Run
  • 33m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 49s /Mi
Swim
  • 15m 15s
  • 820.21 yards
  • 01m 52s /100 yards

So, the objective for today's race was to have fun. No pressure. No expectations, just have fun. I think sometimes I succeed mostly in sucking the enjoyment straight out of racing.

No watches. No HRM. No speedometer. No Garmin. Nothing. No wetsuit either. The water was 74 degrees! 

Swim went fairly well, I think... I didn't lose track of any of the buoys while sighting, so that was good. I was trying to channel my inner Phelps, so I kicked a bit, and focused on having a long strong stroke. (I don't usually kick at all...) 

Bike felt fast. Or, let me say it felt EASIER. I am utterly convinced there is something wrong with my rear hub and whatever bearings are in that thing. I don't know much about bikes but I do know this regular Easton wheel was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY smoother and seemingly faster than anything I've ever ridden. I suspect my wheels are cheap and crappy. They look cool, though. Who knew? 

Run was alright. Since I was concentrating on having FUN, I didn't push myself too hard... My knees were weary from the week's activities already. I ran, I finished, and there you go. I have no idea what my final time was. I've checked online, but results are not posted yet. I'll update once I know for sure... right now I need a shower and a nap.

Missed seeing Laura (StartingToTri)... and I also missed jschmitchicago. Frown I did manage to meet up with Jessica (jniekrasz) Dave (Davewithzerosand1s), Crowny, Goggs, Maggyruth, Amyjo, and jowisc... as well as some others. A nice race. A nice short race. 

You know me, always with the photos... I only had my phone today:
Here's Taetum, upclose and personal.

Chris, always with the bike adjustments:

Chris, looking cute:

Me and Jessica (jniekrasz)

OK here are the results:

I believe this to be a sprint PR for me. (And the swim was longer than in Naperville, where I had my prior PR) mostly because of the bike. And mostly because of that awesome mismatched Easton wheel.

#3 bike split in my AG

#9 swim split in my AG

I'd rather not discuss my run ranking. Wink

234  1236 Laura Waringo  241058  38 F3539 F  167   15:15   77    1:45   64   36:20  216    1:59  516   33:37  5:25 1:28:54 1:28:54   
Finish Rank = 19/73 in AG & 234/640 overall, including guys. Not too terrible. My run was a blistering 33:37. Bah. I walked too much.

Bike
  • 1h 03m 52s
  • 18.56 miles
  • 17.44 Mi/hr

So I had my first roadside assistance issue of the year. Not bad, since it's already more than half way through August.

Was feeling great, averaging about 17.5 in Z2 getting ready to turn around and get myself a sweet tailwind, when I heard... "ping ka-lunk" and it became hard to pedal.

But I kept going... thinking I could somehow make it home... and I had to stop around 1/2 mile into my effort. I had two broken spokes on the back wheel.

Called Chris. (The resident SAG wagon) and he brought me a spare wheel. Put the spare wheel on.... and took off like lightening. Had a GREAT return trip. I think there is something wrong with my bearings too. Chris is running an 11 x 23 cassette, which I've been wanting to try... and I think I really like it. I really like this wheel, too. It's just a normal wheel... but it just seems so much smoother than mine!

Hauled ass the rest of the way home. Stopped at Katie's house to say hi cuz I saw her in the yard...
-----------
I rode the full 1:15 today, but I didn't hit "restart" after I pulled out of Katie's house... so I'm missing about 12-13 minutes and however many miles that is.

Wow! I just slept for 10.5 hours.

Had a great day yesterday. The weather was perfect... Chris and I went out for a VERY YUMMY dinner at our favorite local restaurant...(we have some history there...) and shared a bottle of Al-legader. (Heh) He gave me a certificate redeemable for a Mac computer. So now I will be able to sit on my couch, watch TV and chat with you all. Rather than cloistering myself up in the "office".  Laughing

Today I must move on with the business of being 38, and that includes a 1:15 Z1-2 bike ride... Then I have to get all my crap together to race tomorrow. It's just a sprint, so if I forget something... it's not the end of the world...(as long as it's not my shorts, I suppose...) and there's not all that nutrition to fret about.

The plan for tomorrow is... there is no plan. Just get out there and swim like a freak, bike like my pants are on fire and keep the legs moving at a good pace on the run. And see what happens. No watches. No speedometers. No wetsuit if I can avoid it. Nothing. Red-lining by RPE the whole time. If I don't feel like hell at the finish line, then I haven't done my job. We'll see how it goes.

• Health data: Hours slept: 10.5
Run
  • 45m 30s
  • 3.89 miles
  • 11m 42s /Mi

Happy Birthday to me.

This hurt. For as good as the joints and such were feeling yesterday, they hurt today with running. It's OK, though. I need to remember how to run on tired/achy legs.

This was an exercise in will power and leg fatigue.

Hoooooray! It's my BIRTHDAY! I'm 38 years old today. Holy Moly. When did that happen? Really.

38 years ago I was born...and then shortly thereafter I was adopted by my parents. For that reason, I don't have any newborn photos of myself... but I do have this, which was taken about 37.5 years ago:

And I give you THIS from my 16th birthday:

Rachael and me drinking Lambrusco and having an ice cream cake, 8/15/1986. My shirt smacks of TGIFridays and is killing my eyes.  And we were about 5 years too young to be drinking... (!!!)

This year, to celebrate, I'm going for a 45 minute run.  Done!

5:07 PM: WOW! I got 55 inspires today. And the day is not even over! What a cool birthday gift. I feel very trixie-esque. Kiss You all are awesome. Thanks.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8
Swim
  • 42m
  • 2500.00 yards
  • 01m 41s /100 yards

Business ONLY! Very focused swim, despite the fact I started out feeling like a beached walrus.

Lame lame lame.

Warmup
100 Breaststroke

Main Set
800 (every 4th 50 as IM order/scull)
This was totally uncoordinated. I felt like I was partially drowning. Seriously.
400 free with ankle bands
(forgot my paddles)
200 (alt. Per 25 sprint/easy)
5 X 100 (descend 1-3, hold 4 and 5 at fastest pace) (:20)
1) 1:30 (whoops, no place to descend to...?)
2) 1:29 (just barely)
3) 1:30 (nope!)
4) 1:28 (hey! maybe I'm not a walrus after all!)
5) 1:29

That first one was a bit too fast for a descending set. It didn't feel that fast.
100 backstroke
200 (alt. Per 25 sprint/easy)

Cooldown
200 backstroke
--------------

Swimmy swimmy swimmy swimmy swimmy swimmy swimmy tonight. My legs feel pretty good... I'm a lot less beat up after almost 12 miles than I was a couple weekends ago after 9ish. I wonder if my new shoes should get the credit for this...? They did give me a blister, though. That was gross. I popped it with a pin and some bloody watery juice came out. Awesome. Tongue out

It just so happens that I did this very same workout EXACTLY a year ago TODAY! 8/4/07. My descending 100's were:

1) 1:40
2) 1:38
3) 1:34
4) 1:34
5) 1:30 WOOO HOO! :)

Interesting.  I was Woo-Hoooing a 1:30. And today I did it accidentally. Heh.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8.5
Run
  • 2h 20m
  • 11.78 miles
  • 11m 53s /Mi

Ha! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. Sub 12 min/miles. With a 2:30/1 walk/run combo. I'm thrilled. :)

Felt pretty strong today.

Started to get queezy around 2:00 into it, though, and wound up squatting next to a tree @ 2:05. I got the squirts! I almost made it! Poop (heh, no pun intended!)

Gathered myself together and continued on an additional 15 minutes and got it done.

Had I continued at this pace, I may have had a half marathon PR. This was what I was trying to do @ Steelhead... before I lost my enthusiasm around mile 8ish.

Recoverite + Ice bath

8:41 AM: Took a vacation day today so I could still work my long run into my training and race on Sunday. So, today, I'm charged with the task of running for 2 hours and 20 minutes. Glory be! Supposed to be a very nice day today, so I'm going to head on over to Moraine Hills State Park and amble around for 2:20. First, I need to get all my drinks and fuel stuff together... and have breakfast. Kiss
All right peeps, time to gather the troops...our pal BunnyRunner (TEAM TERRI) needs our strength and support again... the cancer is back. ($%&$%^$%^$#&&#$%%#)  Pop on over and send her a hug....

• Health data: Hours slept: 10
Swim
  • 40m
  • 2400.00 yards
  • 01m 40s /100 yards

Open Water Schwimmen @ Crystal Lake with Jana, Katie, Pete, et al.

For Jana's last day, and for me to finally get my new wetsuit... well, wet.

Memorable quote of this morning:

Jana: Laura, you swim the crookedest straight line I've ever seen!

Me: I know! (As I narrowly miss a head on collision with people swimming in the same direction...?)

BYE JANA! ENJOY FLORIDA!

5:34 AM: Up early for a little OWS this morning! Jana's official last day. Poop.

GO TEAM USA!

In keeping with the Olympics... I give you a couple of my snapshots from Atlanta 1996.  I road tripped there with my friend Amy. We stayed for a week and a half in MACON (80 miles outside of Atlanta) and drove into Atlanta EVERY DAY for events. We had a GREAT time. If the Olympics come to the US again, I'd HIGHLY recommend going. Even for just a couple of events. We saw:

• Mens' gymnastics individual final
  • Beach volleyball (They served beer. I don't remember who played whom...although I do recall it rained during a match involving Brazil!)
  • Swimming
  • And a bunch of other stuff I don't remember. Mostly beach volleyball and gymnastics, though.
Men's Swimming (Michael Phelps was still in grade school in 1996):

Me and Amy outside the "expo" area. So much stuff to see, do and BUY! Like Ironmanland on STEROIDS! (I still have ((and wear!)) that shirt!)

And here was our view in the gymnastics venue:

The athletes looked like teeny tiny little twirling ants. In an ant farm with bars and mats and vaults.

RECOVERY DAY!
Back on track this week. Got a big run on Wednesday and a race on Sunday. Miscellaneous other runs and swims mixed throughout. Some core-work, too... but today, NADA!

A couple of photos of me and my family this weekend:

That's everyone, with my Mom in the middle and my sister and BIL on the right. Me and dumpy on the left.

Me, my Mom and sister.

Dumpster and me.

• Health data: Hours slept: 8

Whizzzzz's Training Log

August 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Time