• 50m
  • 1800.00 yards
  • 02m 47s /100 yards

Noon lap swim at the Y. Warm up: 100y bs, 100y fs. Main set: 200y X 5 on 5:45. First 3 sets I had about 45 seconds rest, 4th set 37 seconds and 5th set I just kind of petered out and finished with 27 seconds left. Decided to not do my planned 6th set after that. Instead I did a relaxed swim of 100y bs, 100 fs and repeat 3 times to finish out the mile.

Well after work had interferred with all my attempts to swim this week, I rearranged my schedule and told the staff that I was going swimming at noon today "come hell or high water".  LOL!  I got it done!  Can't believe it's Friday and this is the first opportunity I have had to swim.  Oh, yeah, I can believe it.

Tonight is a night of relaxation.  It's the hubby's birthday and I am making steaks on the grill, baked potatoes, salad and ice cream cake for dessert.  Oh and I think I'll have a beer or two since I am not on call until tomorrow!!!!!!

  • Cross-Country Ski Machine
  • 1h 00m

Nordic Track after work.

Today definitely called for some flexibility.  Rainy and wet this morning plus I didn't really feel like getting up extra early 3 days in a row, so no workout here.  89 degrees and humid at lunch so I didn't go for a lunch run.  What I really wanted to do was my weekly brick after work.  Well rain and lightning took care of that.  Kind of thought about not working out, but gosh darn it, I missed my Monday swim and my Wednesday swim and I wasn't about to miss another workout.  So I went into the "sauna" of the upstairs of this old farm house (with no air conditioning), openned windows, turned on fans, put on my Ironman Wisconsin tape and did the Nordic Track for an hour.  I actually felt really good.  Workout done!

  • 38m 04s
  • 9.88 miles
  • 15.57 Mi/hr

Tower Rd. Loop

Another morning of up at 5am to workout.  Today I decided to bike so I fed chickens first waiting for it to get light enough outside to bike.  I'm glad to get a workout done.  My plan is to swim later today, but with the forecast of thunderstorms, that may not happen.  Yeesh, not only do have I to struggle with work schedule/pool schedule conflicts, but now the weather is not cooperating.  More swim frustration!  ARGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

WHINE ALERT!   No swim tonight.  Out of work too late to make either the 5pm or the 8pm swim.  I HATE SWIMMING!  Ok, it's not that I hate swimming itself.  I hate not having a pool with hours where I can swim.  I know, I know, I complain about this ALL the time.  But it is sort of cathartic for me to get my frustrations out in this blog.  I REALLY REALLY want to be able to learn to swim better and that just isn't going to happen swimming once a week.  Heck, I wasn't even able to make it to my usual Monday swim this week.  Maybe not in the near future, but somehow, some way, I am going to make this work.  I don't know how, but I have to keep the faith that a positive outcome is somewhere in the future.  For right now, the frustration continues.

  • 29m 27s
  • 3.10 miles
  • 09m 30s /Mi

Got up at 5am, out the door at 5:30am, and did my weekly tempo run. I did my "5k" route. I think it is a just a smidge long, but it is very close.

  • Walking
  • 15m

Walking split 1/2 before run and 1/2 after.

What I learned today:  getting up at 5am to do a LSD run is enjoyable.  getting up at 5am to do a tempo run is a lot harder.  I think I was half way done with my run before I woke up.

Going to take today as a rest day.  Normally have the day off work, but went in for a half day to cover for the other veterinarian in the office who is out on vacation.  Planned to swim at noon, but had to do an emergency surgery and my half day of work turned into leaving at 4:30pm.  Severe thunderstorms moved through at 5pm so although I didn't call, I'm sure the pool was shut down.  Once I got home, I had a lot of chores to do anyway.  I have more baby chicks coming tomorrow so I needed to get everything in order (things I had planned to do earlier in the day since I was suppose to get off work at noon). 


  • 55m 40s
  • 5.30 miles
  • 10m 30s /Mi

Up at 5am, ate a Balance bar and drank some water, out the door a little after 5:30am. Temps already 68 and heading toward 90 today which is why I wanted to get my run done early. Ran the backroads near my home and I don't think one car passed me until the very end near my house. What a beautiful quiet country morning watching the sun come up. Saw deer and bunnies and all sorts of song birds. I felt good the entire time.

  • Walking
  • 19m

Walking before and after run. About 1 mile distance, split equally.

Whoo hoo!  I did it!  I got up early to run.  Edging ever closer to my first one hour run.

I need to order my amphipod.  I've started carrying water on my longer runs and its a pain carryng a bottle.  Yippee!!!  New stuff!!!

Rest day!  Took a long needed nap after work this afternoon.  Now it's yard work and taking care of the chickens.  I'm hoping to get up early tomorrow for a long run, but time will tell.

drdi's Training Log

 June 2006 
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 
  • March's totals
  • February's totals
  • 2008 totals
  • 2007 totals