• 1h 00m
  • 10.00 miles
  • -----

Ride of Silence, Boardman, Ohio. Went with my friend Sue and her son. This was the first year for this particular location. I'd estimate around 40-50 people showed up for the ride. There was a story told about a local rider who was hit by a car and killed. A prayer was said and there was a bagpipe player there. About 5-6 motorcyles escorted us through the streets of Boardman. I guess there was some real politics in getting the ride to happen. The police department did not want the ride to happen at all. I don't know all the ins and outs, but they did mention a local insurance company that stepped in at the last moment to provide insurance coverage for the ride. Sounds like a lot of effort was made to make this event happen. It was all pretty cool.

I hope rest days are not becoming a bad habit.  With my long day at work today, my only options are running or biking.  With my foot still recovering, I am not up to running back to back days yet.  With the continued deluge of rain that has descended upon the area, biking was not really an option (no riding in LOTS of water unless forced to do so  :)  ).  Turkey season ends this coming Sunday so after that my sleep pattern should get back to normal.  That will help things immensely.
  • 39m 20s
  • 4.00 miles
  • 09m 50s /Mi

Since the weather didn't cooperate yesterday, I did my long run today. Whoo Hoo!!! My longest run since last October when I hurt my foot. The weather was cool and rainy which is great running weather. I felt good pretty much the whole way. My left quad tightened up just a little but I only had about 1/4 mile left at that point so no consequence.

  • 33m
  • 1200.00 yards
  • 02m 45s /100 yards

Warm up: 100y breaststroke, 100y free
Main sets: 4 X 200y free on 5:30
The first set I did the fast ever in 4:50. Even so, I felt so tired and uncoordinated tonight. Definitely not smooth and relaxed as it should be. The rest of the sets were all done with 30-35 secs of rest.
Cool down: 200y breaststroke

  • Walking
  • 36m 20s

Warm up: walk 1.3 miles (20m15s)
Cool down: walk 1 mile (16m05s)

NOTE: Since the weather (i.e. lightning!) cancelled my run yesterday, I moved it to today.  This is going to make my weekly mileage look screwy if I do my other planned runs this week.  I am really NOT disobeying the 10% rule!  Really, I'm not!  LOL!

Got up at 4am to go turkey hunting, but the radar was full with rain.  I am so sick of sitting in the woods in the rain.  The turkeys aren't very active either so it can make for a long morning.   Occasionally is ok, but I have been getting soaked for the last 5 days.  I am just tired of it. 

So instead, I slept in until 7am, got up and went running in the rain.  That was much more enjoyable!

Well, I worked in a second workout today because, gosh darn it, Monday is my one reliable day of the week to swim and I was going to go swimming come hell or high water.  The 7am swim was out.  Then the electricity went out at home around 11am.  DH and I had to do some scrambling to get the generator up and running since we have 50 5-day-old chicks under a heat lamp.  So the noon swim was out.  I had to go into work for a couple hours this afternoon to remove an injured eye from a dog.  It was a surgery that just could not wait until later in the week.  Then I HAD to go grocery shopping afterwards so the 5pm swim was out.  That left one more chance at 8pm.  By golly, I got my act together and made it to the last lap swim of the day.  YeeeeeeeHaaaaaaw!

I am going nuts!!!!!  I want to go for a run!!!!  Went to get ready an hour ago, but then a thunderstorm blew up out of nowhere.  Some impressive cloud to ground lightning REAL close kept me indoors.  Not raining now, but there is more coming.  Oh rain, rain GO AWAY!  Well, not so much the rain, but the lightning.
  • 38m 30s
  • 9.89 miles
  • 15.41 Mi/hr

Nice ride around the Tower Rd. loop.

Not a very long bike ride today, but at least I got one in.  First time since back from vacation.  Was up at 4am as usual and turkey hunted until noon.  Came in, ate lunch and then I HAD to take a nap.  Ended up sleeping for 3 hours.  Wow!  But it worked out good.  When I went up to take my nap, the winds had been gusting around 20mph.  When I woke up, the winds were light around 5mph.  Much better for taking a bike ride!!!!  Didn't have a lot of time because I still had farm chores to do, but it was a very nice ride.

  • 32m
  • 1200.00 yards
  • 02m 40s /100 yards

5pm lap swim at the Y after work. Well, I was running a little later than usual so I didn't actually get to the pool until 5:20pm. Wasn't crowded at all and I got a lane to myself. Yeah!

Warm up: Breaststroke 100y
2 sets: 100y at a rather hard effort.
Then 100y breaststroke to just relax and chill out.
Then I decided I didn't feel like doing sets (forgot my watch anyway). So I just relaxed and swam. I did 600y of freestyle without stopping. Yeah again!!!! My longest continuous freestyle to date.
Finished with 200 yards of breaststroke.

Well, I hadn't been to the pool in 10 days.  When I first started my sets, I was worried I was going to have a sucky workout.  I was tired and winded.  So I changed focus and did a relaxed longer continuous set of front crawl.  Not really all that long, but the longest I have ever swam front crawl without throwing in some laps of breaststroke or sidestroke.

Note: Georgia poison ivy rash looks just like Ohio poison ivy rash.  LOL!

  • 30m 12s
  • 3.10 miles
  • 09m 44s /Mi

Run from home at 7pm. Drizzly, gray, kind of cool temps .... it was great!

  • Walking
  • 14m 48s

Walking: 1/2 before run to warm up and 1/2 after run to cool down.

I LOVE when a day starts out sort of down and ends great!  Took the morning off of work specifically to go turkey hunting.  Got up at 4am and the weather forecast wasn't good.  Went anyway.  Got caught in a torrential downpour about mid morning.  Didn't see a single turkey.  Kind of bummed.

THEN .......  I got home from work.  Put the new baby chicks in the barn and did farm chores.  I was feeling so tired physically and mentally when I got home from my backpacking trip on Sunday.  But after three days off, I just couldn't stand it anymore to take another day off.  That is a COOL feeling!!!!  So I went for a run and I felt sooooooooooooooo GREAT!!!!!!!  My legs weren't tired at all.  My spirit was soaring.  There were even a couple of really great songs on my radio headset which is unusual, LOL!  It is just amazing what can happen if you listen to your body when it needs a rest.

I may or may not get to swim tomorrow due to my schedule, but that's ok.  I should be able to get back on track this weekend.

drdi's Training Log

 May 2006 
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   
  • March's totals
  • February's totals
  • 2008 totals
  • 2007 totals