Saint Charles,IL 
Sport
  • Walking
  • 30m

Tromping around Chicago from the train station and back. In the rain. You should see my hair. The term "FRIZZBALL" comes to mind.

6:07 AM: Been up for about 20 minutes and I need a nap. Surprised

2:14 PM: Am home! What a waste of time! I dragged my ass all the way to the Daley Center only to be told the defendant didn't show up, and we were going to take a Non-Suit. AAARRRGGGHHHHH. To add insult to injury, I misread the train schedule and could have slept an extra hour or so this morning... I did get to walk around the city in the rain, though, so, you know that was a bonus. Tongue out Now I have to figure out how to hook up the Company computer to my home cable connection... and work for a moment or two. I placed 13/28 yesterday. A little better than upper 50%. My transition was 4:49. Jeez. Race Report to come. Eventually.
For your reading pleasure. Here is a teeny tiny RACE REPORT 

8:46 PM: Watching Intervention and CLEANING my house. There's stuff strewn everywhere. I can't handle it. 

Bike
  • 2h 42m 20s
  • 56.00 miles
  • 20.70 Mi/hr

About 3 minutes better than last year.

Swim
  • 30m 43s
  • 2111.99 yards
  • 01m 27s /100 yards

Hammered. It. Total time for a 1.2 mile swim (shortish, though) and a 56 mile bike ride = 3:17 & some change. No data from me or my bike. Pending official results. Had a wonky transition. Put my flip flops on instead of my bike shoes... (WTF?)

More later, as right now I'm exceptionally tired. And there's no relief in sight. Working from home tomorrow, but not before a 9:30 AM court appearance downtown. Which means a 7 AM train ride. Which means getting up EARLY again. Boo.

Run
  • 2h 02m 50s
  • 9.98 miles
  • 12m 19s /Mi

Nearly died of sweatiness, if that's possible. Ran @ MHSP and there were, as always, several large INSECTS circling my sweaty head for most of this run. It's distracting and gross. BLAH!

Really slowed down toward the end. Started with a bang, but ended with a whimper.

I'm tired.

Sport
  • Race Volunteering
  • 2h 30m
Presented myself at 4:45 AM for volunteer duty @ the LITH Triathlon. Weather was rainy and stormy, but the race went on anyway! Reminded me a bit of Pleasant Prairie last year. Now, I must change clothes, make my bottles, fill up my Fuel Belt and head off to Moraine for a 2 hour run. YaaaHooo.

Run
  • 33m 09s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 40s /Mi

BT Run for Rusher.

I have a Garmin file. I will upload it when I have a free moment. Like in October.

Done!

Today in the photo flipper:

August 29, 1996. My friend Sharon gave birth to her daughter MaryKate. She was about 4-5 hours old in this photo. I'd never held such a new baby before. The circle of life.

So apparently I've misread my training for the week. In the beginning of every week, I read the whole week, and then I get updates daily. So, when I read the week on Monday I saw a recovery day on Monday AND a recovery day on Friday (Hoooray!). My update today says Master's Swim. (and I've already slept through that.) GRRRRRR.

I'm not used to venturing outside of my plan... I feel a little guilty... and I don't want to tick off my coach...but I'm going to run the 5K tonight. VERY VERY easily. Some things are bigger and more important than my training plan.  I will not be breaking the 30 minute barrier though. And if running 3x in a row incapacitates me and is detrimental to my long term plan, maybe I don't belong in this sport to begin with.

Onto tomorrow! I will rise before the asscrack to volunteer at the LITH sprint, bodymarking @ 4:45 AM, and directing an intersection until about 7:30ish. Then, I will run for 2 hours, shower, gather myself and my stuff together, drive to Racine, check my bike, locate the expo, locate MissKelly et al, eat dinner at the Chancery with the BT gang, and promptly collapse into bed. I will awaken on Sunday and perform an Aquabike. And only after that, will I rest.  I feel the need for a nap after just writing about this weekend's activities.

• RACE DAY: Hit the Trails XC Classic
Run
  • 1h 06m 30s
  • 5.81 miles
  • 11m 27s /Mi

Oh! Misery.

I just don't like running. I'm not very good at it and it doesn't bring me joy. I don't know why I insist on slogging around day after day. I don't get it.

Edited to add: (splits aren't as bad as I thought they'd be... hmmmm, perhaps I'm bad at running, but not superbad at it. I suppose there's hope. It felt a lot slower and a lot worse)

Welcome to Thursday.

Work has been an endurance event all week. An exercise in mental and physical stamina. Am happy this week is almost over. It's been a long one. Onto the weekend! Tomorrow, that is.

Goodbye Christine.  And Godspeed.....

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.3
Bike
  • 1h 54m 23s
  • 35.04 miles
  • 18.38 Mi/hr

Now that's what I'm talking about. Windy again, but I decided that instead of feeling all sorry for myself for being stuck out on my bike in the wind, (again!!) I was going to muscle through and see how fast I could make myself go. Still had plenty of gas in the tank by the end, and the capacity to have gone harder, so this seems like good news for Sunday's Aquabike.

You can see in the LAP data where I turned into the wind. I lost 1 mph.

Nutrition = 3 Oreos before I left the house + 1.75 bottles of Infinit Whizzer. Heh. That makes me laugh.
----------------
It rained on me, but it ultimately stopped and I was treated to a very nice rainbow.

Thanks Christine!

7:29 AM. I slept through my bike ride. On purpose. *sigh*. Alarm went off at 4:40 AM and I said... Idonthinkso. Will have to ride 1:55 in Z3 tonight after work. In the heat. Oh well. The sleep felt great. It was worth it.

In the photo flipper today...

This was a year or so after I started working, circa 1994, and the dress code was still suits/dresses and nylons for the girls and jackets and ties for the guys. Mark, that clown behind me, was new to our office. He'd just moved back to Illinois from a short stint in Minnesota. Funny thing about Mark that we found out entirely by accident... he went to college with my bff Rachael and he kissed her on her sorority house steps after a dance. She ran inside and never came back out. Awesome. Nice rabbit ears.

He and I still work for the Company... everyone else has moved on.

• Health data: Hours slept: 9.5
Swim
  • 45m 21s
  • 2700.00 yards
  • 01m 41s /100 yards

OWS in Crystal Lake. The water today left quite a stench on my suit and hair. Not sure what's in the water, but it's positively smelly.

No wetsuit. If I can avoid it, I do.

Swam all around the lake, here and there... Mostly off course... nothing to sight off of, and I was ahead of everyone else. The sun was in my eyes on the way back, so I wove hither and yon thru the water.

Run
  • 31m 30s
  • 2.65 miles
  • 11m 53s /Mi

HOT HOT HOT HOT HOT

Used the Infinit "Whizzer" mix tonight. Orange flavored. Pretty good. More appealing than Heed. And much more appealing than Perpeteum.

Did the whole run/walk thing again tonight. This is how we build volume without hurting the Whizzzzzzzz. I'm fragile, you know. Knees...notsogood. Need to keep them intact thru IMWI 2009.

No small task.

What a day yesterday was. My heart breaks for Christine's family. Her boys. Her husband. I'm speechless. I'm saddened. How the world just goes on turning when all this stuff is happening is beyond me. I just don't get it. There's a plan in place, I believe that. But I don't get how we all play into it and why it has to seem so random. And how losing someone I've never met can hurt like it does.

In other news: Taetum is alright for the present moment. Her seizure cluster has been broken and she's pretty much back to herself. She's a little sedated, but that's to be expected... she's on a big dose of some heavy narcotics.

T home from the hospital, and dumpster.

Me and T. She still had her little vet bandage on... from where they gave her the IV Phenobarbital.

So happy she's home. Hope for no more seizures.

• Health data: Hours slept: 6.75

Whizzzzz's Training Log

July 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
   1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31  

Time
Distance
Time