Saint Charles,IL 

6:31 AM: I am up early and must be the picture of efficiency as I need to be out the door and on the road by 7:30. You'd think an hour would be enough time for me to get ready, wouldn't you? But I like to dawdle. No one wastes time like I do. I have a longish commute today to another office for an all day (2 day actually, today and tomorrow) survey.

In other news: I have decided to stop wearing my SUPERFEET. I wore them for about 6 months, and while I originally thought they curbed my knee pain, I no longer believe that. The knees still ache. Plus my feet were starting to hurt in places they've never hurt before. I think they may have rolled my feet too far to the outside, causing some sort of weird-outside-of-the-foot foot strike. I wore my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 5's yesterday for my run and had my best long run experience yet, as far as comfy feet. No Superfeet, no Yanks. Nothing fancy. WHERE can I get another pair of these discontinued shoes? WHERE!?  Frown
6:41 PM: Here are some ((highly anticipated, I'm sure)) updates...
  • Brooks has answered my email regarding the availability of any GTS 5's. They are not available. They don't have any. They don't know where I might get any. They are, after all, about 3 years old. They encouraged me to try the new GTS 9. Poo. I do have to give them kudos for caring about my inquiry, though. The representative even signed the email... "Happy Running!" How delightful! 
  • The survey was a smashing success. I diligently persisted all day long, reviewing and evaluating the handiwork of others. I wrapped up my day's work and went to save my ((rather long and involved)) spreadsheet prior to leaving and... I managed to overwrite 8 hours worth of surveying with a BLANK document. Yes. You read that correctly. A BLANK document. As in, a document that's blank... devoid of my day-long diligence and persistence. Apparently I handled it well, according to the IT gal. *Sigh* So now I've got twice as much to do tomorrow. 
  • I'm having a glass of wine right now, getting ready to watch the latest installment of Intervention. I am going to have a nutritious and well rounded dinner. I am going to get a good night's sleep. I am going to do two days worth of work in one day tomorrow. Watch me.

  • Health data: Hours slept: 8
  • 2h 26m 27s
  • 12.08 miles
  • 12m 07s /Mi

Forgot my HRM strap. So I have no HR numbers. BLAH!

Decided I was going to try to make this as enjoyable as possible. Since I can't learn to run well, I'm damned well going to learn to enjoy running poorly.

So I looked around alot, pet all the dogs I could find, and I saved a baby turtle from certain death.

And I ran over 12 miles on a hilly hilly course. This will be great for practice runs for March Madness next year.

Recoverite + Ice bath

Our animals. Don't get along.

My cat Molly will not stand for Taetum in the house. She goes absolutely nuts and she won't let us get any sleep! And Taetum is restless... I think it's all the drugs she's on... so she is fidgety, and she gets up and walks around alot in the middle of the night... and Molly antagonizes her the whole time. It's exhausting. Quentin just sleeps through it all... while Molly is quite possessive and bratty. 

Bottom line: I got about 3 good hours of sleep last night. Bummer. Lots of the laying around, but not much of the sleeping.  I have a 2:30 run today. Not really looking forward to it. I also am ((again)) in dire need of groceries. Going to the store after my run is never fun. Frown Waaaaaaaaaaah. Woe is me.


Pity party. Over. 

Now, to get on with this marathon thing. 

  • 1h 48m 37s
  • 29.82 miles
  • 16.47 Mi/hr

Kelly and I had a **VERY** leisurely ride on the flat route I usually take during the week. We rode and chatted and chatted and rode.

VERY humid outside. HOT! STICKY! GROSS!

  • 35m
  • 1859.14 yards
  • 01m 53s /100 yards

Swimmy. After the bike ride. We ate lunch first.

300 easy swim
(there was supposed to be back and breast stroke, but my knees don't like breast stroke much)
4 x 100 IM (:30)
3 x 300 on 5:13
100 cool down

Was supposed to be 4 x 300 and a longer cool down, but I was fairly tired and I've been swimming a lot lately... pulled the plug a bit early.

Kelly is coming! We are going to ride our bikes and go for a swimmy. I also have some corework to do from yesterday.


So I finally found time to do this:

Yup. Groovy.

  • Health data: Hours slept: 10
  • 1h 04m 23s
  • 3300.00 yards
  • 01m 57s /100 yards

500 warm up
200 closed fist + pb
50 OK/50 INDEX
50 PINKY/50 OK
3 x 100 bands
1) 1:53
2) 1:52
3) 1:54
4 x 300 easy free (5:13)
1) 5:04
2) 5:05
3) 5:03
4) 5:05
4 x 200 Hard (3:15)
1) 2:26 (ran into someone in my lane, and then thought I was done, but I wasn't)
2) 3:14
3) 3:16
4) 3:12
150 stroke

7:08 AM: I have 2 (count 'em) arbitration hearings today, @ the courthouse that's closest to home. I do, however, have to drive into the office, discuss some stuff with my supervisor, and then drive all the way back to McHenry County to present myself for these hearings. Once again, I will need to clone myself, since I will need to testify in two different court rooms at 1:30PM. How is that going to work? Really?

Hopefully, it will be quick so I can get out a bit early and go swim. 3300 swimmy on the docket for today! I want to do it outside! Laughing

3:48 PM: Home! Turns out the attorneys stipulated to my testimony and I didn't have to utter a single syllable. In either case. Of course none of that happened until I showed up at the courthouse, and was sworn in. Ah well, at least I got out of there early and was able to run a couple of errands. Now I'm home and getting my swimming stuff together. I should be able to swim in the outdoor pool! Yay!

It's our good friend BRENDA'S (aka Zilla's) birthday today:

Stop by, wish her well, and offer to tease her hair...

Click on the delightfully wholesome yearbook photo:

  • 1h 10m
  • 6.00 miles
  • 11m 40s /Mi

This felt rough-ish today. Might have been faster, but I was very pre-occupied with work. Didn't leave the office until 6:15 tonight... got to the forest preserve and started running. Luckily, I avoided the rain.

HR seems high. Knees were creaky. Muscled through it, and got it done. :)

That really big spike and slow down was when I stopped to pet a miniature dachshund. The cutest, tiniest, little tail wagger you've ever seen!

Running tonight. 1:10.

No photo today. The photo in the flipper is nothing exciting. I'm so busy at work I have a headache and I don't know what to do first... So I sit and stare at my computer with analysis paralysis. Frown

On an unrelated note, I have no food in my refrigerator, and will probably wind up having an onion with a side of orange juice and some parmesan cheese for dinner. There may be ketchup involved, as well. Time will tell. Depends on how adventuresome I feel.

I went to Jewel after my run and got some foodstuffs to get me through the night. And some wine. Good God. Oh! And I also have a cute photo to post. Actually a couple of from Jana's going away party and the other from our last OWS...Jana just got these up on Facebook...

Here's me and Chris and Jana:

And here's the OWS group:

It was too warm to wear a wetsuit that day... but that's the only action my new suit has seen all year! A wetsuit and Crocs. Please. Promise not to call WNTW!

  • Health data: Hours slept: 8.5
  • 1h 15m 02s
  • 23.55 miles
  • 18.83 Mi/hr

Garmin had a hell of a time finding satellites tonight. Didn't pick up until over 2 miles into my ride.

Couldn't help myself. Felt fast tonight and pushed it with the new wheel and the new cassette. I'm much faster with this stuff. Who knew? I have done some serious work on the engine, methinks. With a lighter bike and TWO lighter race wheels, I just might be unstoppable!

  • 15m

Misc Corework

Was supposed to do this last night. AARRGGGHHHHH.

7:12 AM: Yesterday was certainly a nutritional nadir if there ever was one. After having my onion laden chili-dog for lunch, I proceeded to feed the machine a sloppy Harry (basically a sloppy Joe at a place called Harry's) and some coleslaw. And 3 glasses of Pinot Noir. The mayonnaise mixed cabbage is the closest thing to a vegetable I had all day. This is depressing to even me. And I'm pretty liberal when it comes to fuel for the engine. Today ((will have to be)) better. I'm not sure how it could be worse.

Rachael and I did take one cute photo, though, amidst the heartburn, calories and alcohol.  Compare it to our Sweet 16 picture from last Friday. I think we look better now! 22 years later. Fierce!

12:32 PM: Back from lunch with my employee Mentor! We went to California Pizza Kitchen and I had a grilled vegetable salad to satisfy my craving for nutrients. Avocado, eggplant, sun dried tomatoes, asparagus, corn, spinach etc etc...

  • 40m
  • 2200.00 yards
  • 01m 49s /100 yards

200 easy free
100 backstroke
200 closed fist and buoy
50 OK/50 Index/50 Pinky/50 scull
4 X 100 IM, (:30)
6 X 150 light pace free, (:10)
200 backstroke

No stopwatch today. I loaned it to dumpster for the race this weekend and I can't find my other one... I didn't look that hard, actually...

6:13 AM: Up up up early for a little swimmy. Then work all day. Then out to dinner with Rachael for us to exchange birthday gifities and celebrate our 8/1/08 and 8/15/08 birthdays. You see, the whole month of August becomes one big birthday celebration for us. Kiss
1:01 PM: Work is excruciatingly busy. I just jammed a chili-dog with onions down my throat and I ripped into a bag of Lay's chips. Can I label this "stress eating?" I've never stress-eaten before. It's messy.

  • Health data: Hours slept: 8

Whizzzzz's Training Log

 August 2008 
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
  • April's totals
  • March's totals
  • 2021 totals
  • 2020 totals