Sport
  • Hiking
  • 1h 00m

Long day. Up at 2:15am (after 3 hours sleep) and head to airport for the flight to Atlanta. Got the rental car and drove to Brasstown Bald (the highpoint of Georgia). Hiked the 0.6 mile (one way) trail to the summit. The summit was socked in with fog so there was absolutely no view. Oh well. Made the round trip hike to the summit and back down in about 30 minutes.

Day 1 of WWWW hike 2006

Drove to meet my women's backpacking group at Woody Gap on the AT (Appalachian Trail). From there we set up car shuttles along the route and ended up at the parking area below Springer Mountain summit. I was the fastest hiker in the group so I started out leading the way up the hill. I made the 0.9 mile hike to the summit in about 30 minutes. I thought everyone was going to join me at the summit for group photos, but they decided to go the campsite instead. Finally, the campsite host came up to the summit to tell me my group was at the campsite which was only 0.2 miles from the summit.

By the time camp was set up, it was early evening so we ate supper and talked until hiker midnight (9pm) and off to bed. I slept REALLY good since I had been going nonstop all day on 3 hours of sleep.

Today will be a rest day!  I work until 6 or 7 tonight, then have to pack my backpack.  Leaving first thing in the morning to fly to Atlanta to meet up with my women's backpacking group.  We are hiking the first 16 miles of the Appalachian trail.  Plus I will be visiting Brasstown Bald, the highpoint of Georgia.  This will add to my list of state highpoints already visited: CA, CO, NV, AZ, TX, NC, TN, NH, NE, NY, ME, WV, VT, KY, KS, MA, MD, PA, AR, CT, MN, NJ, MO, OH.  Hey, just figured out this will be #25 or halfway through the list.  Although some of the real serious peaks like Denali and Ranier are not something I will be doing.   Still it makes a fun sidetrip when visiting different states.
Swim
  • 40m
  • 1600.00 yards
  • -----

Noon lap swim at the Y. Did sets today, but decreased it to 200 yards on 5:30 (instead of 6:00). My niece (who is giving me my workouts) told me to go on 30 seconds of rest now. The last set I was really getting tired and slow, but most of the sets I was at 30-32 seconds of rest. Did 100y breaststroke and 100y free as warm-up. Main set was 6 X 200y. Then 200 yards breaststroke to cool down.

I think I am going to die when I get to open water swimming this summer.  Not because being in the lake freaks me out.  It's going to be the water temperature.  I have had such a mental thing going on the last couple of weeks with getting in the pool.  Every single time I think the water is freezing.  It is all I can do mentally to just jump in and go.  I am ok once I am swimming, but it's the getting wet part.  Gosh, I hope I can work through this because it is quite annoying.

PF=1, NS=N

Run
  • 37m 39s
  • 3.70 miles
  • 10m 11s /Mi

Went for a midday run today. 70 degrees and sunny is nice, but too warm especially when I am used to running in 40-50 degree weather. I am really surprised that my time wasn't much slower. I felt like I needed to just plod along slowly in order not to overheat. Actually I felt really good on the way out, but it was after the turnaround that I really started to feel sluggish. Plus I ran the gravel road and there was new gravel. Kind of like running on marbles. Blech! Oh and I have been up since 4am because I went out turkey hunting this morning. Like I said, I am (happily) surprised at my pace.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 32m 52s

Warm up: walk 1 mile (16m 34s)
Cool down: walk 1 mile (16m 18s)

PF=1, NS=N

Bike
  • 1h 02m
  • 16.08 miles
  • 15.56 Mi/hr

Bike ride from home after getting off work at noon. I was a little concerned about how I would feel working out before lunch, but a granola bar and some gatorade and I was off. I had to change my route just a little when I realized I only needed to ride 16 miles to break 100 miles for the month. Yeesh, 100 miles is pitiful. But the weather and other busy life things have made just working out a challenge the last couple of weeks. Once June gets here I should hopefully be able to really up my bike miles.

As usual I planned the first part of the ride into the wind (and uphill too) and it was a bear! Then the downhill wind at my back section came next and it was glorious. Finished with a flat section with crosswind. I was able to keep my speed up pretty decent there too. I still really struggle when heading into the wind though. Wonder if that ever gets any better at all?

PF=1, NS=N

Swim
  • 47m
  • 1800.00 yards
  • 02m 37s /100 yards

And now for something completely different. Went to 5pm lap swim at the Y. I didn't feel like doing my workout of sets today. So I didn't take my watch and I just swam. I decided that I wanted to swim a mile continuously without stopping. I did three sets of 100y breaststroke and 400y front crawl then finished up with 300y of breast stroke. What is notible about today's swim is that this is the first time I have EVER swam 400y of front crawl all at once without rest. And this is important why? Well, that is the approximate distance (just a tad shy) of my first sprint tri this summer. I remember so clearly last November when I could not swim one entire lap without stopping.

So although I am still slow, progress is being made. Best of all, I felt really good swimming tonight. Nice and relaxed!!!! :)

I had fun swimming today.  Now that is weird!  LOL!

PF=1, NS=N

Bike
  • 46m 32s
  • 11.25 miles
  • 14.51 Mi/hr

Bike commute. Today was just about transportation to and from work. There was no get up and go in my body to do a workout. See comments below.

I only had to work in the afternoon today so I was able to do a full morning of turkey hunting.  I was out late with a work program last night so when I got up at 4am, I was running on about 5 hours of sleep.  This morning was a GREAT morning to be out in the woods.  Sunny, not too cold.  The turkeys were gobbling nonstop.  I saw 10 different turkeys at least and heard a couple other gobblers off in the woods.  It seemed as though there were turkeys everywhere.  My husband got a turkey around 8am.  I was working a gobbler around 11:15AM but couldn't get it to come into range before hunting hours end at noon.

Then back home and hopped on my bike to ride to work.  I was totally unmotivated.  It was now 1pm and I hadn't eaten anything all day and drank very little.   Same with the ride home (although I had eaten and rehydrated by then.  Just feeling blah.).  Rode straight home instead of my usual taking the long way home.   I was wondering how exercising would fit into my schedule during turkey season and I can see that it is going to be a challenge.  Turkey hunting is a BIG passion of mine and I'm just going to have to do what I can do as far as working out.  There are not enough hours in the day for everything.  All I want to do is maintain my fitness this month and then I can get back on track the end of May.  Oh, and I do have a 4 day backpacking trip coming up next week.  So that will be some good exercise even if not specifically triathlon related.

PF=1, NS=N

drdi's Training Log

May 2006 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Time
Distance
  • March's totals