Annapolis Striders, Inc
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 20s
Overall Rank = 890/4376
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 131/472
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 600 and had half of a Snickers marathon bar. Drove to my sister's and she then drove us to Annapolis. The race started on the Naval Academy grounds, beginning (and ending) at the football stadium. She had picked up our race packets the day before, so we didn't have to worry about doing it race morning.
Event warmup:

Waited in line at the bathroom. Then walked out to the starting line. As it was a chip race it didn't matter that I started 5 minutes or so after the gun went off.
Run
  • 1h 23m 20s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

This is a huge race, with roughly 5000 runners. Becasue I'd had all of one 10 mile run done since May, and the fact that the weather was ridiculously humid, I decided to run this as a training run. This was a chip race, so I wasn't concerned about starting 6 plus minutes after the gun went off.

Hit the first mile at 8:11, and figured that I would be around this pace for the remainder of the race. Also at the end of the first mile, I was totally drenched with perspiration. They had water stops at every mile, and starting with the 2nd mile, I stopped for water at all of the even numbered stops. After spilling most of the first cup, I decided to drink a full cup, and walked each of the water stops where I took drinks.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, it was just a training run.
Post race
Warm down:

Anheuser Busch was there and gave out free beer after the race. There's nothing better than drinking cold beer at 9:30 in the morning after a hot 10 mile run...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The high humidity.

Event comments:

This race is know for the 3 H's - heat, hills and humidity.

Last updated: 2007-08-13 12:00 AM
Running
01:23:20 | 10 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 131/472
Overall: 890/4376
Performance: Average
Course: A rolling course starting and ending at the Naval Academy, with a number of steep climbs throughout the course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?