Saint Charles,IL 
Swim
  • 45m 21s
  • 2700.00 yards
  • 01m 41s /100 yards

OWS in Crystal Lake. The water today left quite a stench on my suit and hair. Not sure what's in the water, but it's positively smelly.

No wetsuit. If I can avoid it, I do.

Swam all around the lake, here and there... Mostly off course... nothing to sight off of, and I was ahead of everyone else. The sun was in my eyes on the way back, so I wove hither and yon thru the water.

Run
  • 31m 30s
  • 2.65 miles
  • 11m 53s /Mi

HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT

Used the Infinit "Whizzer" mix tonight. Orange flavored. Pretty good. More appealing than Heed. And much more appealing than Perpeteum.

Did the whole run/walk thing again tonight. This is how we build volume without hurting the Whizzzzzzzz. I'm fragile, you know. Knees...notsogood. Need to keep them intact thru IMWI 2009.

No small task.

What a day yesterday was. My heart breaks for Christine's family. Her boys. Her husband. I'm speechless. I'm saddened. How the world just goes on turning when all this stuff is happening is beyond me. I just don't get it. There's a plan in place, I believe that. But I don't get how we all play into it and why it has to seem so random. And how losing someone I've never met can hurt like it does.

In other news: Taetum is alright for the present moment. Her seizure cluster has been broken and she's pretty much back to herself. She's a little sedated, but that's to be expected... she's on a big dose of some heavy narcotics.

T home from the hospital, and dumpster.

Me and T. She still had her little vet bandage on... from where they gave her the IV Phenobarbital.

So happy she's home. Hope for no more seizures.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.75

Recovery Day!

Taetum stress, training stress, work stress. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK. I need a day to turn it all off. Unfortunately, I only get to turn off the workouts today. Frown

Taetum jumped up the 3 vertical feet to my bed, and waited for me while I was in the shower. I am amazed that she got up there on her own, as **I** sometimes have a problem getting into my own bed. And I'm not a geriatric dog. Well. Not in the literal sense, anyway. Surprised

This is Christine (our very own Lucy). She and her family really need your good vibes and love right now. She was recently diagnosed with a brain tumor or hemangioma, and things are not looking good at the present moment. Updates will be available HERE. Please check in.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.5
Bike
  • 3h 27m 38s
  • 57.42 miles
  • 16.59 Mi/hr

Windy! Again!

Am disappointed in the average speed. I felt surprisingly strong after yesterday's run, and thought my average speed would have been faster. Was able to ride the cross wind waves from time to time... but generally was just trying not to get blown into traffic.

I suppose one good (weather wise) ride is all I get per season, huh? The Udder Century was pretty close to ideal conditions. Everything else this year has been a windy, hilly, horrifying torture fest.

Garmin says 2,862.1 ft elevation gain.

*Sigh*... Poor sweet Taetum. 2 more seizures last night, and another one this morning after I left. It's so hard on her little body. I hope the meds kick in soon. Vet increased her dose of Phenobarbital... we're just waiting for it to work. 

"Woof!"

12:21 PM: If you have a chance, hop on over to Lucy's blog and leave her some love. She's had emergency neuro-surgery this morning... I believe the outcome was OK, but I don't know much. Check with SOCKS for updates, as she's local to Lucy's area... Let's help Lucy feel the love. ♥♥♥

10:18 PM: Taetum had several more seizures today. For a whopping total of like 8-9 in the past 24 hours. Not good. We took her to the Emergency Vet and they are keeping her overnight in order to pump her full of Valium and Phenobarbital to break this seizure cycle. The hard fact of the matter is that she probably has a brain tumor, (common in older dogs) and it's just a matter of time until it "wins". All the extra-cranial seizure sources have been ruled out, and we are left with the intra-cranial ones, which are are no fun at all. Of course, Taetum is Chris' girl, but I've grown awfully attached to her myself. *sigh*. We'll see what they say in the morning. Poo.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5
Run
  • 1h 45m
  • 8.94 miles
  • 11m 44s /Mi

Ran around Moraine Hills State Park. The positive of that place is a crushed limestone path, which is easier on the old joints. The negative of that place is the hilliness. It's hilly.

Garmin says 2,442.7 ft of elevation gain. That seems like a LOT. I don't know if that's correct or not, but it sure as heck felt hilly.

Here's a tip: Do not put your FUEL BELT on BEFORE spraying yourself with insect repellent. Perhaps it would be better to spray yourself first, and THEN put your FUEL BELT ON.

I wound up spraying all my fuel belt bottles with OFF! They all tasted disgusting. And God only knows what DEET will do to me after ingested.

Strength
  • 20m

Corework

Misc fitness ball this and that.
2 x 15 hip lifts off edge of steps
2 x 10 prone hip lifts
2 x 15 Around the world on balance plate.

Lousy sleep last night.

Taetum had another seizure, so that woke us up around 3 AM. Tried to get back to sleep, but waves of thundestorms came through one after the other and kept us awake. I got about 30 consecutive minutes of sleep between 3 am and 7:30 am. Poo.

Long run today. My first, over 1.5 hours this season...   Done! I'm glad that's over.

Swim
  • 1h 00m
  • 3062.12 yards
  • 01m 57s /100 yards

200 swim
200 kick
200 pull w/ paddles
200 IM (2 x 100)
400 swim
4 x 100 (swim/IM/swim/IM)
300 swim
3 x 100 (swim/pull/swim)
200 swim
2 x 100 (swim/kick)
100 swim
100 easy
---------
2800 Meters

Kept the 100's moderate, finishing around 1:43-1:45.

Felt pretty good in the water tonight. Surprising, because I've been a bit tired and strung out the past couple of days.

7:07 AM: I slept through Masters. On purpose. I got up and it was raining and storming outside... I thought about the long day I had yesterday and the longish day I was going to have today, and I opted for SLEEP. Got about 2 extra hours of sleep. I'll take it. Swim will have to happen tonight.

I got my bank account linked to PayPal and verified, so I was able to make the withdrawals to myself and to ALS today. Look at our BT donation HERE. Just awesome!

Now, for a happy picture. I will scour the archives looking for something to brighten your Friday... Please Stand By...

OK, so how's this: (Or perhaps the question is more like "What's this?" )

Here we have a Halloween exchange, 10/25/1990. Costume, obviously. (Well, I hope you can say obviously....) On the left, Whitney and Michelle were Playboy Bunnies, Tristan, on the right was a biker-chick. I was a McDonald's employee gone wrong. Can you see my McRib pin? Ketchup packets? The sign on my chest says "BURGER THING". Yes. I worked @ McDonalds in college. For 3 years. Yes I did.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.25
Run
  • 1h 02m 13s
  • 5.55 miles
  • 11m 13s /Mi

The most bizarre weather situation I've ever had the pleasure to run though.

I decided I'd give it a try outside since the thunderstorms looked like they were passing...

To my left, a pinkish, yellowish sky with the bright sun setting beneath a line of storm clouds.

Overhead, storm clouds and intermittent horizontal lightening. Very mild drizzle, and very breezy.

To my right, a huge double rainbow.

I got a little spooked from time to time when the lightening overhead would flash, but the drizzle and the breeze kept this nice and cool. The only issue was a pretty strong headwind on the return trip.

I haven't seen my splits yet. Used the electrical tape again.

Saw a family of deer standing in a cornfield. It was striking because they were backlit by the setting sun, which was just underneath the storm clouds. Very picturesque indeed.

Workout wise today I have: 20 minutes of corework and an hour run. Yippee.

In the photo flipper:

That's my foot (circa 1986) and my little puppy Penny. I brought her home on my bike for my 16th birthday. Some guy a couple of blocks over had this basset hound in his front yard. The dog got pregnant and he was stuck with 7 puppies. He just handed me one. And I took it. Rode home with one hand on the handlebars and one hand holding this squirming puppy. Told my parents it was for my birthday.

Unfortunately, Penny met an untimely demise as she was hit by a Commonwealth Edison truck on Christmas Eve, 1986. My whole family witnessed the event and it was awful. Wrecked Christmas. Commonwealth Edison sent a representative to our house THAT SAME DAY, and they promised to get us a new dog when we were ready. We did replace Penny, but it wasn't the same. Cry

*sigh*

Make sure you give your pets an extra hug today.

Yikes! I'm quite the downer. Have a great day, in spite of me.

4:17 PM: OMG. Busy. Busy. So very busy at work today. Gasp! Halp!

7:07 PM: I walked in the door just in time to avoid being swept up in a wicked thunderstorm. WOW. It is raining like a MO FO out there right now. And lightening. And thunder. We've had some serious weather this year. Am going to hold off on my run til I see how long this takes to pass... checking the radar now...

Hmmmmmpf. Well that doesn't look good. I live right under the red blob in CRYSTAL LAKE. Bah.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5
Bike
  • 1h 42m 37s
  • 29.16 miles
  • 17.05 Mi/hr

Beautiful morning for a bike ride. I had a hard time dragging my butt out of bed, but I was glad I did once I got out there. Not much wind, nice and sunny...

On the road by 5:45 AM on the bike. Yay! Absolutely beautiful morning. It's times like this morning that I'm grateful I've taken up this sport and I'm grateful I have the general ability to ride my bike. Gorgeous morning.

Today I bring you:

St. Patrick's Day 1996. Yes, I am holding 3 beers and a that's probably a hot dog wrapper in my hand. I'm also sporting a lively green shamrock sticker on my left cheek. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.
7:31 PM: WOW. People. You have donated $361.57 to cover baggyman's rent from CdA. This means I am reimbursed the $250.00 that he owes me, (((AND))) I can make a $111.57 donation to ALS in BT's name. I can't do anything with the funds until my bank gets itself linked to PayPal, ( I just set it up last night ) but as soon as I can, I'll make the withdrawals and this will be OVER. I'll post the update here in my log so you can see it. Thank you. Thank you. What an awesome and generous community we have here.

• Health data: Hours slept: 7

Whizzzzz's Training Log

July 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
Time