Run
  • 51m 14s
  • 6.25 miles
  • 06m 47s /Mi

Later...
Ran for another 1/2 an hour tonight, and it was absolutely beautiful out. I ran in my shirt and shorts, and don't know or care how far or fast I went, but it wasn't too much of either.
I did have some moments of clarity out there tonight.
As I ran through the delicious smells of charcoal briquettes burning and campfires being lit, watching the sun turn into a tiny orange disc sinking into a bright pink sky, I just overwhealmingly thought of how beautiful this world and this life is.
Also, how terribly short our time is here. I realized more so tonight than I think any other night of my entire life that there is no time to hang on to petty, stupid thoughts and feelings. Life is too short!
Live, love, but most of all: BE HAPPY! Enjoy your life. If you're not having fun, take some steps to get there. You have to live this life for yourself, and you only get one crack at it. Do not spend it foolishly hanging on to anger, frustration, or saddness. These should be fleeting emotions.
I believe that there is a place/person/thing for everyone, and if you're with or at the wrong one, move on. By taking steps to make yourself happy, everyone you love will be happier in turn.

Anyways, that is my diatribe for the night. It was longer, but I didn't want to bore anyone with the details of my life. You're welcome!
The moral of my story of course is go and find your thing and enjoy it. Savour every day. Love, and be loved. It seems so simple, yet I forget how precious life is every day. I'm going to make a point of never forgetting it again.
Good night everyone.
---------------------------------------------------------

Race Day: 5k Victims of Violence - for Lisa, Jayden, Marleigh, and Kristen

Well, I made a new PR today for you K. The wind was blowing like crazy and of course I was hammering into it on the back 1/2, but I put everything I had into this one. It was a race of 1, and I managed to win the whole thing. Next year when I hopefully have some more time, I'll have to look into running a real one of these, but I was determined to get in my 5k for you today no matter what.

Sport
  • Golf
  • 1h 30m

Hooooray! Golf season officially begins today!
Hit a few buckets of balls at the driving range.

I'm a Star (again) - My Next 5 Minutes

Some of the golf courses opened in Winnipeg today, which is really early by Manitoba standards. I grabbed my old man tonight and we scooted down to the driving range to bang out a few buckets of balls. The winds were gusting over 80km/h (around 60mph) from the south, and Blumberg's got a North facing driving range. Suffice to say, I was AWESOME. ;) Smacked the brand new clubs for the 1st time ever and they felt pretty good!
Anyways, Channel 5 News (CTV) was at the same course, and old John Sodder-something was giving his weather shpiel at the tees while my pappy and I were swinging our clubs. When they went to commercial, Johnny came over and said he wanted to talk  on camera to a  couple of golfers, so of course I smart-assed him and told him he'd better keep looking. Anyways, to make a long story even longer, I was LIVE on the channel 5 news tonight talking about how lovely it was that the golf courses were open so early, and blah blah blah. I think they even filmed me smacking a drive (which I didn't even duff!).
Looks like I'm up to 10 minutes now! 

Now, all I've got to do with my new-found fame is convince someone to run my 80 minutes for me tonight!

Meetings from 8:30 this morning til 2:30, which unfortunately is two and  a 1/2 hours AFTER my treadmill time. Not sure if I'll be able to get in much of a run tonight, but I'll give it a go.
Run
  • 29m 12s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 09m 22s /Mi

Legs were sore tonight, so I jogged nice and slow tonight and admired the almost-cloudless prairie sky. It was so crowded with stars it was difficult to pick out the constellations, but managed to spot a few of my favorites.
In a way, it was kind of sad watching my old friend Orion sink under the Western sky. When you live this far north, I guess you really get used to winter, and once Orion heads for Australia, you can generally assume spring is here. That, and it went up to 18 degrees today! :) Golf courses are supposed to be opening tomorrow!

Oops, forgot that I did my 6x100 metre strides at the end, too.

So, I'm in a bit of a quandry.

My friend Darren and I have been training together and plan to run together on Marathon day. We (mostly he) chose the Ultimate Marathon Training Plan - Intermediate level from the Runners World website. The intermediate plan is pretty tough, and is recommended for people who have much more running experience than either of us have, but we thought we'd try it out since we like to push ourselves. Here comes the problem: last week, Darren hurts his leg. This week it doesn't seem to be much better; he thinks it's shin splints but isn't 100% sure. He's going to take another week off and try it again. What he is thinking is that he may drop down to the beginners program. My problem is, do I join him or stay the course? The intermediate is challenging but do-able for me, so far. My biggest problem with it right now is that I've outgrown my lunch-hour workouts and have to start splitting workouts in two. If I dropped back to the beginner, I think I'd be good to go at lunch for quite a while longer. I'm just concerned that I will blow all the gains I've made out my arse. Meanwhile, I really want to run with Darren on race day, and enjoy training with him... we know we can both go about the same speed currently. That will probably change if one of us shifts programs.

I don't know. Some thought is required.

• Health data: Stress: 2 Soreness: 2 Fatigue: 2 Overall Workout: 4
Run
  • 1h 31m 33s
  • 10.25 miles
  • 08m 56s /Mi

TAcked on another 5k tonight with my hound dog in tow, or should I say, me in tow behind my hound dog. Ran the first 2 at tempo (about 8:20s), then tried to slow it down for a nice easy homecoming, at least until BJ caught the scent of a rabbit and went banannas. That was an interesting 1/4 mile!
----------------------------------------------------
7ish miles today... maybe a little more.
I've gotta update my plan for this week. Was supposed to to 2 miles pace, 2x2 miles tempo, 3 miles pace.
didn't do this, of course. Just don;t have the time at lunch, so I'm going to try to weasel in another run tonight, I guess.
I ran 2.5 slow with Wendi (-edit- Wendi from my work, NOT BT-Wendi), then ran the next 2.5 pretty quick, then did the last 2 at probably around race pace-ish.. maybe a little slower. It was windy like crazy out there today, but I still managed to take about 30 seconds off the back split heading into the wind. That's kind of nice.

Run
  • 1h 27m 19s
  • 10.00 miles
  • 08m 44s /Mi

Finally got out for my run. Not a bad one... as seesms to be my new standard, came out of the blocks hurting, and didn't really get into it until after mile 2 or so.
Split time was 44:47, so I managed to shave a couple off the back half, at least.
Just felt good to get out there and run again. I HATE it when I fall off the running wagon for a few days. It's so easy to slip into inactivity.
Great smells out there tonight. A few families bbq-ing, a few families bonfiring. I love Spring before the cowshit starts thawing.

Baby's barfing.. wife's barfing. Will I ever run again?

Shrike's Training Log

April 2005 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Time
Distance