Rest day! Tonight is the long awaited birthday/new job dinner with my Giraffe. We're doing Sweetwater Tavern, and I'm looking forward to it. And this is a four day work week! Lots of good things today.

• Calories out: 1737 From lifestyle:1737, From activities:0
Run
  • 29m 53s
  • 3.15 miles
  • 09m 30s /Mi

Freedom 5k. Lots of fun, race report is up!

___
Hope everyone in the US is having a safe and happy Fourth of July!

• Calories out: 2034 From lifestyle:1729, From activities:305
Bike
  • 1h 47m 02s
  • 27.30 miles
  • 15.30 Mi/hr

Raining when I woke up, and with a race tomorrow I didn't want to push too hard. Trainer it is, keeping it aerobic.
10' warm up at 75% LT
30' at 75%
30' at 80%
30' at 85%
7' at 65%

Took in: two bottles nuun, one cereal bar, one honey stinger waffle, and two episodes of Doctor Who. It felt a lot easier than I'm used to, which was kind of nice. So many hills around here, I feel like my HR is constantly in the red zone when I ride outside.

• Calories out: 2701 From lifestyle:1708, From activities:993
Bike #1
  • 22m 04s
  • 3.81 miles
  • 10.36 Mi/hr

Got the bright idea to ride Peggy out to the Farmer's Market before it opened, lock her up, and do my long run out on the W&OD.

Run
  • 53m 03s
  • 4.13 miles
  • 12m 51s /Mi

Sunny and breezy, such a lovely day. I do wish I had a handheld bottle, as this was quite a ways to go without water, and I couldn't see any readily apparent water fountains on the W&OD. I headed out toward Arlington. The flat nature of the trail (rail conversion) meant I kept my HR in Zone 2 without ever having to walk. My lower back on the right side started to feel a bit tired/achy in the last mile. Nothing really bad, just....tired. That is the side where my hip has been bothering me a bit.
I misjudged the whole, ride bike, run, etc adventure, timewise. My stomach started growling pretty hard as I was making my way back, and I had no food on me. Fortunately, the Farmer's Market was opening up, and the samples were plentiful. So many wonderful tomatoes!

Bike #2
  • 25m 05s
  • 3.81 miles
  • 9.11 Mi/hr

Who's stupid idea was it to go for a run, so I'm starving, buy a bunch of heavy produce and eggs, then have to haul it all back home....uphill?! Still, I'm totally doing this again. Fun! I just need to plan for food and drink a bit better.

• Calories out: 2319 From lifestyle:1710, From activities:610
Swim
  • 58m 05s
  • 1828.80 meters
  • 03m 10s /100 meters

4x200 :60 (150 swim, 50 kick)
4x50 :45 (odds kick, evens sailboat)
4x50 :45 (odds one arm, evens 6/3/6)
4x50 :30 descending
8x50 :30 (odds sprint, evens easy)
200 cool down

Finally Friday, and yet another swim with really long rests. The descending and sprint/easy were both written with :60 rest, but I really didn't want to spend that much time at the side, so I made it :30.
Descending 50s went well: 59.3, 56.2, 53.1, 49.2. The sprints had me working, but I really liked having an easy 50 between. I was able to refocus my form, and then carry that into the next sprint. I managed TWO 48.2s in my sprint, so that feels pretty good.
Back in my old Vanquishers, and while they really dig into my eye sockets, and fog a bit, they don't leak or come off. Finding goggles that fit is harder than finding a bra that fits.

___
J's background check cleared, and he officially starts on July 11th! This has been a long and stressful few months, and I'm so SO looking forward to being a two income household again. They say money can't buy happiness, and while that's true....it can buy rent and food. :)

• Calories out: 2106 From lifestyle:1727, From activities:379
Run
  • 42m 48s
  • 3.21 miles
  • 13m 20s /Mi

So nice out. Sunny, low 60s, and not humid. I could do with more runs like this! My shorts were a bit of a mess...I dragged out some regular running shorts with pockets to see how I liked them. They rode up the entire time, and I remember now why these were banned to the back of the drawer. Back to my chafe free compression shorts.

Strength
  • 45m

1/4 mile walk warm up
ankle/foot routine
pedestal 1
myrtls
1/4 mile walk cool down

The ankle/foot routine isn't easy, but it is getting easier. I had some issues during the back planks with my elbow sliding out from under me. It felt like the mat was sticky....and I really didn't want to think about that too much. Ew.
Myrtls also starting to be routing and feeling more comfortable. Next week the routing moves to the next level!

• Calories out: 2242 From lifestyle:1713, From activities:529
Swim
  • 1h 07m 27s
  • 2286.00 meters
  • 02m 57s /100 meters

3x300 :60 (some BR, some back, some pull)
4x50 :30 drill (catchup, Tarzan)
4x100 :45 (breathe 3/5/3/5 by 25)
3x [100 swim strong:20, 50 kick hard :20, 50 EZ swim :60]
3x100 :30 (swim/kick by 50)
100 cool down

Okay, so I'm going to need to start getting to the pool earlier. Now that my workouts are heading towards 1:10 timeframe, I need to get IN the water at 7am, rather than pull into the parking lot then. By the time I walk in, check in, get through the locker room, etc...the minutes just add up.
I still don't know about the R1s. The visibility is so nice, and I want them to work so badly because of that. But I just don't think they suit my face. I didn't have any leaking today, but because they don't have an adjustable nose bridge, they just aren't quite the right width, so things aren't sitting as nicely as I like.
Also...I barely remember anything else about this workout. That's a bad sign, when you think more about the equipment than the technique or effort. :(

Bike
  • 1h 00m 07s
  • 17.88 miles
  • 17.85 Mi/hr

On a whim, I decided to try to do a trainer LT test. I wasn't feeling confident about my cycling zones, and now that I have more structured workouts, I wanted to make sure I was doing them to the best of my ability.
I don't think I was as successful with the cycling LT test as compared to my running one. Maybe I'm not as good at pacing myself, or even pushing myself. At the end of my run test, I felt completely spent. With this cycling test, I feel like I could have kept going a little longer. Even so, I'm glad I did this. Looking forward to doing another in about six weeks, and hopefully being better at it.

__
Still waiting to hear about the background check for J. He actually passed the internal one already, and now they're doing the external one. He has a provisional start date with them, but I'm not counting any chicken yet.

• Calories out: 2810 From lifestyle:1702, From activities:1108

Atlantia's Training Log

July 2016 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Time
Distance
  • August's totals