General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does PF ever go away? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-01-01 3:30 PM

Subject: Does PF ever go away?
I have recently been told that I have a falling arch which has caused extremely painful PF. I have been reading about stretches and pain management but has anyone had success in having it go away? Is this something that I will just have to deal with forever or what? Please give me hope.

Thanks, Pam

2008-01-01 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1126361

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Subject: RE: Does PF ever go away?

Hi Pam,

While I can't say for sure that it ever goes away, I can tell you that the pain can be managed and possibly not come back.  I was diagnosed with it originally 7 years ago and am finally without constant pain.  I do wear inserts from my podiatrist in all my shoes, don't wear high heals unless absolutely necessary and am in good sneakers 99.9% of the time.  Luckily for me, I can get away with that as a SAHM.

I do have to say that I do the exercises/stretches and have had several cortisone injections into my feet (although this can cause its own problems down the line).  A combination of all this along with surprisingly the biking part of the triathlon training seems to have eliminated the pain (for now and hopefully forever).  Make sure to stretch your calves and hamstrings, not just your feet.

There are several threads on BT about PF

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=84208&posts=30&highlight=plantar%20fasciitis&highlightmode=2#M1050098

On there, someone posted "Try something for a moment. Try massaging your calf muscles just below the knee and a bit towards the inside. Are there some very tender spots there? Maybe an inch or two below the knee?

If so, try massaging that area a few times a day, right on the most sore spot."  and I have been doing this frequently and have had even greater reduction in PF pain.  I am not sure whether it is a pressure point or a cause of the PF but either way, it did seem to help. 

Good luck and I know how it feels.
Randi

2008-01-01 8:34 PM
in reply to: #1126623

Thanks for the suggestions and the hope that this will go away or at least get better. I will work on getting arch supports and learning the exercises. I am determined to complete a tri this year and the run training is a bit daunting with this PF. I have been told not to try to run through it so I am working on a healthy longterm management. Thanks for the support.
Pam
2008-01-02 12:35 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Well I got diagnosed with it in October and I would say in the last couple of weeks its almost gone... for now....

Here is what I did:

- Got fitted for custom orthotics and wear them at all times (apart from when barefoot at home and when having to wear heels for work but heels do definatley bring it on and make it worse for me)

- Stretching often, calves, quads, glutes

- Roll my ITB and feet

- In the initial stages tape my feet at all time to relieve pressure

- Stop running, walking and for a little while I stopped all cycling as well... no point aggravating it until its started to heal

Im not cleared to run again yet but thats due to a knee issue but I didnt spend over 1.5hours on my feet walking on NYE without any pain or discomfort... so  Im pretty optimistic about the Pf!

Best of Luck

Cat 

2008-01-02 1:14 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
It should.  I first had it about 5 years ago.  It went away and was only an occasional blip on my radar.  It's now back with a vengeance...going on 5+ months and it won't go away.
2008-01-02 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1126623

Champion
South Jersey

Also, try massaging the PF. Stand on a tennis ball with affected foot and just move it around. If it hurts, that's good. keep doing it. More effective than a tennis ball would be The Stick. Just put it on the ground and keep rolling your foot over it (with your weight on The Stick). The PF fans out on the bottom of your foot, so hit everything, not just the spot that's most painful. Even if it's the heel that hurts, you need to massage the entire bottom of the foot.

Good luck .

2008-01-10 11:35 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
First you have to stop the pain and inflammation. Taping, reduced activity & rest, icing, and putting your feet up may all help. When it's not hurting, you have to remember that the tissues are still weakened, even very weak, and may also be less flexible from scaring and thickening, so it's really easy to strain them again.

Work on the flexibility with stretching and massage but be careful not to overdo it because that can cause injury too. To avoid re-injury you have to build the strength back very gradually. It's tricky because you may not feel it at the time when you over strain your foot but the inflammation sets in and you notice pain starting a day or two later so you don't realize what caused it. It can take a long long time, especially with setbacks, to regain safer levels of flexibility and strength so keep up the stretching. You can get better but you can't rush it!
2008-01-10 9:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
Yes, it will go away, but firts you have to stop the movement patterns that are making you prone to it in the first place.

PF generally comes because of overtight calves. Now whether or not that comes because of poor ankle stability or because of adducting knees due to poor hip stability or both would be determined by a movement assessment. In the absence of that, I would suggest that you follow these stretches and strengthening rountine.

Foam roll - calves(particularly lateral gastroc), IT band, hip flexors, pirformis, inner thighs, lats
Stretch - calves(particularly lateral gastroc), IT band, hip flexors, inner thighs, lats
Strengthen - glute max, glute medius, core, abs(especially lower)

Do this at least once every day until the pain goes away. Then do it a couple of times a week for maintainence. Make sure to wear an arch support at all times to prevent further injury until it goes away. Ice, Ibprofin, gentle massage, strasburg socks(if you can get sleep with them) all are great.

In short, treat the cause, not just the symptoms.
2008-01-10 10:09 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

I have the same problem, I have learned some new things here thanks, I have had it in both feet, wearing the Strasbourg sock and I got another type of night time brace does help.  Right now my right foot has been fine, if I feel tension coming on I use the sock for a night and it takes care of it.

My left foot has been the real problem. like someone else said they got cortisone and with that had a whole new set of problems.  What I have read about cortisone is it can weaken tendons.... I got the cortisone without researching it, and it was a mistake, I think my problems I have now is because the tissue got really weak from the shot and then when I tried to start running again after 6 weeks off, I tore the fascia, and that is taking a very long time to heal.

Someone told me to freeze water in a 16oz water bottle and roll your foot on it. I wish I learned that sooner, I think it works great.  You can roll your foot on it while surfing BT!

2008-01-14 5:18 AM

Moscow
I sure hope PF goes away-I've been hosting this ^%@*! problem since July 4th (one run too far, too fast-serves me right for ramping up mileage and speed too quickly), and it's been very slow to recover. I do appreciate all of the tips everyone is offering from their experience-I'm using most of them, and will immediately employ the rest.

Beyond the vexing slow-to-heal and the irksome, everyday pain I'm also really having to wrestle with the sheer frustration: I've had stress fractures, a pulled achilles tendon, and all kinds of pulled muscles, but this is just about the most annoying injury I've faced. So if you've got plantar fasciitis, you're not suffering alone-hang in there!

Edited by bohologo 2008-01-14 5:32 AM
2008-01-14 6:57 AM

Champion
No excuses!
I have had this issue on and off for the last 8 years. It will go away but you for me I have to stretch diligently for weeks to get myself so flexible that it finally slowly but surely loosens enough that the pain goes away. I also find I don't have many issues in the summer vs winter probably due to the cold.

2008-01-15 4:13 PM
in reply to: #1154091

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Some say yes some say no. 

Take a look at this for another aspect of the proactive side of things, Short Foot Posture.  Found this a couple months back and it's for strengthening the muscles in the foot arch to assist with arch issues such as Plantar Fasciitis.

I started having PF in Aug when I was ramping up miles for marathon training.  I took a month off, returned to running in Oct and was having nagging issues with it still but kept on running and dealing with it the best I could.  Then I started doing the SFP exercise whenever I'm at my desk along with what I call toes grabs (for the intrinsic muscles, see beginning of "Managing Plantar Fascitis in the 1st link below).  BTW, I couldn't name any of this info off the top of my head, I'm copying and pasting for ya!

Does it work?  Well I had to take another 3 weeks off due to a hamstring pull in early Dec and have been doing them on a reg basis for over a month now and I'm running again without PF pain issues.   But I am maintaining a routine of stretching, self massage and foot related exercises to keep it at bay.  I also went through all my old shoes and tossed them out on advise from the folks at our local running store.  The pair I had on when I went there for new shoes and inserts was my favorite pair but also very unsupportive for me.

The domain for the link above has a lot of other information on the interactions of the lower leg & foot/arches: Planter Fasciitis info and Abductor Hallucis info.  Hope this helps...

2008-01-15 6:18 PM
in reply to: #1158186

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Thanks Donto, new stuff, I like it.
2008-01-18 10:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Nebraska

Great ideas on this thread.  My wife is struggling with the same questions.  PF seems to have less than clear answers sometimes, and is very frustrating for her, but this  will probably be helpful. 

Edited by KMac40 2008-01-18 10:43 AM
2008-01-18 1:26 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
I've been trying all of the above suggestions and more to no avail the last six months.  So I finally broke down and got a coritsone shot a few days ago.  Verdict still out on that one....
2008-01-18 2:20 PM
in reply to: #1164377

User image

Long Island, NY
PF can be a real pain in the a$$. I've had it twice, on each foot, at different times. Thankfully, that was many years ago (at least 7). There are many ways of combating PF, and what works for one may or may not work for another. That is the most important lesson to know. It can go away quickly or take many, many months. With me, it took about 18 months until I was cured.

YOU must read thru this site, it is filled with great information --> http://heelspurs.com/index.html

Here are some things that I felt worked for me;

--The calf stretches
--Ice
--Sleep in the 'night boot' (Road Runner Sports has it as does the heelspurs site.)
--Massage (I really thought the Foot Rubz ball was helpful -http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006NKMP4/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2Q2DGDL9OEITE&colid=2SPIKWD0OP67P)
--Birkenstocks!! I were my Arizonas whenever possible
--Run on soft surfaces when possible - very important while recovering. After a while, you can transition to the roads.
--Also, when it is better, try to do some running barefoot preferably on sand, but grass is also fine.
--Backwards running, as you start back, a few easy 50yd backward jogs. Helps strengthed the feet. Begin on soft surfaces too.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any questions.

2008-02-11 4:41 PM

Moscow
One quick update to this: it's not an instant cure, but it's giving me hope: my physio has been taping my foot, and it's really making a difference. It looks something like this:
http://www.heel-that-pain.com/plantar_fascia/plantar_fascia_taping....

I do recommend trying this treatment, if available to you-it's the one thing that's made me think I'll beat this.
2008-02-11 6:01 PM
in reply to: #1205934

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
HA! My left foot is taped exactly like that at this moment. Today was my first appointment with the PT...
2008-02-22 8:29 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Has anyone tried the night splint? I am recovering from a small bout of pf...was training for half marathon in January and had a slight recurrence of prior (2001 marathon) pf that had knocked me out for about 6 months at the time. I am back to normal (completely stopped running, iced, massage, stretches, etc) and want to start training (lightly on the run portion) for an Oly in May. If anyone has experience with the night splint or other suggestions re: keeping pf at bay. It seems to only start bothering me if I go longer than 10 miles or too much road running. I have orthotics and do the stretches as much as possible, but keep seeing the night splint for pf...

pf go away!

Thanks,

Kim
2008-02-23 6:23 AM
in reply to: #1230080

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Back in 2001 when my PF was diagnosed, I had the night splint but it bothered me so much that I could not wear it.  The one I had no strappin on my ankle so it held my foot in place by the toes and then up on my shin.  It did not have anything to hold my heel/ankle in the splint so as my foot relaxed, it strained my ankle.  Not sure that makes sense but if you are going with a night splint,  make sure to get one that holds the foot and ankle firmly in the flexed position.  I have since found that I can achieve the same benefits but just sliding down in my bed and sleeping on my stomach,  hanging my feet over the end of bed and pushing them up against the footboard.  Keeps them flexed,  stretches the PF and I since I have been doing this (at least a year or more), I have had no pain on a regular but I do also regularly stretch and massage and I think that all these in combination help keep it at bay or keep it from getting worse when I do have the rare flair-ups.
2008-02-25 3:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rocklin
It went away for me...keep stretching and I worked through it. I did have two cortizone shots and they helped with pain, but ultimatley I ran through it...it took a year.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does PF ever go away? Rss Feed