Saint Charles,IL 

Back on track this week. Got a big run on Wednesday and a race on Sunday. Miscellaneous other runs and swims mixed throughout. Some core-work, too... but today, NADA!

A couple of photos of me and my family this weekend:

That's everyone, with my Mom in the middle and my sister and BIL on the right. Me and dumpy on the left.

Me, my Mom and sister.

Dumpster and me.

  • Health data: Hours slept: 8
  • 1h 21m 04s
  • 7.00 miles
  • 11m 35s /Mi

I overachieved by 1 minute and 4 seconds. I wanted to go an even "7" miles.

Beautiful day out there today. Not that much humidity or heat. Not many bugs either... and I ran in a park with plenty of places for them to nest and breed. (!!)

Crushed limestone path all the way around Lippold Park. I have to admit, I got sorta lost a couple of times, not knowing where the different "branches" of the path went. I wound up running through the parking lot like 3x.

AHR seems high, and that's not what it said on the actual Garmin device. Hmmmmmm.

Fixed it. It showed up correctly on Training Peaks, too... ??? Weird.

Recoverite + Ice bath = Awesome

I'm really sore and creaky. I feel like the Tin-Man, seizing up. Been sleeping like crap lately because my legs are uncomfortable. My body does not like all this rest. When you are old and arthritic like I am, I suspect it's best to keep things moving. Hmmmmmmmm. But then I don't get my mental break. And, of course, I need to RECOVER... so... I don't know. It's a conundrum.

At any rate, all the rest is over today with a 1:20 run. And then marathon training picks up again. Am also thinking of doing that 30K TT on Saturday with Chris. Laughing Need to talk to my coach.

10:36 PM: The men's 4 x 100 free relay just made me scream out loud and then cry a little bit! Yay! My cats (and neighbors) must think I'm nuts!

  • Health data: Hours slept: 10

I have a full Saturday REST DAY! Still in mental/physical recovery mode from Steelhead. I know I laugh about it, but Steelhead was quite a disappointment for me. Not the end of the world, but a disappointment nevertheless. The weekend itself was a blast, though, so I'm certainly glad I did the race. I just wish it would have been an actual triathlon. And despite all of the levity it has caused around here, I also wish I would have taken my visor off in T1. Seriously. Wink

Anyway, am going to spend my rest day today cleaning toilets/bathrooms/kitchen. And vacuuming all carpeted surfaces. And playing with Molly & Quentin. Maybe I'll do some laundry if the mood strikes. 

Then tonight is my family birthday dinner @ Wildfire with my sister and Mom and BIL and dumpster. 

Here are a couple of photos from last night...(Jana's party)

This is our Crystal Lake/LITH Healthbridge triathlon/Master's contingent.

Me, Katie and Trudy.

Me, Lisa, Jana and Katie.

  • 29m 31s
  • 2.54 miles
  • 11m 37s /Mi

Nice run today. Shoes felt good. Will wear these for long runs. Actually will probably just wear these all the time. I've always liked the Adrenalines. These felt decent.

Now! Off to work!

6:35 AM: Up early for a 30 minute run. My first since this weekend! Woooo Hoooo. Then Jana's party tonight. Laughing Was going to swim this morning, but decided I needed rest more than additional swimming. Jana is still going to be here on Tuesday for the OWS. Will do that instead. She leaves Tuesday night. OK! Here I go... with the Adrenaline 7's! I'll give a full report when I'm finished. (I liked them. There, is that complete enough?)

In the Photo Flipper Today:

A cheerleading photo! This was March of 1986 when our boys basketball team went to state. This was our squad, before the game @ the University of Illinois Assembly Hall. Rachael, Allison, Michelle and I were Sophomores on the Varsity squad that year. It was such a cool experience.
I fell in love with the U of I on that trip and decided I was going to go there. And I did. Laughing

  • 1h 11m 16s
  • 21.39 miles
  • 18.01 Mi/hr

I don't think I was quite as fast without my visor.

2 laps

1) 10.79 mi/ Avg sp = 17.0 mph
2) 10.6 mi/ Avg sp = 19.1 mph

No HRM today.

Supposed to be Z 1 & 2... was probably more like Z 1,2,3ish. Couldn't help myself. Felt like pushing a teeny tiny bit this evening.

So, I don't think I'm going to put together a whole race report for that Steelhead thing. What I will say is the following:

RUN #1: Should have been a swim. Not a great runner, so instead of coming out of the front of my wave in a swim, I was shot out the back of my wave and into the next two waves in this run. I tried hard, but not too hard, because I didn't want to use up all my energy. My legs have a finite number of strides in them on any given day. That's just the way it is. Avg = 11 min/miles. Not awful.

T1: Pretty fast. I was warmed up by this point and ran to my transition spot, and only did half the job, apparently. Exited T1 still wearing my running visor under my helmet, and with a 20 oz bottle of Infinit jammed down the back of my shorts. As I ran, it snuck down my right leg, until I had to reach all the way down my shorts and pick it out. (While wearing a visor and helmet, mind you.) I need one of those behind the seat bottle holders.

BIKE: Had myself photographed from every angle fighting with my visor. That's delightful. Finally pulled over and took it off. Chugged my shorts bottle (all 20 oz) in the first 40 minutes so I could ditch it by the first aid station. Peed in a porta potty. Averaged 19.5. Could have gone harder. Was working on pacing. Seemed to go OK. Would have liked to have been faster. Probably could have pushed it a little harder and still had a good run through mile 8. 

T2: Trix was waiting at my transition spot and she had to convince me to go out on the run. I was ready to just call it a stupid day. I finally agreed to go after much pouting on my part and cajoling on hers.  This was a slow transition. I didn't care.

RUN #2:  We laughed & harrassed other runners and had a great time through about mile 8. Then I started to get weepy and tired and irritated with myself. Trixie tried all of her trainer tricks and some of them worked while others made me hyperventilate. (Wink) Around mile 12ish I decided I REALLY didn't care anymore, so we walked most of the rest of the way. She peeled off right around the finish line. I crossed the line, got my medal from BAMBAM66 and sat down with a cold towel on my head. I vowed to never do another duathlon again.


  • 37m 27s
  • 1900.00 yards
  • 01m 58s /100 yards

In true Whizzzzzz fashion, I printed the workout at work and, of course, left it on the printer.

So I improvised. I remembered seeing parts of it...

200 easy swim
50 OK
50 index
50 pinkie
100 breast
150 fists & PB
4 x 300 (:10)
These I know for sure. However, they were supposed to be "light pace" I got all jacked up with energy and did them descending. Easy to the high end of medium.
1) 5:04
2) 5:00
3) 4:58
4) 4:52
50 breast
50 easy free

7:42 AM: Dinner with the girls was fun. I had the best ((BEST)) sesame seared tuna salad. I channeled my inner dumpster and selected something off of the menu that had lots of protein and a fairly high nutrient content because of all of the colorful vegetables... red peppers, yellow peppers, carrots, etc etc. I ate the whole thing and was so proud of myself for making such a healthy (and delicious) choice, I nearly broke my arm patting myself on the back. I left my camera in Rachael's van. She is going to upload and email me the photos we took. And I will probably have to stop by her house to pick up the camera sometime later this week.

Jana's (swim coach) going away party is Friday...and I'd like to have my camera for that.  Laughing
Cute photo from last night:

Me. Tall. Everyone else, normal sized.

Oh! Triathlon stuff... yes that's right. That's what I'm here for. I swim tonight. Stay tuned for that.

Click HERE for more hilarity. It was what it was. Hilarious, frustrating, and just sorta not my day. Tongue out

  • Health data: Hours slept: 7.5

7:20 AM: Up early to fold some laundry... and get ready for work. Work all day, then meet my HS girlfriends @ Champps in Lombard for some dinner and a birthday celebration for myself and Rachael. Kiss

I have a REST DAY today! Yay! 

The remainder of the week looks like this:

  • Wednesday --  Another short swim
  • Thursday     --  1:15 bike
  • Friday          --  :30 easy run
  • Saturday     --  REST DAY!!!
  • Sunday        -- 1:20 run.

That's the calm before the marathon storm. I'm considering doing Pleasant Prairie as a sprint next weekend. Just for fun. I'd like to have carefree race that goes according to "plan" at least once before this season is over. And it doesn't take much to planning to do a sprint, so I'm thinking that's going to be the ticket.


If Pleasant Prairie gets turned into a duathlon, the worst case scenario is a 3 mile run/12 mile bike/3 mile run. I can do that. Now I have a whole new angle to consider.... my races morphing into duathlons.

Whizzzzz's Training Log

 August 2008 
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
  • April's totals
  • March's totals
  • 2021 totals
  • 2020 totals