Run
  • 27m 07s
  • 3.00 miles
  • 09m 02s /Mi

Local 5k race. Maybe around 50-60 people participated? I drove the course after the race and it came out to 3 miles or just a hair under that so I am not entering the full 5k distance. Very warm today too. The race started at 9am and it was already 75 degrees. I am definitely not acclimated to the heat yet and the last mile was getting kind of painful.

First mile 9:23. I missed the mark for the second mile, but I looked at my watch a little ways past there and it said 9:31 so I figure the second mile was close or maybe just a little faster than the first mile. The second and third miles together were 17:43. That puts my third mile well under 9:00 minutes. Whoo Hoo!

Well I certainly fulfilled my expectations today.  My last 5k race was 30:39 back in March.  My goal was to race in under 30 minutes.  Today's race was 3.0 miles, but if you take my pace and add the extra 0.1 mile, it would be just a hair over 28 minutes.  Oh crap, does that mean my new goal is to run a 5k sub 28 minutes.  Holy cow!

I'll do a race report later.  The time I put down was my watch time.  This race was very small and not very organized so I don't even know if they will be publishing official times or not.  If they do, I may have to change the time.

I am glad my 5k race is not today.  I woke up this morning feeling like I had been run over by a linebacker after my weed whacking escapade yesterday.  Although I am feeling better now that I am up moving around.

Today I am driving 200+ miles one way to see my niece in her dance recital then driving back home tonight.  My husband is already there because he had to take the truck and trailer down to pick up all his flats of tomatoes and peppers.  I stayed behind because I have baby chicks to care for right now and didn't want to be gone the whole weekend.   I should be nice and sleepy for the race tomorrow.  :)

Well I was originally going to go for a walk today and throw in a short run to keep my miles consistant, but it turned into a rest day.  REST DAY HAHAHAHAHA!  I worked a half day then came home and took a short nap.  Decided I'd better continue on yard work that had been neglected during the monsoon earlier this month.  So I did yard work for about 4 1/2 hours.  About 3 hours of that was weed whacking.  Oh man are my arms sore and tired and I have blisters on my hands.  It needed done so badly though and I was on a roll.  Then the poultry chores after some mowing and now laundry.  Aren't weekends so nice and restful?
Swim
  • 52m
  • 1700.00 yards
  • 03m 04s /100 yards

Oh yeah, my swimming is definitely backsliding, but this is what happens when you only swim once a week. I kind of like mixing up workouts between three different sports, but the lack of a pool with a good schedule is once again weighing heavy on my mind. Enough so that I am seriously giving up training for triathlons after this summer. It makes me sad, but right now I don't see a solution.

Today's workout started out ok. I warmed up with 100y breaststroke and 100y free. Then I started doing my sets of 200y free on 5:30. (Goal was 30 secs rest between sets.) First set I did in 4:50 which is good for me and right about where I have been. Second set was a little slower at 5:00. Third and fourth sets slower at 5:05. Fifth set I totally fell apart and swam it in 5:20. I skipped the sixth set that I usually do and just ended with 500y straight of relaxed swimming, mostly breaststroke, but threw in a few 50y free laps.

My arms just felt sooooooooo tired like I had absolutely no power after that first set. I'll see what I can do next week. Monday is my one reliable day to swim and the pool is closed for Memorial Day. Blah!

Run
  • 43m 44s
  • 4.50 miles
  • 09m 43s /Mi

I checked back in my logs from last fall. For some reason, I thought my longest run back then was about 4.3 miles, but it was only 4 miles even. So every increase from last week on out will be a personal best as far as distance goes.

I moved my long run to today because I want to do a 5k race on Memorial day. I didn't think it would be too good to do a long run on the weekend and then race on Monday. It was raining early this morning so I decided to run at lunchtime. This is probably going to be one of the very few runs I do at lunch until the weather is cooler. The temps were around 75, kind of humid, and there was no shade since it was noontime. I absolutely hate hot weather, but I probably need to do a little running in it to get acclimated. My long run was probably not the one to choose.

Once again, I really don't know why the pace turned out as it did. I felt MUCH slower. Didn't feel too bad the first 3.5 miles, but that last mile was one step below torture. Not leg-wise or lung-wise, but I felt like I was getting so hot. Yuck! I am so used to running in 50 degree weather that this 25 degree jump did not sit well with me. On a good note, my PF has been VERY quiet the last week or so. Also, I tweaked my one hamstring the other day and it felt almost 100% normal today. Yeah!

I want to slow my long run pace, but really, I felt like I was going soooooooooooooo slow today. I measured the distance in my car so I know that was accurate. I don't know. Maybe I will be able to better judge my pace when I get more experience. I am really not so anal yet that I want to do the heart monitor thing. LOL! Don't want to spend the money either. I am just not that interested in being competitive. I just want to be fit and feel good. I seem to be accomplishing that just fine. I am really so amazed that I am able to run over 4 miles. It is kind of cool (or hot as the case may be!).

Sport
  • Walking
  • 15m

About 10 mins walking as warm up and 5 mins cool down back to the clinic.

LOL!  I just checked my logs again from last fall.  And although today's run was the longest I have done by distance, I was running much slower last fall so today's run was shorter by time than my longest run in October.  Next increase I should surpass both distance AND time.  :)

Bike
  • 50m 07s
  • 11.64 miles
  • 13.94 Mi/hr

A very nice lunchtime ride with TTPICS (triathlon training partner in crime Sue). What an absolutely gorgeous day! Bright sun, temps around 70 degrees. Had one stretch of caca headwind and an uphill grade, but it was relatively short. Very nice ride!

Run
  • 19m 26s
  • 2.10 miles
  • 09m 15s /Mi

What a beautiful morning to get a run in before work! A little frosty at 32 degrees but bright blue sky and sunshine made everything so pretty.

I decided it is almost 1 year since I started running so I want to start doing some speed/interval work. Today was my first. Started off with walking a brisk pace for 13 minutes. Then an easy jog for 0.5 miles. Over the next mile, I did 4 fartleks each of approximately a minute in length (give or take). Then just ran out the final 0.5 miles normally. First 1.05 miles was 10m 11s. Second 1.05 miles was 9m 15s. That drops that second segment below a 9 min/mile. Whoo Hoo!!! One of my goals is to drop my 5k time to below 9 min/mile by next year. I NEVER thought it possible when I first started running, but now I am seeing that maybe it is.

Hopefully this summer, I can get to the highschool track and do workouts there.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 29m 09s

Warm up: walk 0.9 miles 13m 39s
Cool down: walk 0.9 miles 15m 30s

drdi's Training Log

May 2006 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27