• 1h 00m
  • 19.80 miles
  • 19.80 Mi/hr

Z2 with a little time in Z3 trying outrun the rain! Saw 16 turkeys, 10 of which were probably <3 mos. old.

No workout this morning so I got a little extra sleep.  (a lot actually - almost 9 hours!)  Man it felt good to not wake up to the alarm at 0500.  Planning on spending an hour on the bike tonight and it sounds like it might be on the trainer if we get storms this evening. 

The forecast for Friday morning still looks dicey.  They have Ernesto in NC early Friday morning so I guess it's possible that I could get the bike ride in, but it's going to be close.  As irritating as this is, I can't complain too much because I can't even remember the last time I had a workout affected by the weather.

  • 48m 30s
  • 5.25 miles
  • 09m 14s /Mi

The humidity had to be approaching 100%. I felt like I couldn't get any oxygen out of the air it was so thick. Tough run.

  • 40m
  • 1750.00 yards
  • -----

Swim: Speed
300 wu. 5x50 (sprint 1st 25) - on 20" rest.

4 x .....
2x50 Z3 (15" rest)
1x100 Z3 (60" rest)
sprint 50 Z5 (15" rest)

200 cd.

I'm a really bad judge of how tough a swim workout is going to be just by looking at it on paper. Looking at this last night I was thinking what's the big deal about 50s and just a few 100s. The first time through was good, times were very good. The second one was tough but I kept the pace. The third and fourth were torture. How can that be on such short distances? It was that 50 sprint followed by only 15" rest that got me. I was wiped when I climbed out of the pool so I guess it was a good workout. I'm not putting my times assured that there were no negative splits today!

I'm getting a little worried about tropical storm Ernesto screwing up my key brick on Friday morning.  I'd rather have workout messed up than race day, but I feel like I need one more high quality brick to polish off my training and feel ready.  2.5 hours on the trainer doesn't sound like much fun.

  • 31m
  • 10.00 miles
  • 19.35 Mi/hr

Easy spin this morning.

  • 48m 49s
  • 16.00 miles
  • 19.67 Mi/hr

The plan was to ride then run this morning, but it was cloudy and really dark when I got up so I got the run in first. My legs just don't transition from run to bike well.

  • 43m 58s
  • 5.05 miles
  • 08m 43s /Mi

Z2. Watson Rd and the Heights. Pretty humid this morning, but HR was pretty low. Legs felt strong this morning.

Today's workouts weren't supposed to be together, but I had to get them in early because we're headed to Philadelphia to see The Lion King.  We're going up with my brother, his wife and it's a surprise for their 8 yr old daughter.  Should be a fun day!

Standard Saturday.  Got the crown moulding on the cabinets, built out the shelves in the pantry and cased out a bunch of doors.  We're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now. 
  • 50m
  • 2600.00 yards
  • -----

4x200 no warm up on :30 rest. (3:27,28,23,24)
500 at race pace. (8:43)
Rest 1'
6x200 at race pace with 30" rest. (3:25,27,27,25,27,24)
100 cd.

It took a lot of work to convince myself that swimming was better than sleeping this morning. Once I got in the water I was ok, but I definitely felt fatigued throughout the swim. I'm pretty happy with the 200s all being under 3:30, but I'm not sure what happened on the 500. I really felt like I was lifting my head and losing balance when I breathed to the left this morning. I've really got to work on that.

  • 2h 11m
  • 14.10 miles
  • 09m 17s /Mi

Managed to drag my butt out of bed early this morning and got on the road by 0430. It was a lot darker than I thought it would be. I ran Coon Box, Spaniard Neck, Northbrook and 2 loops around the Heights. There was a 2 mile stretch on Coon Box Rd. where there were tall trees on both side of the road and it was so dark I couldn't even see the yellow line in the middle of the road...I was just feeling my way down the middle by finding the crown of the road. The only thing I was nervous about was encountering dogs when it's that dark - you just don't know what you're up against. Running in the dark is a very cool experience because all my senses are at full attention so I wasn't even thinking about running. Before I knew it the sky was starting to lighten up a little. Now for the most incredible part of the morning...seeing an albino whitetail fawn on Spaniard Neck Rd.! I had been spooking tons of deer all morning (even got a few good snorts out of a buck that was pissed when I scared all his ladies off - I snorted back at him and he ran off. What a sissy). Anyway, up ahead on the left side of the road I saw a small deer (still too dark to see much) trotting away from me with it's tail up. All of the sudden, when it turned broadside to get a look at me, it lit up like a neon sign. It was unbelievable how white it was. He skirted off about 5 feet inside the treeline and stood there watching me as I ran by. He probably thought he was camoflaged, but he was snow white head to hoof. What a beautiful animal and what an amazing experience at 5 in morning. It made my day. It was too dark to tell if he was a true albino, but there wasn't a spot of brown anywhere on the side that was turned to me. The rest of the run went great. I felt really strong until about the last 1.5 miles. I had kept my pace right around 9 minutes all morning at the checkpoints I know, but the last couple miles were pretty slow. This is my longest run ever, so I'm happy regardless of pace. What a great morning.

PS.  For everyone that's busting my chops about the chocolate donut....I was fueling up for my run this morning!  :)

Dtraining's Training Log

 August 2006 
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  
  • November's totals
  • October's totals
  • 2011 totals
  • 2010 totals