Swim
  • 1h 04m 57s
  • 3520.00 yards
  • 01m 51s /100 yards

Not terribly happy with my performance, but a good swim nonetheless. RR some time next week.

Bike
  • 20m
  • 4.34 miles
  • -----
Swim
  • 1h 20m
  • 3900.00 yards
  • -----

First time at the JFK pool in Somerville. It'll do.

Got in the last lane which was an empty 'Fast' lane. Figured that all the fast folks hate the one at the edge of the pool, so figured I'd be alone for a while. Well apparently, it doesn't just mean Fast, it also means "Teach your three young girls who can barely swim, have no swim caps or goggles so can't see where they're going how to swim here!" Great.

10 laps then stopped to switch goggles. Laps 11-150 were done NON-STOP, which at 3500yds would make it the longest consecutive swim I've ever done! The Masters 1hr swim I did earlier this year was the longest at 3360 yds, but this one beats that by just enough. Ok... well, it wasn't TOTALLY consecutive. I had to stop in the middle of the pool after hitting a little girl head on at laps 81, 91, and 103, but that was only for a second or two. She was just helping give me some nice OW washing machine practice :) Finished with a nice easy 6 laps alt breast and free.

In addition to the longest swim, I also somehow hit every single flip turn (save for a handful where I was scared of flipping into a 9 year old).

Here's a weird thing, though: my hands hurt! It felt like my fingers were swelling in the middle of the swim and now the joints in my fingers feel a bit achy. Anyone ever experience that after a long swim? Granted, I should expect SOMETHING to hurt after not swimming at all and getting in and doing 2+ miles... maybe I should just quit my bitching and be happy everything else feels ok. :P

All in all a great swim! (Guessed on the time.)

AM blog entry:
Got the email today with details for Wild Fish this Saturday.  Crap.  I've barely swam 3 times in the past 6 weeks, and I signed up for the 2miler.  Those three swims didn't even ADD UP to 2 miles!  Doh!  Gotta find a pool, and fast!

Run
  • 31m 09s
  • 2.69 miles
  • 11m 35s /Mi

Run-walk with orthotics in the @#$#heat! Haven't sweat this much in a long time. All I could think while running is that it better not be this hot during Cranberry, or I'll be in a world of pain... a DEHYDRATED PLANET OF PAIN to be more precise... by the time it's over.

Anyway, orthotics are ok - a little strange and will prob take some getting used to. Feels like I've got a blister brewing on the left foot under the pad of the 5th toe which is weird- never had that before.

Sport #1
  • Walking
  • 25m

Walking to work and then home with the orthotics. Still don't feel particularly different in my good sneaks than they used to. I should get out for a run in them if it's not too hot later.

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 25m

Walking to work and then home with the orthotics. Still don't feel particularly different in my good sneaks than they used to. I should get out for a run in them if it's not too hot later.

Sport #1
  • Walking
  • 30m

Brisk walk from doc's to my office in Karhus+orthotics. So far so good. My only initial concern is that they're very smooth and not breathable like the squishier foam insoles that come with running shoes-- I wonder if they're gonna make me blister-prone.

... did some mall walking with Jonah being his sherpa while he shopped for work clothes. Good workout carrying around a full backpack and a laptop bag. Even after that, I'm not feeling like this whole "breaking in" of the orthotics is really necessary.

Sport #2
  • Walking
  • 45m

Brisk walk from doc's to my office in Karhus+orthotics. So far so good. My only initial concern is that they're very smooth and not breathable like the squishier foam insoles that come with running shoes-- I wonder if they're gonna make me blister-prone.

... did some mall walking with Jonah being his sherpa while he shopped for work clothes. Good workout carrying around a full backpack and a laptop bag. Even after that, I'm not feeling like this whole "breaking in" of the orthotics is really necessary.

Swim
  • 20m
  • 1000.00 yards
  • -----

Nahant Beach swim.

Swam with the wetsuit to see if I wanted to bother with it for Wild Fish next weekend. Again, I feel so restricted with it on! After taking it off, swimming felt so much better, my arm turnover was much more fluid and much higher stroke rate. Def ditching it no matter how cold Collins Cove is next week.

But, oh boy, do I need to get my butt swimming again before Saturday!!

Time and distance is a guess.

I get my orthotics tomorrow - VERY EXCITED since I really need to get running ASAP... I'm afraid that at this rate I won't be very prepared for this oly!  I hope it doesn't take all that long to adjust to them.

running4beer's Training Log

August 2009 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31     

Time
Distance