Run #2
  • 1h 28m 17s
  • 9.14 miles
  • 09m 40s /Mi

Run
  • 20m 23s
  • 2.13 miles
  • 09m 34s /Mi

Zoe and I ran this morning. I failed to confirm that the watch uploaded. I'll deal with it later.  We went 2.1 miles. 

This evening I have a short (30-45 minutes) cross training thing. I plan to ride on Zwift.

Dr. Pepper sign in downtown Roanoke

Another Roanoke picture. 

Run #1
  • 15m 01s
  • 1.50 miles
  • 10m 01s /Mi
Run #2
  • 17m 29s
  • 2.00 miles
  • 08m 45s /Mi
Run #3
  • 22m 11s
  • 2.50 miles
  • 08m 53s /Mi
Run #4
  • 22m 16s
  • 2.50 miles
  • 08m 55s /Mi
Run #5
  • 09m 40s
  • 1.01 miles
  • 09m 34s /Mi

This was a treadmill run. I broke up the workout into segments so I wasn't kicked off the machine mid interval.  Warm up, 2 miles at M pace - 30 seconds, half mile recovery, 2 mile interval, half mile recovery, 2 mile interval, cool down.  9.5 miles total. I took the totals from the footpod rather than the TM.

A couple of you have asked about Roanoke.  Here's the scoop.

I had a good time. We stayed right downtown and that was nice. I was a little bit skeptical when we got into town on Thursday. The wineries we stopped at en route were fun, for sure but the town itself was pretty dead when we got there. I think that part of the issue was that the person at the hotel's front desk gave us a map and said to go over there for dinner but really, the restaurants right by the hotel were better options for us. At any rate, my opinion changed a lot when I went running. They have really invested in their greenways and it shows!

I'm not sure that Kevin was not as impressed with the mountain biking but the beer was good. (and we may have "earned" a Viginia Blue Ridge Cheers Trail shirt).

I think that the issue may have been the shale in Carvins Cove. He's just not used to it plus it cut him his legs. Also, the trails system may have been oversold. They *advertise* 60 miles of trail but we read elsewhere 30 miles and when you add up the trails it's closer to 30 so Kevin was a bit disappointed. He did not try Mill Mountain or any other trail system there.

Right now, he prefers DuPont and Pisgah in Brevard and Warrior Creek near Wilkesboro. That being said, Roanoke took 3:02 from door-to-door with a 5 minute stop included (I clocked the trip home and hit the lap button for the stop). That makes Roanoke quite a bit closer than Brevard.

Regarding potential race recon, I think that the split transition may be a PitA. The swim is at Carvins Cove which is 20-30 minutes from downtown and the rumored T2 location is on the greenway with not a lot of roads to it. Also, hotels are not near either T1 or T2. Kevin prefers not to drive me on race morning.

Botetourt county, home of the bike course.  Not flat.  This view was from Ballast Point Brewing in Daleville.

Run #1
  • 07m 40s
  • 0.80 miles
  • -----

Missing miles. It helps to actually start your watch.

Run #2
  • 50m 29s
  • 5.32 miles
  • 09m 29s /Mi
Strength
  • 18m

Travel day. We were going to go riding -- just spin things out along the river -- but decided against getting sweaty prior to our three hour drive. 

Run
  • 1h 58m 45s
  • 12.02 miles
  • 09m 53s /Mi

Another hotel run. I wanted to go farther than yesterday but kept the distance relatively undefined. After I passed the point that I turned around on Friday, I quickly ran out of shade. When I got to the six mile mark, I saw the turn off for the Mill Mountain trails and decided that was a good a marker as any and turn around.

Once again, I found the greenway to be very pleasant.

Run
  • 1h 38m 26s
  • 10.12 miles
  • 09m 44s /Mi

Hotel run -- I did this run while Kevin was riding in Carvins Cove riding. I left right from the hotel through town and then along the Roanoke River Greenway. The greenway is very nice. Lots of parks, plenty of shade, well used without being crowded -- runners, walkers, cyclists on WalMart bikes, cyclists on Cervelos and other fancy road bikes, people fishing in the river, etc.

View of Roanoke River from the greenway

jmkizer's Training Log

August 2019 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Time
Distance
  • St. George Marathon (Run)