Saint Charles,IL 
Bike
  • 1h 11m 16s
  • 21.39 miles
  • 18.01 Mi/hr

I don't think I was quite as fast without my visor.

2 laps

1) 10.79 mi/ Avg sp = 17.0 mph
2) 10.6 mi/ Avg sp = 19.1 mph

No HRM today.

Supposed to be Z 1 & 2... was probably more like Z 1,2,3ish. Couldn't help myself. Felt like pushing a teeny tiny bit this evening.

So, I don't think I'm going to put together a whole race report for that Steelhead thing. What I will say is the following:

RUN #1: Should have been a swim. Not a great runner, so instead of coming out of the front of my wave in a swim, I was shot out the back of my wave and into the next two waves in this run. I tried hard, but not too hard, because I didn't want to use up all my energy. My legs have a finite number of strides in them on any given day. That's just the way it is. Avg = 11 min/miles. Not awful.

T1: Pretty fast. I was warmed up by this point and ran to my transition spot, and only did half the job, apparently. Exited T1 still wearing my running visor under my helmet, and with a 20 oz bottle of Infinit jammed down the back of my shorts. As I ran, it snuck down my right leg, until I had to reach all the way down my shorts and pick it out. (While wearing a visor and helmet, mind you.) I need one of those behind the seat bottle holders.

BIKE: Had myself photographed from every angle fighting with my visor. That's delightful. Finally pulled over and took it off. Chugged my shorts bottle (all 20 oz) in the first 40 minutes so I could ditch it by the first aid station. Peed in a porta potty. Averaged 19.5. Could have gone harder. Was working on pacing. Seemed to go OK. Would have liked to have been faster. Probably could have pushed it a little harder and still had a good run through mile 8. 

T2: Trix was waiting at my transition spot and she had to convince me to go out on the run. I was ready to just call it a stupid day. I finally agreed to go after much pouting on my part and cajoling on hers.  This was a slow transition. I didn't care.

RUN #2:  We laughed & harrassed other runners and had a great time through about mile 8. Then I started to get weepy and tired and irritated with myself. Trixie tried all of her trainer tricks and some of them worked while others made me hyperventilate. (Wink) Around mile 12ish I decided I REALLY didn't care anymore, so we walked most of the rest of the way. She peeled off right around the finish line. I crossed the line, got my medal from BAMBAM66 and sat down with a cold towel on my head. I vowed to never do another duathlon again.

THE END. 

Swim
  • 37m 27s
  • 1900.00 yards
  • 01m 58s /100 yards

In true Whizzzzzz fashion, I printed the workout at work and, of course, left it on the printer.

So I improvised. I remembered seeing parts of it...

200 easy swim
50 OK
50 index
50 pinkie
100 breast
150 fists & PB
4 x 300 (:10)
These I know for sure. However, they were supposed to be "light pace" I got all jacked up with energy and did them descending. Easy to the high end of medium.
1) 5:04
2) 5:00
3) 4:58
4) 4:52
50 breast
50 easy free
-----------

7:42 AM: Dinner with the girls was fun. I had the best ((BEST)) sesame seared tuna salad. I channeled my inner dumpster and selected something off of the menu that had lots of protein and a fairly high nutrient content because of all of the colorful vegetables... red peppers, yellow peppers, carrots, etc etc. I ate the whole thing and was so proud of myself for making such a healthy (and delicious) choice, I nearly broke my arm patting myself on the back. I left my camera in Rachael's van. She is going to upload and email me the photos we took. And I will probably have to stop by her house to pick up the camera sometime later this week.

Jana's (swim coach) going away party is Friday...and I'd like to have my camera for that.  Laughing

Cute photo from last night:

Me. Tall. Everyone else, normal sized.

Oh! Triathlon stuff... yes that's right. That's what I'm here for. I swim tonight. Stay tuned for that.
ARE YOU READY TO LAUGH???!?! ARE YOU!??! GO AHEAD, I CAN TAKE IT.

Click HERE for more hilarity. It was what it was. Hilarious, frustrating, and just sorta not my day. Tongue out

• Health data: Hours slept: 7.5

7:20 AM: Up early to fold some laundry... and get ready for work. Work all day, then meet my HS girlfriends @ Champps in Lombard for some dinner and a birthday celebration for myself and Rachael. Kiss

I have a REST DAY today! Yay! 

The remainder of the week looks like this:

• Wednesday --  Another short swim
  • Thursday     --  1:15 bike
  • Friday          --  :30 easy run
  • Saturday     --  REST DAY!!!
  • Sunday        -- 1:20 run.

That's the calm before the marathon storm. I'm considering doing Pleasant Prairie as a sprint next weekend. Just for fun. I'd like to have carefree race that goes according to "plan" at least once before this season is over. And it doesn't take much to planning to do a sprint, so I'm thinking that's going to be the ticket.

***PLUS***

If Pleasant Prairie gets turned into a duathlon, the worst case scenario is a 3 mile run/12 mile bike/3 mile run. I can do that. Now I have a whole new angle to consider.... my races morphing into duathlons.

Swim
  • 23m
  • 1000.00 yards
  • 02m 18s /100 yards

100 swim
150 swim
150 kick
150 pull
150 drill
100 IM
100 IM
100 cool down
---------

The most basic and rudimentary swim ever swum.

FWIW, my Steelhead swim cap finally got in the water today. Heh.

The muscle aches started yesterday. Hamstrings, and arms mostly, shoulders. Funny, cuz we didn't swim at all... I think it might be from being tense while running. Knee stiffness is getting better. ART today at lunchtime. Wooo Hoooo! Going to ask about getting some custom orthotics, they might help with my homegrown BUNION. (heh, thanks, Jazz!) We'll see what Dr. Fager says.

Am also going to start wearing my Brooks Adrenaline 7s for my long runs. The Sauconys, while I really do like them, are not good for more than 7-8-9 ish miles. That will not do for the marathon. I've always had good luck with the Adrenalines, but after they changed from model 5 to 6 they were not as comfortable. I tried on the 7s at the marathon expo last year and bought them, because they seemed OK,  but I have not run in them yet. We'll see how they do. I have tried every make and model of running shoe in an effort to replace those Adrenalines... and nothing has come close. There are alot of crappy running shoes out there, believe me.

Short self directed drilly swimmy today. 30 minutes. Was going to do it this morning, but it's storming. (Hey, that kinda rhymes!)

Tomorrow another rest day and dinner out with my HS girlfriends! Yay! Laughing

Photos from this weekend are available HERE .

Or click the photo below:

Click on me and trixie for rkreuser's album.

Bike
  • 2h 46m 21s
  • 54.00 miles
  • 19.48 Mi/hr

Consciously held back. Could have gone harder. Was being very conservative. Any time my HR felt high, I backed way off.

Concentrated on getting all my nutrition in, and making sure my damned visor didn't get in the way of my handlebars. Yep, I started the bike with my running visor on under my helmet. Took it off around mile 2 of the bike, and held it around my handlebars for the remaining 50+ miles.

I can't wait to see the photos.

Run #1
  • 2h 59m 42s
  • 13.10 miles
  • 13m 43s /Mi

Run walked great til mile 8.

Then started to falter.

Then decided I didn't care and walked miles 12 and 13.

Trixie was a laugh and a half. :)

"Sir? Why are you pulling down that sign?"

Run #2
  • 22m 01s
  • 2.00 miles
  • 11m 01s /Mi

First Godforsaken run. Should have been a swim!

Uhm, yeah. Run. Bike (shortened slightly) Run.

Not my idea of a geat time, actually. Take the event I'm best at, and remove it. Now, shorten the event I'm second best at, and add an extra two miles to the event I hate the most. I did not sign up for that. No way. 

But I did it. First run = not too bad. Bike = windy, but OK, held back so I could still run afterwards. Run = Meh. I was OK til around mile 8. (That's progress) Thanks to Trixie for running with me. I only cried twice and hyperventilated once. (All after mile 8) I don't know why I do that.  *sigh* Race report will follow. We've got a boat load of photos from the house, too. Kiss

Congratulations to Jazzy and Birkie on their Clearwater spots. Damn runner-types. Wink

• RACE DAY: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon
7:19 AM: Up, going to finish the last packing, and get on the road around 9. Don't want to go much earlier than that because I'll just wind up sitting around in traffic. There's really no good way to get from the NW suburbs of Chicago to Michigan... I'm going to have to go around the lake and through Indiana, on higways that are riddled with construction. Hooooray! See all you Steelheads soon! Laughing

Whizzzzz's Training Log

August 2008 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Time
Distance
Time
  • February's totals