Saint Charles,IL 

Nada. Canceled OTF for today last night. We ordered a pizza and watched 3 episodes of Better Call Saul. Went to bed late. I am getting chubby; back on the stick when I return from Key West. 

Took my mom to get a pedicure. Her toenails grow VERY LONG and she doesn't say anything. I don't know how she is able to wear shoes. Got that handled. Dayum

Here are the best laid plans for next week:

Monday -- Walk? At lunchtime? 
 Tuesday -- OTF 6 AM (yawn) 
 Wednesday -- OTF 5:45 PM
 Thursday --  Office.
 Friday -- Maybe an outdoor ride?  What is the weather supposed to be like? 
 ORD --> EYW Key West with the SF girls! 
 Sunday -- Key West

Day 3 in CapeTown started out with a trip to the marina to catch a ferry over to Robben Island. Robben Island was where Nelson Mandela (and various other political prisoners) were incarcerated for years upon years on end, for supporting an end to Apartheid. They burned passbooks (black people needed little passports to prove why they were... anywhere they "weren't supposed to be"). They were oppressed, unable to own land or property, and while it wasn't a slavery system, the black majority was subjugated by the white minority to a huge degree. White people had large walled off homes and lived the good life while black people were relegated to dirty cramped townships, living in aluminum shacks without running water or plumbing. No garbage pick up. Nothing. Plenty of townships remain. Densely packed, with people living on top of each other, in squalor. No heat. No A/C. As part of the end of Apartheid, the government is trying to build affordable housing to move people out of the townships and into a regular apartment or home. This has been slow going. It was very sobering and not a good look for the white folk. 

Clockwise starting at the entrance: The entrance to Robben Island. Robben means "Seal" so this is basically Seal Island. There are seals all over the place. There was a frame for us to take our photo with Table Mountain in the background, then Table Mountain itself, view from the island, and then an example of a passbook, followed by a cell. This prison was HARSH; prisoners were allowed to take 1 shower per week, and it was with cold water, and they had 13 minutes FOR EVERYONE TO GET THEIR SHOWER DONE. No beds, prisoners slept on the floor, with a mat. They were allowed one visitor per year. Food was rationed out by the color of your skin. Black people got one thing while white people got something else, and "colored" people got something else entirely. It was uncomfortable to hear. White people have been judging others by their skin color for... a long long time. Progress is slow and there is so much work to do. We all need to hear these stories, and understand this history. World-wide and at home. The only way out is through. 

• Health data: Hours slept: 10
Sport
  • Orange Theory
  • 1h 00m

A harsh welcome back. Oyyyyyyyyyy. I think I am going to start keeping track of the workouts again since they are going to be repeating now, and I would like to see how I do on them, comparatively, in case I get one twice. So this workout was this:

Tread Block 1
1 min base @ 3%
1 min base @ 4%
1 min base @ 5%
1 min base
45 sec base @ 4%
45 sec base @ 5%
45 sec base @ 6%
1 min base
30 sec base @ 5%
30 sec base @ 6%
30 sec base @ 7%
1 min base
45 sec AO

Switch to Rower
1 min base row
1 min push row
1 min AO row

Switch to Floor
Back to back, load and explode:
6 - 8 x bench tap front squat
6 - 8 x bench tap jump squat, rest
6 - 8 total x alt plank low row, rest

Tread Block 2
1 min base @ 3%
1 min base @ 4%
1 min base @ 5%
1 min base
45 sec base @ 4%
45 sec base @ 5%
45 sec base @ 6%
1 min base
30 sec base @ 5%
30 sec base @ 6%
30 sec base @ 7%
1 min base
45 sec AO

Switch to Rower
1 min base row
1 min push row
1 min AO row

Floor Block 2
Back to back, load and explode:
6 - 8 x chest press
6 - 8 x bench power push up, rest
6 - 8 each x lateral lunge with balance; I did these as squats.

As you can see from the above ^^ this was rough on me today. 

Afterwards I got ready and went to see my CL pals to celebrate Julie's wedding shower. It was a "personal shower" so we were supposed to give her nighties and negligees and whatever... I got her a gift certificate to Victoria's Secret. She's 53 years old and has 3 grown kids from a prior marriage. She knows how to have sex, and she shouldn't need me to buy her a nightie. She can choose her underthings for herself at VS! 

My photo collages are doing weird things on their own. ^^ This does not show a black border on my phone, yet here we are. Yesterday there looks like there's a photo that's misaligned. It does not look like that on my phone! I don't know why these things are not translating, but whatever. 

I am getting some AWESOME sleep lately. Really. It's been extraordinary. Walked a little over 2 miles yesterday just to get some movement in. In addition to working less I am going to MOVE MORE. Not just OTF, but walking/steps too. Sitting on my ass all day is a big problem. OTF tomorrow I think. The app is broken and doesn't tell me how long the wait list is or what position I am in on it. 

Wedding shower for my friend Julie tomorrow. Am excited to shower and leave the house. 

Since I am now taking lunches and working 8 hours, I got my nails done during lunch. I leave for the Florida Keys next Saturday and I saw an opportunity to get my nails done now, and I snatched it. 

OK, so let's move on to our second full day in CapeTown. We went on a tour all the way down to Cape Point, which is the most southwestern point on the African continent. It literally felt like being on the edge of the world. It was not possible to get into the water (rocky beach, no swimsuit, frigid water) but that would have REALLY FELT like swimming off the planet. 

We also visited the Boulders Penguin Colony. 

We had the most awesome dinner after this epic day of adventure; we ate a place called Reverie Social. We didn't take a single picture because we were so enthralled with the company and the concept. It's a 10 person table small small restaurant. (The website says it's for 18 people, but we only had 10 at our seating. I wonder if she has leaves to expand the table?) You don't choose anything from the menu. You eat whatever comes out with a wine pairing. You are forced to talk to the people around you, and talk to the chef. She came out between courses to talk about the food and the wine. She encouraged us to ask questions of her and each other. This configuration might sound like a nightmare to some, and I will admit, sometimes I am not up for being super social, especially with strangers, HOWEVER on this night I was, and we had the most awesome meal and conversation. I really felt like we should have taken a group photo, but no one else suggested it and I didn't want to be the psycho that has to take pictures of everything.  I can see the photos with my mind's eye. 

• Health data: Hours slept: 9
Run
  • 38m 09s
  • 2.11 miles
  • 18m 05s /Mi

A short little walk to get me moving after work.

OK, enough about what I did or didn't wear during our safari. 

Let's start out with our time in CapeTown. Please stand by as I put together a collage.  

Viola! Here we have the following: 

• Dinner the first night we arrived was a huge tasting menu and wine pairing. 
  • Following day on a food tour (OMG so much food) 
  • Rooibos (red bush) tea. Supposed to have healing qualities. (Oh man I needed it!) 
  • Cappuccino from TRUTH coffee. They do not provide sugar, because they claim YOU DON'T NEED IT in their coffee. They were right! 
  • Chris and me in BoKaap  (Above the Cape -- a neighborhood that was segregated during Apartheid, and whose houses were painted with bright, cheap, old ship paint) 
  • I found road flowers! (Plumeria, just like in Hawaii) 
  • The bottom photo is the view from Table Mountain. This mountain is hard to get on top of because the gondolas are so impacted by the weather and winds. Our first full day provided a perfect opportunity to go to the top of Table Mountain, so we did! 

• Health data: Hours slept: 9

Guess who's back. That would be me. Moving forward, my aim is going to be to work 8 hours a day, no more, no less. They are paying me for a full time job, not indentured servitude. These are the best laid plans. 

Meanwhile, I will share some photos here, when I have a chance. Stand By....

Before we talk about all of the incredible experiences this trip provided, let's FIRST talk about my panicked and misguided safari-chic attempt, shall we? 

First of all, I now know a safari is fucking hot, sweaty, and dusty. You spend hours at a stretch roaming a dusty little road in an ATV-type vehicle. What this vehicle could do is astounding. Up and down steep sandy hills and some wet rocky patches. We went off the path every now and then and this truck ran straight over bushes, branches, and even some small trees! All that said, it's a bumpy and jostling ride. Not exactly a limousine. 

No one sees your outfits. You are not arriving at the Academy Awards. Your top should be utilitarian, not fashionable. You should dress in layers because by the end of the morning drive you are going to be hotter than hell itself, and sweating through whatever you're wearing. No one, not a single solitary person, was wearing a safari hat. (That leather thing I wanted). There were plenty of baseball caps, though, so I bought one. 

FURTHERMORE, there was NO TIME between the last game drive of the day and dinner. We went to dinner in our safari clothes 3 times out of 4. ( I made a valiant attempt to freshen up the first night, but there's literally 25 minutes between pulling up to the lodge and dinner... so that's not much time, especially when your hair is like mine.) Unless you are going to be doing an Instagram photo shoot in the hours between the two game drives, you probably don't need ANY of the stuff I brought. Rompers? No. Dresses? No. Anything I didn't spray with bug repellent was packed up yesterday to be returned because I wore NONE OF IT, and never removed any of the tags. 

EXPECTATION ^^ 

REALITY ^^ 

It eventually devolved into random tops + pants and running shoes. I could only wear the cute boots like every other day... they were doing something weird to my R foot. 

I also got a LOT of mileage out of this sweater: 

Wore it on my travel days and I wore it several times on evening game drives. It was filthy by the time I got it home, finally. 

OK, enough about the fashion. Tomorrow there will be other stuff. 

PTO. Laundry!!!!! 

Sport
  • Walking
  • 45m

7999 steps. Should have taken one extra step to round it out.

Monday -->  --> ORD 

Due to the time change, we take off at 10:45 AM and land at 1:00 PM. 

Whizzzzz's Training Log

April 2022 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Time
Distance
Time
  • June's totals