• 38m 04s
  • 9.88 miles
  • 15.57 Mi/hr

Tower Rd. Loop

Another morning of up at 5am to workout.  Today I decided to bike so I fed chickens first waiting for it to get light enough outside to bike.  I'm glad to get a workout done.  My plan is to swim later today, but with the forecast of thunderstorms, that may not happen.  Yeesh, not only do have I to struggle with work schedule/pool schedule conflicts, but now the weather is not cooperating.  More swim frustration!  ARGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

WHINE ALERT!   No swim tonight.  Out of work too late to make either the 5pm or the 8pm swim.  I HATE SWIMMING!  Ok, it's not that I hate swimming itself.  I hate not having a pool with hours where I can swim.  I know, I know, I complain about this ALL the time.  But it is sort of cathartic for me to get my frustrations out in this blog.  I REALLY REALLY want to be able to learn to swim better and that just isn't going to happen swimming once a week.  Heck, I wasn't even able to make it to my usual Monday swim this week.  Maybe not in the near future, but somehow, some way, I am going to make this work.  I don't know how, but I have to keep the faith that a positive outcome is somewhere in the future.  For right now, the frustration continues.

  • 29m 27s
  • 3.10 miles
  • 09m 30s /Mi

Got up at 5am, out the door at 5:30am, and did my weekly tempo run. I did my "5k" route. I think it is a just a smidge long, but it is very close.

  • Walking
  • 15m

Walking split 1/2 before run and 1/2 after.

What I learned today:  getting up at 5am to do a LSD run is enjoyable.  getting up at 5am to do a tempo run is a lot harder.  I think I was half way done with my run before I woke up.

Going to take today as a rest day.  Normally have the day off work, but went in for a half day to cover for the other veterinarian in the office who is out on vacation.  Planned to swim at noon, but had to do an emergency surgery and my half day of work turned into leaving at 4:30pm.  Severe thunderstorms moved through at 5pm so although I didn't call, I'm sure the pool was shut down.  Once I got home, I had a lot of chores to do anyway.  I have more baby chicks coming tomorrow so I needed to get everything in order (things I had planned to do earlier in the day since I was suppose to get off work at noon). 


  • 55m 40s
  • 5.30 miles
  • 10m 30s /Mi

Up at 5am, ate a Balance bar and drank some water, out the door a little after 5:30am. Temps already 68 and heading toward 90 today which is why I wanted to get my run done early. Ran the backroads near my home and I don't think one car passed me until the very end near my house. What a beautiful quiet country morning watching the sun come up. Saw deer and bunnies and all sorts of song birds. I felt good the entire time.

  • Walking
  • 19m

Walking before and after run. About 1 mile distance, split equally.

Whoo hoo!  I did it!  I got up early to run.  Edging ever closer to my first one hour run.

I need to order my amphipod.  I've started carrying water on my longer runs and its a pain carryng a bottle.  Yippee!!!  New stuff!!!

Rest day!  Took a long needed nap after work this afternoon.  Now it's yard work and taking care of the chickens.  I'm hoping to get up early tomorrow for a long run, but time will tell.
  • 30m
  • 1000.00 yards
  • 03m /100 yards

The saga of the pool woes continue. Fridays are my second most reliable day to swim so when I was able to get off work a little early to go swim, I was happy. The problem? I could tell from the start of the day that I really needed to take a rest day. But if I want to keep my schedule of swimming twice a week then I need to swim on Fridays. There are no lap swim times I can make on Saturday and the Y is closed on Sundays for the summer.

So the outcome was that I started swimming, but felt totally tired and unmotivated. I pushed through and swam 30 minutes, but just couldn't handle the thought of my usual 45-50 minute swim so I quit. Never did that before.

Tomorrow will be a rest day for sure so I know by Sunday, I will be feeling motivated again.

  • 1h 04m 42s
  • 15.91 miles
  • 14.75 Mi/hr

A.M. bike commute: 5.6 miles/23.5 mins/14.4 mph average. I had a slight detour that slowed me down a smidgen. I decided to take the direct route into work since the sign that said the railroad crossing was closed was taken down. Only it turned out the crossing was still closed. Fortunately, with a bicycle, I was able to get off the bike and walk it around the barricades and over the tracks. I felt sorry for all the cars that were going down the road and then had to turn around and go back. The road closed sign was back up again this evening. Maybe pranksters took it down? I don't know.

P.M. bike commute: Took a route home that I thought would bring me close to the sprint distance of my tri next month (10 miles). It was very close at 10.3 miles. Did the ride in about 40 minutes for a 15.4 mph average. Then turned the ride into a bike/run brick as soon as I got home.

  • 18m 56s
  • 2.00 miles
  • 09m 28s /Mi

Brick workout. 2:18 transition as I drank some water and went into the house to change shoes. Then off I went. First mile: 9:41. Second mile: 9:15. My times were good. I felt like crap. Are these bricks suppose to ever get easier? Or maybe your body just gets use to feeling like crap?

The strawberry jam making is done for the year!  YeeeHaw!!!  It's 11:30pm and I just finished my third and final batch.  It is difficult coming home from work, doing a workout, doing farm chores and then starting a batch of jam after 9pm and fitting in dinner.  But it is DONE!  We still have a few quarts of fresh berries to eat for the next several days.  Yummmmy!

On the training side of life, I have discovered that I LOVE to bike and I LOVE to run, but so far, me no like to bike and then run!!!!!  :)  I am hoping this is just going to take some time.

drdi's Training Log

 June 2006 
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 
  • March's totals
  • February's totals
  • 2008 totals
  • 2007 totals