Running Room
-25C / -13F
Overcast
Total Time = 33m 11s
Overall Rank = 40/300
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Almond butter and jelly and Nutella and coffee.
Bundled up
Drove first wife and kids to venue (Kids volunteered-indoors!)

Event warmup:

Ran about 1K with Starcorp to warm up. He wouldn't shut up about how cold it was. It was cold! But I built up a sweat and when we got back inside I had to strip everything down.
Went to the bathroom no less that 6 times.
Run
  • 33m 11s
  • 6 kms
  • 05m 32s  min/km
Comments:

Not the best run, but a personal best at this distance.

I started out with Starcorp way too fast and ended up having to slow down to catch my pace and relax a bit. I was never completely comfortable, but it's a race right. I walked just a bit up the uphill segment (my HR was already pushing 160 at that point, I didn't want to go into the red) I started kicking it after that and did a negative split. Started to feel stronger in the last 2-3 K.
Had some trouble breathing and catching my breath because of the cold and the balaclava.
What would you do differently?:

Not run out so fast, but that did give me a good head start. I should have started a bit slower and built up, but I know that when I start slow, I usually stay slow, at least with a blistering fast start, I have some room to slow down without having a bad time.
Post race
Warm down:

Waiting for the first wife to come around. Some stretching and eating with all the other runners.
Got home and did more stretching out on the rollers.
Much of the pain of this morning is gone.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The ice and cold. I had some of that psychological defeating self-talk at places. I didn't really need to walk up that hill did I??? I have to kill that little voice that tries to slow me down.

Event comments:

This wasn't so much a race as it was a chance to get out in the freezing cold on the first day of the year with a bunch of like-minded lunatics and go fast. 300 people running together in -25 is fun. Ran with the Mayor and some of my Tri friends for a bit and Starcorp showed he's still boss (again!) First wife also ran too and that's a bonus as is having the kids around as volunteers-free food, can't beat that!

A nice way to start the year!

Last updated: 2007-12-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:11 | 06 kms | 05m 32s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/300
Performance: Good
HR Kept very high. Started very fast, about a 4.30 pace. I couldn't sustain that and slowed down after 2 k Avg HR 156, Max 165
Course: From YMCA around south end of the Wascana Lake. Very icy, hard to get footing at parts. Otherwise it was great. I actually overheated at parts, except where the wind hit. That was cold! Running mostly through park, but not closed to traffic. A couple of cars. No worries.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-01-01 12:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: Resolution Run 5k

2008-01-01 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1126135

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Resolution Run 5k

Indeed, a crazy nice way to start the year! Congratulations on your PB (it had to be PB, because you probably never ran this odd distance - I sure haven't...) and on not losing some parts of your body in this freezer (hope it's all functional still)! Well, you did it again!

2008-01-01 3:32 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Mmmmm... peanut butter.  I'm guessing that PB was crunchy given the weather conditions.  Either way, congratulations on your effort, your PB and for not getting frostbitten.  Great job out there! 

2008-01-01 5:44 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

Wow!  -25*C... now that's cold.  Nice job out there today!

Pattie

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Resolution Run 5k Rss Feed