• 2h 33m 50s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 11m 44s /Mi

Foot started hurting pretty good at mile 4, starting to cramp at mile 6. At mile 9 I was down to walking 1/4 a mile to get the foot to release, run 3/4 a mile through 12.5 and then made it through the last bit. Wanted less than 2:30, but this is still a 5 min PR from the last time I did a half 2 years ago. Had to laugh at Mary - she said she finished in 2:28 which would have been great if you could stop your garmin at the porta potties. I knew it was going to be rough for me so I told her to go ahead. She had to potty at mile 6 and stopped her garmin while she waited in line and did the deed. Her husband had to tell her that's great but that isn't your time - the race clock doesn't stop. She pushed through knee pain and couldn't put weight on her left leg when she was finished. Hoping she goes to the dr like she said she was going to. I think it is her IT band, but what do I know.


Blisters - not too bad - first baby toe on R foot as usual. Blistered the top and under the nail earlier this year and lost the toenail. Had 1/2 a nail back and did the exact same thing today and at mile 11 I felt the nail pop lose. Quite a weird feeling. Blood in the blister but luckily not in my sock or shoe. Went to the massage tent after we watched Chris finish and had them work on my feet. Big improvement on the cramping feet when we were waiting for Chris to finish the full. Hot shower and then home. More later...


Got home and hubby didn't hunt tonight (opening weekend of rifle season here) and we went to sushi for my birthday dinner (he has class tomorrow night).

  • Walking
  • 30m

Got to Tulsa, walked around the expo, checked into my hotel (which turned out to  be Mary/Chris's as well). Relaxed for a couple hours, early dinner at Zios (Italian) and back to the hotel. Lounging in bed until I fell asleep at 9.

All packed and ready to go. Going to caravan with Mary/Chris (I am running with Mary) up to Tulsa so I am not by myself. They don't want me going to the expo/eating tonight by myself. OK. I had planned to take food and eat at my hotel - they don't have reservations but they want me to go with them. This should be an adventure.

  • Physical Therapy
  • 1h 00m

Went back to see my PT (Scott) again today at 2. Noticed the past week or so some of the pain from the calf has rotated around to the front of the inside of my leg. Found by rolling a golf ball under my foot that he thinks I have a posterior shin splint as well. That muscle runs down in the arch of my foot and man it about kills me to roll that golf ball under that foot. Did some of that, did some stick work on the front of the leg, ice, heat, and some other fun things.

He thinks it will help but wishes we would have started sooner. I am just glad I was able to go in and see him for free these past couple of days. He cheered me on and said he expects to know how it went. So glad I managed to get a good PT to try and help. Taped on the front of the leg around the sore spot in the front. Ice the front, roll the foot and hopefully can make it through. Don't get me wrong - he also set very clear guidelines on when to stop, when to walk and when to catch a sag wagon and made me promise I would listen to my body. He said no crutches next week :)

Went and dropped a present off for a friends child that I will miss his party tomorrow, then out to dinner with hubby then back working until 10pm. Ugh. Off to Tulsa sometime tomorrow. Need to pack yet.

  • 21m 19s
  • 2.00 miles
  • 10m 40s /Mi

Supposed to be an easy two miles - WTH was I doing? Felt like I was going miserably slow but it felt hard. Now I know why. I can't do this pace. This isn't supposed to be what the last run before the half is to look like. Tape on L calf and ankle, compression on both calves. It hurt but if I can slow it down I may be able to pull it off.  Stretching today and then I think tonight I will take the tape off and biofreeze it. See if that helps. Another trick from the PT to try.

Went and saw my PT that I saw for my hand. Surprisingly we have a good relationship and I trust him completely. He offered to check out the calf and see if he could help a little before the race. Went in and he did a bunch of checks, stretches etc and thinks I have ticked off the two muscles behind the calf due to the initial injury in the ankle from compensating for the ankle.  Worked on the calf quite a bit and taped it up. Offered for me to come back tomorrow and he will work on it some more and tape it again if it helps.

Feels good this morning. Will wait for some light to come up and try for a 2 mile run as planned today. Hoping for good results.

Sport #1
  • Physical Therapy
  • 30m
Sport #2
  • Stretching
  • 30m
5 days - some stretching today - maybe a walk. Stretching definantly. Will run a short tomorrow. Don't need to do it 3 days in a row during taper.

  • 16m 17s
  • 1.36 miles
  • 11m 58s /Mi

Life got in the way today for this run and the calf was talking. Slower than I wanted, not as far as I wanted. Will try again tomorrow. Anybody got any magic fairy dust?

Today the list says I am #4662. Hmmm... Guess I will be something. Small run on the agenda for tonight 3ish.

#4634 sounds like a lucky number. :)

spackard's Training Log

 November 2012 
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 
  • May's totals
  • April's totals
  • 2021 totals
  • 2020 totals