Rest day!

Fingers crossed from some good riding weather this weekend!

Run
  • 41m 47s
  • 4.27 miles
  • 09m 47s /Mi
Sport #1
  • Strength
  • 45m 06s

Coach Parry
Turkish Get Up
Straight leg deadlift
Glute bridge with hip flexion
Tempo squat (down 5, hold 3, up 1)
Single let hip drive
Opposite arm leg raise (with flat back)
Donkey kick + fire hydrant
Toe crunches

Sport #2
  • Yoga
  • 11m 05s

The first BWR NC route announcement was sent out today.

Wafer:
- 80.6mi/128.9km
- 7,923ft
- Unroad: 32.7mi (40%)
- 5 Feed Zones

Bike
  • 1h 31m 22s
  • 20.60 miles
  • 13.53 Mi/hr

Umstead gravel ride

All that's there are trees

For Christmas last year, I gave my mom a print from Amber Share who did the Subpar Parks book. The park is quite close my parents' house and they would sometimes get coffee and go there and enjoy nature.

Amber Share, the artist, took bad reviews of parks from Yelp or some such and juxtaposed them with beautiful views.  She's from NC so she has an NC State Parks series as well.  The Umstead bad review is "all that's there are trees" so my Dad goes there, he sends me pictures of the trees.  When I go there, I send him pictures of the trees. 

√ Ride tonight!

I finally got off my butt to see about my inner Canadian.  I was born in Newfoundland but I am a US citizen. I have an acquaintance from wayyyy back whose husband is an immigration attorney. I'm gonna explore what it will take to claim dual citizenship.

Bike #1
  • 1h 00m 49s
  • 19.60 miles
  • -----

Warm up and build to Z3
5 x 4min at 85-95%. Maintain a comfortable cadence (85-95 rpm). 2 min Rest between sets.
Some Z2 stuff and then a cool down.

Zwift - Watopia Figure 8 Reverse

Bike #2
  • 20m 11s
  • 7.12 miles
  • -----

Extended cool down in the form of a group ride.

Zwift - Group Ride: Team Valhalla Wake-up North America Ride (D) on R.G.V. in France

Massage tonight. The first one in forever. Before covid, I had an injury that I was rehabbing so I was using my self care dollars/time for PT.  During peak covid, continued with maintenance PT to keep things running smoothly. Then, my massage therapist of choice got a hospital job and only had like three slots per week so I could not see her. Then she quit massage therapy altogether so I finally got recommendations for a new person.

Bike
  • 1h 00m 27s
  • 21.17 miles
  • -----

Recovery ride

Run
  • 31m 16s
  • 3.21 miles
  • 09m 44s /Mi
Sport
  • Strength
  • 44m 31s

Coach Parry session: single leg squat, renegade push up, hip raise with ball squeeze, crunch,
single leg calf raise. side plank with leg lift and hip flexion

The fire in Pisgah National Forest that I mentioned last week is expected to be contained today.  Here's the summary?

PISGAH FOREST, NC (May 2, 2022) – Today firefighters expect to complete containment on the Barnett Branch Fire on the Pisgah National Forest off the Blue Ridge Parkway near the Pisgah Inn.

All roads closed due to fire activity have reopened but trail closures are still in effect for Barnett Branch Trail #618 above Yellow Gap Road, Buck Springs Trail #104, and Mountains to Sea Trail from Hwy 276 north to the Pisgah Inn.

The investigation into the cause of the 370-acre fire is ongoing but is suspected to be an abandoned campfire. Anyone causing such a fire, whether through negligence or carelessness, can be held liable for damages.

Bike
  • 3h 45m 27s
  • 64.04 miles
  • 17.04 Mi/hr

Raven Rock Ramble 100k ride

Bike
  • 2h 51m 51s
  • 50.68 miles
  • 17.69 Mi/hr

Links ride from Apex Nature Park

jmkizer's Training Log

May 2022