Saint Charles,IL 
Swim
  • 1h 13m 25s
  • 4483.81 yards
  • 01m 38s /100 yards

Ironman swim.

Must have started in the right place because I had clear water for much of this swim. A little bit of contact but nothing like the bludgeoning I took in 2009.

Better than anticipated.

Bike
  • 6h 48m 46s
  • 112.00 miles
  • 16.44 Mi/hr

Was on track to have a 17 ish or so average. Was feeling great. Got a flat tire around mile 72, and I stopped to change it. Took me a long time. Far too long. It was the first time I'd ever changed the tube in the race wheels. I need to get better at this.

Surprisingly, I took it all in stride and just stayed calm and took care of business. For 20 whole freaking minutes. Or more. I don't know. My Garmin autopaused and I had no concept of time.

Run
  • 7h 05m 03s
  • 26.20 miles
  • 16m 13s /Mi

Another blistering (Hah, and I do mean that literally) run split thrown down by yours truly.

I walked 98% of it. It was hot. I didn't try that hard to run. I pulled the plug early and kept a reasonable forward moving pace. Elapsed time includes porta potty stops ( a couple ) as well as time spent fcuking around looking for bandaids for my blistering (EEEEK!) feet.

Stopped at an aid station and asked for bandaids or tape or something, and ended up sitting there for about 10 minutes while an official made me feel like a cheater for asking for duct tape.

More on that later.

Blue wristbands mean we're going to be busy for most of the day today, kids. Kiss

Saw this carved into a table at (of all places!) Starbucks in Madison. Turns out it's the city's motto. Today I'm borrowing it to make it MY motto... And maybe not just for today... maybe I'll borrow it forever. You see, the only way to move is forward. In an Ironman; in any event at all; and especially in our biggest and most important event, the one we call life. So, I'm dedicating today to moving forward. I'm going to be doing it quite literally for most of the day. You are likely going to be doing it today too, in your own way. We, as a nation have done it collectively since September 11, 2001. We move forward because that's the only thing to do. Moving backwards in life, as in Ironman, is not a preferred option. 

We haven't forgotten.

• RACE DAY: Ironman Wisconsin
Swim
  • 20m
  • -----
  • -----

No buoys, so went down to the end of Monona Terrace and back. Toodling.

11:56 AM: Jen Hogan and Craig arrived! Our Texan-jockstrappers! Went for a little swimmy and then hung out with them for a while, got breakfast, had a coffee, and now we're back in the room getting all the "schtuff" together. Bike and Run bags are packed, and Spartacus is sporting number 640. It's getting more and more real! I don't know why, but I'm having a hard time believing that I'm going to be doing an Ironman in less than 24 hours. In fact, in 24 hours I'll be smack in the middle of my bike ride, someplace off near Verona, maybe. Seriously? Really? Already? I thought it was MARCH the last time I looked at the calendar. Apparently I looked wrong. Surprised

My bags don't seem to have as much crap in them this time around. Actually, I didn't use much of the crap last time, so maybe I'm just getting smarter, or learning how to pack a bit more lightly. I'm not doing a full, entire costume change each time, so that could be part of it too... I'm only changing bottoms. That should reduce my transition times. One can only hope. I think my T1 was over 11 minutes in 2009! It was like I had a tea party or something!!! Wink

8:55 PM: So, just got everything all finalized and ready to roll. I think I'm ready to go to bed now. Getting up at O'DarkThirty to do my second Ironman. Finishing is not a guarantee. Even if you've done one before. Even if you've done 10 before. It's a long day and plenty can go wrong. Plenty can go right, though too, and I'm hoping for smooth sailing and the proverbial wind at my back for much of the race. I'll let you know how that goes. 

Athlete dinner last night was decent, I guess. The general consensus was that the food sucked, but I thought it was OK. I'm easy. Photos to come... we're still packing it up here @ the Whizzzzz-dumpster abode.

Bike
  • 43m
  • 11.00 miles
  • 15.35 Mi/hr

Rode bikes. Time approximate. Gears all check out.

Swim
  • 25m
  • -----
  • -----

About 25 minutes of miscellaneous swimming. Lake Monona is the perfect temperature. :) Awesome.

That would be me, telling some unknown people that their sleeveless wetsuits are perfect for the water temp!

11:22 AM: I've become addicted to Power Bar Energy Blasts. They are delicious and I'm eating them like candy. I think I'm going to use THEM on the bike ride on Sunday rather than SHOT BLOKS. I sort of reluctantly eat shot blocks... these energy chew things? I can't get enough. Nom Nom Nom!

Bike
  • 1h 18m 26s
  • 18.80 miles
  • 14.38 Mi/hr

On that Capitol view trail. Slow and windy but nice and chatty. :)

With Kristin.

Lame signage, huh?

10:07 AM: We arrived last night. Had dinner @ a place called Coopers and then hung out with Kristin until we fell asleep. Today we're heading over to registration, going for a little swimmy, and then test riding our bikes on the trail for a bit. Photos to follow! Cool

We don't have dinner plans yet, so if anyone is around and wants to head out to dinner, call us! 
We found Shannon: (swgtri)

Morning Coffee... while I ruminate and pack and repack and pack and repack and get ready to start working so I can sign off at a decent hour to get up to Madison! ZOMG.

I've had an underlying feeling of general nervousness. I think ((think!!)) I've done all the appropriate work. I know I'm a little light in the run department, but I knowingly sacrificed some volume for recovery. I had a hard enough time recovering after 3 runs a week... I can't imagine how I would have felt after 4, like I had in 2009. My swim is pretty much the same no matter what I do. I know my swim could improve if I would be willing to do all the swim-work that it would take to shave minutes off my IM swim time... but I haven't done that work, so I'll get what I get on race day. I pretty much have done "maintenance" swimming. Biking feels like it has developed nicely over the summer, my nutrition is dialed in, and I like my bike fit. My knees and joints all feel pretty good right now. Running is a crapshoot. I am hoping I can eek out a sub 6 marathon using a run/walk combination, but with my stand alone marathon PR as a 6:08, I'm not sure that's realistic. Perhaps a better goal is a slightly faster moving parade than I had in 2009.

I think mostly I'm nervous because I know it will hurt. I know it will hurt on Sunday and I know it will continue to hurt on Monday, and if it's anything like 2009, it will hurt well into November. I wonder if this is what childbirth is like... women keep getting pregnant, knowing full well that they are going to have to push the equivalent of a pot roast out of their nostril.

I know I can *do* it. Or, at least, I know I have *done* it. Can I replicate that "stellar" 2009 outing? I hope so, at very least. I also hope I can have 1/2 as much fun this year as I had then. It was absolutely one of the favorite days of my life. Kiss 15+ hours of unmitigated fun. This year I'd like slightly less than 15 hours of unmitigated fun, if possible. Wink

• Health data: Hours slept: 8
Swim
  • 25m
  • 1200.00 yards
  • 02m 05s /100 yards

Teeny tiny swimmy with Trudy. We were relegated inside. BLAH! Outdoor pool is closed.

We had a workout all picked out and ready to go, but we ended up talking to everyone there. All the outside people were inside.

We ended up with this:

200 swim
200 kick
200 pull
and...
6 x 100 on 1:55
--------------

And then we went over to the DWR tank.

Sport
  • Aqua Jogging
  • 20m

20 minutes of DWR with Trudy. I'm glad we did this.

9:47 AM: I am mostly packed up and ready to go. I swear to God there are things I'm missing, though... not the least of which is the list I printed in order to be sure I didn't forget anything. See, that's what happens with me... let's say I go to the store... I make a list of what I want to buy at the store... and then I leave said list at home, on a countertop someplace. Welcome to Whizzzzzworld. A willy-nilly hodge podge of whateverness.

This is precisely how I forgot my wetsuit and my socks for the Chicago Triathlon. Who needs socks anyway?

I do intend to find that list, or at least print a new one and safety pin it to my shirt.

5:02 PM: For those of you playing along at home... I did find the list! Yay! But wow. I don't think I need half of the things on this list anyway.

Molly wants to come with me:

Pack me, Mamma! I'm great help in T2!!!

Without a doubt, the single most important thing you will ever read before doing an IRONMAN:

FOUR KEYS TO IRONMAN EXECUTION

"All you've done for 9 months is build a vehicle. Ironman racing is about how you DRIVE that vehicle. It is not about the vehicle."

Bike
  • 2h 11m 48s
  • 37.35 miles
  • 17.00 Mi/hr

Perfect morning for a perfectly easy ride.

Made Ed (the main instigator of the hammerfests) promise (like handshake promise) that he would not instigate any shenanigans 6 days before IMWI. We don't need to be hammering a paceline at 19+ MPH today. We just need to go out for a teeny tiny little ride, and pace it easily.

He shook my hand, and off we went. And I'll be damned if he didn't stay back the whole time. I think he knows now is the time to conserve energy, not spend it.

Anyway, we did the whole Deerpass loop. Nice ride. Wind from the north. About 50 degrees to start.

And that, my friends, is it for the Monday-night Misfits. It was a good (and FAST) couple of months.

Went out to breakfast to celebrate (it seems like we've been doing that a lot lately) and we sat around for a while and chatted. Nice leisurely holiday morning.

Well here we have most of the Monday-night Misfits, except for Dan and this other guy Ken:

R-L Vik, me, IP, Kurt, Ed and Steve. Otherwise known as the boyz. 

AND JUST LIKE THAT, IT'S RACE WEEK!!!!

I've done a rather half assed job getting all my stuff together. Must full-ass that immediately. Ta-ta!

Whizzzzz's Training Log

September 2011 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 

Time
Distance
Time
  • December's totals