Run #1
  • 09m 37s
  • 1.01 miles
  • 09m 31s /Mi

Pre race warm up with strides and some dynamic stuff followed by Potty Like a Rock Star. Too much info?

Run #2
  • 1h 49m 07s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 08m 19s /Mi

Rock 'n' Roll Raleigh half marathon. PR, baby!

Run
  • 30m 55s
  • 3.26 miles
  • 09m 29s /Mi

Easy downtown loop with 3 x 30 seconds strides.

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 10m

Pre run stretching: pigeon, prone quad stretch, thread the needle, knee pushups with protraction of shoulder blades (30), plank (70), seated spinal twist (2x), butterfly pose groin stretch, dynamic stuff, ab wheel (8)

I thought that I did so well at the expo yesterday, coming home with no new gear.  Well... this morning I find myself online shopping for stuff that I didn't buy yesterday!  =:-o

Strength
  • 40m

TRX and PT

- Physio Ball
** Ys (2x15)
** 90/90s (2x15)

- Superband stretches

- TRX
** Squat to press (3 x 10)
** Chest press (3 x 10)
** Knee tucks (3 x 5)
** Single arm row (3 x 10)
** Fly (3 x 10)
** Row (3 x 10)
** Tri kick (3 x 10)
- Lat pull down with resistance band (2 x 12)

- short stair seated balloon (paravertebral inhibition) and all four right arm reach (pelvis restoration repositioning), 5 sets each
- rolling on the Trigger Point ball
- calf raises (15)
- foam rolling

Sport
  • Walking
  • 30m

Walk with Emma. I showed her the route that I hope to run with her next Wednesday. If it's cool enough out, I plan to take her. I wanted to run with her this week but it was a bit warm out for her first brick. She has informed me numerous times in the past that she has a lot of fur!

√ Rest day and expo.  I'll probably do my TRX stuff tonight (instead of tomorrow) as well.

All checked in for RnR Raleigh.

Run
  • 30m 25s
  • 3.53 miles
  • 08m 37s /Mi

In the Thunderdome

Thursday morning rain run. It was loud and threatening but the train was actually not too bad. I thought the lightning had passed but when I got downtown FLASH-BOOM. That was too close for comfort!

Strength
  • 40m

TRX and PT

- Physio Ball
** Ys (2x15)
** 90/90s (2x15)

- Superband stretches

- TRX
** Chest press (3 x 10)
** Knee tucks (3 x 5)
** Fly (3 x 10)
** Row (3 x 10)
** Tri kick (3 x 10)

- short stair seated balloon (paravertebral inhibition) and all four right arm reach (pelvis restoration repositioning), 5 sets each
- calf raises (15)
- foam rolling

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 10m

Pre run stretching: pigeon, prone quad stretch, thread the needle, knee pushups with protraction of shoulder blades (30), plank (70), seated spinal twist (2x), butterfly pose groin stretch, dynamic stuff

Heard some thunder while I was doing this. I checked outside and the driveway was dry. I checked the radar and the storm cell had passed.

Bike
  • 47m 59s
  • 14.67 miles
  • 18.34 Mi/hr

New Hill Post Office on the tri bike! Fun ride! First tri bike ride since September. Tried out the new Profile Design HC setup. Need to make some adjustments (move it a bit towards the stem, figure out bike computer placement) but overall, good.

Run
  • 18m 26s
  • 2.03 miles
  • 09m 05s /Mi

Neighborhood brick run

I spoke with Manuel from masters and he isn't actually leaving.  Laura who coaches on Mondays is leaving and Manuel is moving to Monday.  The end result is the same for me though, new person on deck on Thursdays.

Swim
  • 57m 18s
  • 2600.00 yards
  • -----

Masters swim
300 swim
400 SKPS
4 x 150 build
4 x 50 kick
4 x 100 build
4 x 75 kick
2 x 200 build
= 2600 yards

Poop. I just got word that our Thursday swim coach, Manuel, is leaving. I hate that!

Run
  • 26m 43s
  • 3.20 miles
  • 08m 21s /Mi

Meredith College roundabout

run 3 miles (z2) with mid mile @ race pace -- kinda overshot this one

Strength
  • 40m

TRX and PT

- Physio Ball
** Ys (2x15)
** 90/90s (2x15)

- Superband stretches

- TRX
** Chest press (3 x 10)
** Knee tucks (3 x 5)
** Fly (3 x 10)
** Row (3 x 10)
** Tri kick (3 x 10)

Sport
  • Stretching
  • 10m

Pre swim stretching: pigeon, prone quad stretch, thread the needle, knee pushups with protraction of shoulder blades (30), plank (70), seated spinal twist (2x), butterfly pose groin stretch, ab wheel (5)

Sport
  • Yoga
  • 1h 15m

Yin Yoga class

Cutting the Cord follow up

We cut the cord on February 28th and this is a one month follow up.

The good:  We like it.  It’s been almost totally painless. I thought that it would be difficult to know what was where but it hasn’t been a problem to know if something is on Sling or Netflix or Hulu or over-the-air any more than it is knowing that the 7 o’clock news is on channel 17 or that House of Cards is on Netflix.

The bad: We did have to reposition the antenna a few times.  It’s weird because all of our networks broadcast from the same location (you can check this at http://www.tvfool.com/) and only one network, CBS, gives us grief. 

Sling TV has been good.  We‘ve been pretty happy with the quality.  Admittedly, DirecTV did a better job with the sports, Sling dropped enough frames during the NCAA tournament coverage that we watched on TBS and TNT that it was noticeable.  Still, it was perfectly watchable. It was similar to the picture quality that we had with our U-verse experiment.  (A few years ago, we dropped U-verse and went back to DirecTV due to reliability issues.) 

As far as the Sling sports pack goes, I thought that Universal Sports would be good to have but I have found that we haven’t used it much.  Similarly, I thought beIN Sports would be good because they have the rights to a lot cycling events but as it turns out, they are more about rugby and soccer and I have seen absolutely no cycling on that channel.  In fact, I’m not sure that we’ve watched a single thing on that channel.  (Sling’s Sports Extra package includes ESPN U, SEC network,  ESPN News, ESPN Bases Loaded, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Goal Line, beIN Sports, Universal Sports and Univision TDN.)  We may drop the sports package in the near future.  We’ll see how the Giro coverage is.

Hulu has been the surprise among the bunch.  I didn’t think that I’d like much at all and it has turned out to be winner so far.  The original idea was to use it to watch The Daily Show but we use it for a lot more than that. (Hulu Plus referral)  

I recently read The Future of TV is a la carte Shows, not Channels which points out that people want shows and channels is just how people get them.  If you want to watch Game of Thrones, you need HBO (or wait for the DVD to come out months later). The article uses AMC as an example and shows how if you think of AMC as a content producer rather than a content provider, they could still be quite profitable.

I’ve heard cord cuters comment that when they stream via services (Netflix/Amazon/Hulu content), they are actively choosing what to watch. “Live TV” a la it’s-Monday-and-there’s-nothing-on is much more passive.  I tend to agree with that.

One thing is certain, it’s a rapidly changing entertainment landscape.  Live TV ratings were down 12.7 percent in January 2015 compared to January 2014.  Popular cable TV staples like ESPN and TNT are down 4-5% since 2010 when looking at the number of  households subscribed.  Total TV viewing has been falling consistently: 10% in the third quarter of 2014, 9% in the fourth quarter and 12% in the first quarter of 2015.  I’m not sure where things are heading but they are definitely changing.

I think the next step for me will be to move away from “appointment television” and “television as background.”  That may be a more difficult change for me.

jmkizer's Training Log

April 2015 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30  

Time
Distance
  • Ironman 70.3 Chattanooga (Triathlon)
    5/17/2020 Chattanooga, Tennessee