for longer training sessions.  

Tammy and Dee have already given you some great suggestions, so I won't repeat those.

DON'T let the numbers on the scale deceive you... there will be times when that darn "needle" barely budges... but if you pay attention to how you look in the mirror, how your clothing fits, etc., you will probably see plenty of body composition changes, as well.

When you weigh in, using a tape measure and take body measurements, as well... when the scale is stubborn, the tape measure can be your friend. 

So, heck yeah, start up a challenge... I'm in!! 

2007-12-30 6:44 PM

User image

Hi BrianO,

Thanks for putting up a great challenge.  The soon-to-be-over 2007 was my first triathlon season, and I started out doing fairly well, most importantly consistent.  The winter months have not been good to me though (or me to myself I should say), and I think this challenge may well be the kick I need.

Thanks and I'm looking forward to the group.

Happy New Years to everyone!

Laura

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Biggest as I've ever been no longer challenge... Rss Feed