Swim
  • 50m
  • 1700.00 yards
  • 02m 56s /100 yards

5pm lap swim after work. Warm up: 100y bs, 100y fs, 100y bs, 100 fs
Main set: 200y fs X 6 on 6:00. Until I get back to swimming regular again, I am just not able to maintain my sets on 5:30 like I had been. With 6:00, most of my rest periods were between 37-47 seconds.
Cool down: 100y bs then lap swim was over and I had to leave the pool.

Bike
  • 29m 02s
  • 7.60 miles
  • 15.71 Mi/hr

Bike around the shortest block. First mile or so I took pretty easy then picked up the pace to a steady effort.

Run
  • 19m 46s
  • 2.00 miles
  • 09m 53s /Mi

My first brick. About a 1 minute transition off the bike. Then run down the road for one mile and turn around and run back. First mile 9:50. Second mile 9:56. Ugh! Not "ugh" to the time so much as I was getting slower the second mile when I was starting to feel just ever so slightly better.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 15m

Walked about 0.9 miles to cool down after my brick.

I did my first brick today.  Yeah me!!!!  I probably should not have done it after my day at work today.  Boo me!!!!  Still it was an interesting experience and something to build upon.

Work today consisted of a marathon surgery day.  Marathon for me anyway.  14 spay/neuter surgeries for the local APL and a c-section/spay for a client's cat.  The first two were older dog spays and they always take so much time.  Then some younger dog spays, some dog neuters and some cat spays.  Except for a brief break at lunch, I pretty much just stood at the surgery table from 9am until 5:30pm.  When I got home, my legs and feet hurt from just standing all day long.

I couldn't quite decide if I wanted to go for a short run or a short bike ride so I decided to do both and I did my first brick tonight.  The bike was about 2.5 miles short of my sprint tri distance, but I think enough to get the idea.  My legs felt like crap on the run and didn't start to loosen up at all until about 1.5 miles into the run.  They never did feel normal at all.  I hope this gets better with practice.  About 6 weeks or so until my first tri.

Oh one other thing.  I have been debating whether or not to wear my running shoes the whole time or change from bike shoes to running shoes.  I use toe clips so either is an option.  I used my running shoes for the biathlon and never had a problem with them on the bike.  Tonight however, my left running shoe kept catching on the crank arm.  Weird because this did not happen at all at the biathlon.  I'll have to try again and see if the same thing happens.  If it does, I will probably take the extra 30-60 seconds or whatever to change shoes in T2.

Bike
  • 23m 29s
  • 5.62 miles
  • 14.36 Mi/hr

Morning bike commute, direct route. Very nice warm morning. I had originally thought about doing an all out "see how fast I could ride the distance" type ride, but I had to be at work early and I really didn't feel awake enough yet for an all out effort. Will try again some other day. Maybe some evening?

Swim
  • 30m
  • 1200.00 yards
  • 02m 30s /100 yards

8pm swim at the Y. I absolutely HATE swimming at this time of day; but in renewed resolve to try and get back to swimming twice a week, well I am just going to have to suck it up some weeks. Plus the 8pm swim is 45 minutes instead of a full hour so I have to make sure to get there on time or my workout gets shortened (like today). Tonight I just swam a haphazard pattern of sets. Mostly free, but some breaststroke. Mostly 100 yards, but some 200 and one 400y set. My arms just always feel weak. Definitely did not have my heart in it tonight.

Bike
  • 1h 04m 25s
  • 16.67 miles
  • 15.53 Mi/hr

Bike commute home. I drove my car to work this morning and will drive it back home tomorrow night. This evening however was a chance to unwind from a long day's work. Took the long way home (the direct route being 5.6 miles). Temps had only dropped a few degrees (into the mid 80's) when I left work, but it felt good. This is much different than running where I feel like I am going to die after about 2 miles.

The nice thing about this evening's ride is there was no wind. I didn't even feel like I was pushing very hard at all and I averaged as good as I ever average.

An even better thing is that the brownies I bought at the local grocery store today fit in my rear trunk bag so I could get them home tonight!

Run
  • 27m 07s
  • 3.00 miles
  • 09m 02s /Mi

Local 5k race. Maybe around 50-60 people participated? I drove the course after the race and it came out to 3 miles or just a hair under that so I am not entering the full 5k distance. Very warm today too. The race started at 9am and it was already 75 degrees. I am definitely not acclimated to the heat yet and the last mile was getting kind of painful.

First mile 9:23. I missed the mark for the second mile, but I looked at my watch a little ways past there and it said 9:31 so I figure the second mile was close or maybe just a little faster than the first mile. The second and third miles together were 17:43. That puts my third mile well under 9:00 minutes. Whoo Hoo!

Well I certainly fulfilled my expectations today.  My last 5k race was 30:39 back in March.  My goal was to race in under 30 minutes.  Today's race was 3.0 miles, but if you take my pace and add the extra 0.1 mile, it would be just a hair over 28 minutes.  Oh crap, does that mean my new goal is to run a 5k sub 28 minutes.  Holy cow!

I'll do a race report later.  The time I put down was my watch time.  This race was very small and not very organized so I don't even know if they will be publishing official times or not.  If they do, I may have to change the time.

I am glad my 5k race is not today.  I woke up this morning feeling like I had been run over by a linebacker after my weed whacking escapade yesterday.  Although I am feeling better now that I am up moving around.

Today I am driving 200+ miles one way to see my niece in her dance recital then driving back home tonight.  My husband is already there because he had to take the truck and trailer down to pick up all his flats of tomatoes and peppers.  I stayed behind because I have baby chicks to care for right now and didn't want to be gone the whole weekend.   I should be nice and sleepy for the race tomorrow.  :)

Well I was originally going to go for a walk today and throw in a short run to keep my miles consistant, but it turned into a rest day.  REST DAY HAHAHAHAHA!  I worked a half day then came home and took a short nap.  Decided I'd better continue on yard work that had been neglected during the monsoon earlier this month.  So I did yard work for about 4 1/2 hours.  About 3 hours of that was weed whacking.  Oh man are my arms sore and tired and I have blisters on my hands.  It needed done so badly though and I was on a roll.  Then the poultry chores after some mowing and now laundry.  Aren't weekends so nice and restful?

drdi's Training Log

June 2006 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 

Time
Distance
  • March's totals
  • February's totals