• -----

Warm-up:
200 swim easy,
4 x 50 as scull drill- swim :15
200 kick
4 x 50 as long dog- swim :15

Mainset:
All aerobic—easy breathing.

Set #1: 3 x 200 (10 sec rest between 200s) moderate, descending.
Rest 2 minutes.
Set #2: Swim 300 easy.
Set #3: 6 x 50 relaxed speed (15 sec).

Cool down: 100 easy swim.

More that a year ago, Kevin was complaining about his watch. He has a Fenix 3 and he said something about how he really liked it a lot *but* the distances seemed to be off by quite a bit for his mountain bike rides. I said that he needed a speed sensor. He poo-pooed that idea. I got him a speed sensor for his birthday and even installed it on his Yeti 650b for him. I gave him instructions on pairing it.

Fast forward to this week. I had the 20% off thing from Clever Training. I didn't need anything and asked him if he needed any bike gear. "I really need a speed sensor for my Santa Cruise (29er)." So, I'm guessing that solved his problem? 

Run
  • 49m 22s
  • 5.03 miles
  • 09m 49s /Mi

Hillcrest-Peakway (long) route

My instructions today were: Run on a flat to gently rolling course. Get at least 70% of run time with a comfortably low effort/ HR. Avoid zone 3-5 heart rates.

I was moderately successful. Even though I set my watch to alarm me when I got above Z2 HR, I still barely brought it in over 70% in Z2. Stupid hills.

Strength
  • 51m

Strength stuff

√ Strength stuff tonight.

I'm sure that everyone here on BT has a favorite smoothie. In case you are looking for ideas, I thought this Smooth Builder was interesting. This includes some sample recipes for Post-Workout Tropical Green Smoothie and Post-Workout Pina Colada Smoothie and links a few meal replacement smoothies like Blueberry Muffin Batter Smoothie and  Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie.

FWIW, my favorite is

vanilla almond milk (unsweetened)
chocolate protein powder
frozen banana slices (must be frozen ahead of time since they are the "ice")
espresso powder.

I love to have this after very long bike rides.

Swim
  • 59m 37s
  • 2515.31 yards
  • -----

So...

I went to the Y as usual and went to the pool door and it was locked and there were already a few people waiting to get in. We were there before the pool is supposed to open -- they normally let us in but we cannot get into the water until there are life guards. In fact, I have never not been able to get into the pool area. We were all perplexed. 5:30 came and went and someone went up to the desk to see what was going on. No one had picked up the key which means not life guards. Ugh! So much for a relaxed morning due to a shorter swim.

I gathered my stuff and drove over to Pullen. Pullen is set up long course now. Long course is fine but there are fewer lanes so more circle swimming.

Warm-up.
300 easy swimming
200 Kick with fins

Main Set
200/300/400*/300*/200
* paddle pull

Cool Down
300 as 6 x 50- 25 drill/25 swim : 10
100 paddle pull

I think the pool chemicals at Pullen bothered me. I felt quite nauseous by the end of the workout and I couldn't have breakfast until several hours later. I'm feeling better now.

P.S. Pullen will be closed for maintenance (new roof, etc.) June 9 - December 2018.

Sport
  • Foam rolling
  • 30m

Stretch and roll

I looked up the renovation plans for Pullen

History:

Pullen Aquatic Center is a 39,400 square foot facility that was built in 1991. The facility is in need of an extensive renovation.

Current activity:

The Pullen Aquatic Center Renovation project will include new roofing, skylight replacement, building envelope and structural repair, replacement of natatorium lighting, diving board replacement, replacement of HVAC units, pool gutter system replacement and the addition of a natatorium dehumidification system. The renovation will close Pullen Aquatic Center from June 9 through Dec. 9.

The bad news is, the showers/locker rooms are not being addressed :-(

Lots of cr*p to get done after work

• Car inspection
  • Grocery getting (aka Hunting and Gathering)
  • Packet pickup for Jummy V ride
  • assigned foam rolling

Bike
  • 1h 00m 11s
  • 16.10 miles
  • 16.05 Mi/hr

Easy ride to test things out. So far so good!

Bike fit today followed by and easy ride to test things out.

UPDATE:

• Adjusted cleats on two pair of shoes
  • Pearl Izumi insoles in the new pair of shoes (will post link, these things rock!)
  • Changed stem to 90mm/+ -17 D (was 7 degrees)
  • Adjusted saddle backward (kept height)

He also took off my race wheels and put the others back on.

jmkizer's Training Log

May 2018 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
  • Race 13.1 Raleigh - Spring (Run)
    6/2/2018 Raleigh, North Carolina
  • Lake Logan Half (Triathlon)
    8/4/2018 Canton, North Carolina
  • White Lake Fall International Triathlon (Triathlon)
    9/8/2018 Elizabethtown, North Carolina
  • May's totals
  • April's totals
  • 2018 totals
  • 2017 totals