Busy day.  Up at 4am to be dressed and out in the woods by 5:15am.  Turkey hunt until 7:30am and then home to eat, shower and be to work close to 9am.  Lunch at 2:30 include a 20 minute power nap.  Thank goodness!  Got home around 6:30pm.  Did farm chores until dark.  Dinner at 9pm.  Sleep at 10:30pm.
My backpack finally showed up and the airline brought it to my house this afternoon.  Yeah!!!!  I am really tired and have so much to do around the house.  Oh and I am still chasing those turkeys.  So unless I get motivated, I think I am just going to take a few days off from training.  The plan will be to try and fit in a swim Friday at 5pm.  A run or bike at lunchtime this week will just be a bonus.
Sport
  • Hiking
  • 45m

Day 5 WWWW 2006 hike

Woke up to a good steady rain. Last day on the trail and I only had a 1.5 mile hike out to my car. Packed up everything in the rain and hiked out into a sea of water on the trail. Made it to the rental car and then off to Atlanta and the flight home.

Home safe and sound.  Had a GREAT trip.  Well except for the trip home where the airline lost my backpack and all my gear inside.  Hopefully it will show up by tomorrow because if not ........       Well let's just say that I broke camp and hiked in a downpour this morning so LOTS of wet gear are in that pack.  I guess the airline will be able to find it by smell in a day or two.

Going to update logs hopefully tomorrow evening.  Right now I am off to bed and going to be up at 4am to go turkey hunting. 

Sport
  • Hiking
  • 4h 00m

Day 4 WWWW 2006 hike

Today was going to be a relatively easy day. 3 1/2 miles from Cooper Gap to Gooch Gap Shelter. Since it was Saturday and we would be staying at a popular shelter, I was to go ahead and secure the tent sites we needed and then just wait for the rest of the group to show up. It was really cold and windy in the morning so it took me a little longer than normal to get moving. I think I started around 9am. Took a short snack break alongside a beautiful stream and then made it to the shelter at 11am. I set up my tent, saved a couple other sites and walked up to the shelter to eat lunch. Long story short is I met a father dayhiking with his two sons. A man and woman hiking together came by and the woman had such bad blisters that she needed help getting to a town. The father of the two boys said he had a car parked at a road crossing 5 miles away and he could take them to town. But I had a car parked at a road crossing only 1.5 miles away. So I walked out with the woman and drove her and her hiking partner to where the father's car was parked. Then I hiked back in to the shelter. So I added an extra 3 miles of hiking today.

We had a very enjoyable evening at the shelter. Lots of good laughs!

Sport
  • Hiking
  • 3h 00m

Day 3 WWWW hike 2006

I was up, ate breakfast and packed by 8am. Everyone else was still making breakfast when I started down the trail. I hiked about 1 1/2 miles to the next AT shelter and took the side trail to see who was there. I met up with some beginning thru hikers that I had met the day before plus a couple others I hadn't met. I sat there about 90 minutes until I thought I heard voices on the trail. It was my group and I caught up to them (at Hightower Gap) from behind which surprised them.

I hiked on ahead to Horse Gap where I ate lunch and waited for the group to catch up. We were going to camp on top of Sassafras Mountain but the weather was turning bad so we hiked over the mountain to Cooper's Gap and set up camp there. Got the tents up before the rain hit, but had to cook dinner under a tarp in the rain. The wind howled through the gap all night long.

Sport
  • Hiking
  • 3h 00m

Day 2 WWWW hike 2006

This was a purely social hike to enjoy time with a great group of women who like to backpack. The hike is set up to accomadate the slowest hikers and not to be too physically taxing for them. Although I do have to say that the oldest member of our group, at age 74, is quite a strong hiker.

As it turned out, I was the only one of this year's group that was a semi-fast hiker and also a true morning person. I like to get on the trail by 7:30-8am at the latest so that I don't have to hike much in the heat of the day.

Day 1 was planned to do 5.8 miles. By the time everyone got up and made the 0.2 mile hike to the summit for group photos, we did not start hiking until 11am. I had a nice lunchstop at Three Forks and then we stopped and played int the creek at Long Creek Falls until it started to rain. Fortunately it was only a 10 minute shower. We made it to our campsite at Hickory Flat Cemetary by mid afternoon. The Cemetary is along a forest service road so one of the women had her van there and treated us to crackers, cheese and wine before dinner. Now this is how to go backpacking!!!!! The campsite was quite pleasant and the sky cleared out overnight. Barred owls serenaded us on and off all night long.

Sport
  • Hiking
  • 1h 00m

Long day. Up at 2:15am (after 3 hours sleep) and head to airport for the flight to Atlanta. Got the rental car and drove to Brasstown Bald (the highpoint of Georgia). Hiked the 0.6 mile (one way) trail to the summit. The summit was socked in with fog so there was absolutely no view. Oh well. Made the round trip hike to the summit and back down in about 30 minutes.

Day 1 of WWWW hike 2006

Drove to meet my women's backpacking group at Woody Gap on the AT (Appalachian Trail). From there we set up car shuttles along the route and ended up at the parking area below Springer Mountain summit. I was the fastest hiker in the group so I started out leading the way up the hill. I made the 0.9 mile hike to the summit in about 30 minutes. I thought everyone was going to join me at the summit for group photos, but they decided to go the campsite instead. Finally, the campsite host came up to the summit to tell me my group was at the campsite which was only 0.2 miles from the summit.

By the time camp was set up, it was early evening so we ate supper and talked until hiker midnight (9pm) and off to bed. I slept REALLY good since I had been going nonstop all day on 3 hours of sleep.

drdi's Training Log

May 2006 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31   

Time
Distance
  • March's totals
  • February's totals