• 2h 28m 25s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 11m 19s /Mi

Considering the circumstances I was happy with the time. First time under 2:30. Was on track for 2:15 until 7.5 miles and then it went down hill. First 7.5 miles was a 10:50 average. Last 5.5 was just under 12mm average. Can tell where the ankle took over.

So woke up this morning and could barely put pressure on the ankle - got better the more I was up on it. Went down to the race. Figured if it got too bad I would walk the race. :( Started off and ankle was talking mildly to me. Had long sleeves on which came off at mile 3 of the race. Gloves were shoved down my run top I think at Mile 2. It was 42* this morning but I can't run with things on my hands. Listened to my mp3 to tone out the ankle. Run felt good at mile 2. Took a chomp and stuck it in my cheek to suck on it. Got to mile 3 and I did a short walk to let the foot relax and get my breathing under control. Got to mile 5ish and took another short walk break. Foot was getting more and more peeved with me. Just before the turn around at 7.5 miles I stopped to walk and try not to cry. The foot at this point was hurting not only on the outside but the bottom as well. It hurt to go to either side to pass people. I had stepped off the bike path and was walking on the dirt path next to it. I went to step up and couldn't pick up my foot enough and I hit the side of the trail and almost tripped myself. Chris caught me but it sent pain up through my left leg. Keep going but took more walk breaks on the last 5.5. Hit 6.55 miles at 1:09. I needless to say lost a lot of ground on the last 5.5 miles. :( Chris was wonderful - he made it look easy but he was there to support me the entire way. He was there to push me which I needed but was there as support when I needed it. It was my second time running with someone but not someone who has been there to do nothing but to support me. At mile 10/11 he stopped to fill a bottle that he was carrying to fill with Gatorade since the water stops were not consistent and happened to also stop and grab Tylenol at the aid stop. Took that and battled through. Pushed across the line for a 4 minute PR.

  • RACE DAY: Chicago Monster Dash Half Marathon
  • Walking
  • 40m

Nice easy walk watching nephew play football, then around the expo and then downtown Chicago.

SO... everything was going great up through the race until today. Went downtown and picked up my friend Chris from the airport who came in from AK to do the race with me. Came back to my sisters house to grab things on the way to watch my nephew Ben play pop warner football. Had my camera, a bag of things for Ben and my sisters camera in my hand when I went out through the garage to get in the car. As I turned to hit the garage opener, I managed to miss the bottom step. Right knee hit cement garage floor and left ankle turned under my leg. Was waiting for the pop and never heard it but couldn't get up. Chris helped me to the car and the ankle was not pleased at all. Biofreezed it a bit to see if that would help but it hurt to put on and off my socks. Drove the 30 min to Bens game and still couldn't put a whole lot of pressure on the ankle. Not really swollen but extremely pissed. Hobbled through the expo and a bit of slow walking downtown this evening, by the time I got back to the hotel, ankle was swollen up quite good. Elevated, iced, aleve in hopes that I could run tomorrow.

  • Walking
  • 40m

Took Laney (dog) for a walk. Nice afternoon to just go for a walk.

  • 20m 04s
  • 2.00 miles
  • 10m 01s /Mi

Last short run before the race. 48* and in the rain. Long sleeve lightweight jacket, tank, and skirt. Felt pretty good.

  • 29m 58s
  • 3.00 miles
  • 09m 59s /Mi

was to be slow. HA! 10:14/mile felt slow. Hope that is a good sign. Felt good. Low 50s and a bit windy but a good path.

Finished the walk with going back to get mom who was walking with my sister's dog Laney. Walked the last 1/4 of a mile back to the house with them. Legs felt good. Wore compression sleeves on both calves and biofreezed the quads. All good. No pain.

  • Walking
  • 30m

Airport walking

Off day. Compression sleeves on. Knee and Calf are complaining today. 6am flight to Chicago tomorrow. 4am wake up call.

spackard's Training Log

 October 2013 
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  
  • May's totals
  • April's totals
  • 2021 totals
  • 2020 totals