Singapore
MR25
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 06m 25s
Overall Rank = 75/110
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6am, had a cup of yogurt and MILO.
Event warmup:

Didn't have time to warm up as immediately after I register for the race, it starts.
Run
  • 8h 06m 13s
  • 52.5 kms
  • 09m 16s  min/km
Comments:

It must have sound crazy but I ran and complete the MR25 Cross Country Ultra Marathon!
For the first 2 rounds, I was running quite comfortably at an even pace. Luckily, there was this guy who use to pace me during the NIKE runaholics ran with me throughout the 2 rounds. I was not sure if our pace was too slow from him cause he was running 4hrs marathon during Standard Chartered Marathon early this month. I definitely couldn't go any faster and I was hoping that we will breakout after the 2nd round cause I cannot maintain the pace for the remaining rounds. True enough, after we break after the 2nd round, he proceed on his own. I was glad I don't have to tell him that I cannot continue with the pace.

During the 3rd round, I was struggling with run walk run. Throughout I was alone. When I completed the 3rd round, I had to stop to do some stretching before I continue the run. I had to top up my fuel too. I got some bananas, those cute mandarin oranges and powergels. My ankle hurts like crazy, I tried to twist and turn to stretch. Luckily I didn't have any blisters cause I was wearing a new ASIC running shoes. Thank god the shoe was comfortable and well supported even without any insole to correct my pronation. I think this is going to be my favourite shoe from now on. It is definitely lighter than my previous NIKE shoe.

For my 4th round, I practically walk almost the entire distance. I was wondering if I could finish the last round as I walk. Half way through the 4th round, n_evets passed me for his 5th round. I tried as much as possible to stay positive and continue. As soon as I finished the 4th round, I was determine that even if I have to walk the entire route I will have to finish the race to get the finisher t-shirt. Besides, at the resting stop, there were many others who are in the same boat. No one is giving up.

I start the 5th round with a walk. I couldn't run anymore. I try as much as possible to walk fast. As I passed some trekkers along the way, I know that I am not walking too slowly. Half way through the forest, another participant say hi to me. He introduced himself as Kevin and from then on, miracle starts to happen. As we chat, we run and and walk at the same time. It definitely breaks the monotony of the run. He helps to push me to move forward. As we run, I feel that i should not stop until he stops. That helps to push me to run. Amazingly, it works. The only problem is my legs feels tired. Although I want to push forward, it is held back by the fatigue. When we reach the Lornie Road, we both feels glad that it is going to be over soon. We tried to maintain the pace and push on until the finishing. About 20m away from finishing, I told him that I want to dash to finishing but he decided to take his time cause he can't do it. So I went ahead and sprint to finish with the timing of 8hr 6mins.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Did some stretching of the muscles.

I had to rest for a while before I could even drink or eat anything. I guess when I am tired, I just need to rest. The legs felt so sore that I couldn't even walk properly. Even when I finished the Standard Chartered Marathon it was not as bad. I couldn't imagine how it would be like at Sundown Ultra-Marathon next year. I guess this is a good gauge of how I would feel after the race at Sundown. Even after some rest, my legs and knees still hurts. I wonder how I am going to work tommorrow morning.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training.

Event comments:

Since this is a club event, I am not expecting anything fancy.

Last updated: 2007-12-30 12:00 AM
Running
08:06:13 | 52.5 kms | 09m 16s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/110
Performance: Average
Below is my timing for each round of the race: 1st round - 01:11 hrs 161/173 (avg/max) 2nd round - 01:12 hrs 165/176 (avg/max) 3rd round - 01:46 hrs 150/169 (avg/max) 4th round - 02:01 hrs 137/153 (avg/max) 5th round - 01:54 hrs 138/164 (avg/max)
Course: How the Ultra Marathon works is that each participant have up to 12 hours to complete as many rounds as possible but to earn the finisher T-shirt, you have to finish at least 5 rounds of about 10.5. This is an annual race organised by MR25 on the last Sunday of the year. It was my first attempt of an Ultra Marathon distance. The challenging part of this unique race is that it is rocky and undulating. The race attracts overseas participants from Malaysia and Thailand. Although MacRichie is quite shady, a large part of the run is also exposed to sun. Needless to say, I am burnt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes