Swim
  • 45m
  • 1600.00 yards
  • 02m 49s /100 yards

5pm lap swim. Pretty nice swim tonight. Purposefully left my watch in my locker and just wanted to swim. Warmed up with 100y bs. Then did 1000 yards free nonstop. Longest distance so far. Yippee!!! Then did a hodgepodge of bs, ss, fs for the final 500 yards.

I felt really good during the longer free set until about 900 yards. That last 100 yards I was getting VERY tired.

Race report is done.  Still smiling.

Run
  • 59m 36s
  • 6.20 miles
  • 09m 37s /Mi

Run for the Hills 10k, Willoughby Hills, Ohio

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, OH MY GOSH!  On a day when there a quite a few BT'ers doing a HIM or IM, I am flying high with my own personal goal of completing a 10k.  This is the longest distance I have ever ran in my entire life.  So cool!  My goal time was 1:05:00 and I knew there were some hills so I was even going to be happy with 1:10:00.  Imagine my surprise and delight when I rounded the corner toward the finish line and saw the clock at 59 mins and some odd seconds.  I can't believe I broke the one hour mark.  I even got third in my age group (out of 5), but only because one of the ladies in my age group had the courtesy of placing in the top 3 overall.  LOL!  That was nice of her to do that so I could win a medal.  HeeHee!  It was a pretty small race, maybe 100-some people?  I'll know more when the official results are posted.

I'll do a race report later, but I am going to write down some comments and my splits in case I need to clear my watch.  I know I am a new runner and know zippo zero about pacing, but me thinks that something was very screwy with their mile markers.  They had volunteers at each mile giving out the total time.  My watch was accurate within 1-2 seconds at every single mile mark, but you will see in a minute how screwy things look.

1. Mile 1:     11:20     This is kind of slow for me and made me start questioning the mile mark right off the bat.  But ok, I didn't do a whole lot of warm up and was just starting to get in the groove, so maybe.
  2. Mile 2:     7:57       This is REALLY screwy.  I have never ever ran a sub 8 minute mile.  It was a nice long downhill the entire mile and I knew I was going faster than the first mile, but that fast?  Nah!
  3. Mile 3:     10:03     Ok, this is a more normal pace for me.  Actually, after going downhill for so long, it took my legs awhile to readjust to the flats and then the road started to go uphill a little toward the end of the mile.
  4. Mile 4:     9:19       Screwy stuff again.  This mile started with a HUGE UPhill that was probably 3/4 of a mile long.  I didn't really have too much of a problem with the hill, but I was going a lot slower than before so something ain't right.
  5. Mile 5:     10:58     This is the mile I probably felt the best overall.  I was pacing myself behind this guy and was feeling so so good.  So why is this so much slower.  Hmmmmm?
  6. Mile 6.2:   9:55      Passed the guy I was running behind and then passed a couple of other women.  Started to pick up the pace by increasing my cadence.  I was hoping it wasn't too soon, but I probably could have gone a little harder as I had plenty left at the end.

Today turned into a rest day of sorts.  I REALLY wanted to get a bike in this week because my miles are way down this week.  Between having to work extra hours because the other vet in the office was on vacation and several days of serious electrical storms in the evening after work, getting any workout done was quite a challenge.

Today I had to work in the morning.  Then my next batch of 50 day old chicks were delivered today so they needed tended to.  Then one of the 6 1/2 week old meat chickens developed ascites which is a kind of heart condition that happens sporadically in the fast growing meat birds.  Nothing wrong with the meat, but these birds don't live long with the condition so I butchered that bird today.  The rest of the birds will be butchered in 2 1/2 weeks.  Then I cut grass.  More afternoon thunderstorms predicted for the next several days so I am just trying to get things done.

Swim
  • 50m
  • 1800.00 yards
  • 02m 47s /100 yards

Noon lap swim at the Y. Warm up: 100y bs, 100y fs. Main set: 200y X 5 on 5:45. First 3 sets I had about 45 seconds rest, 4th set 37 seconds and 5th set I just kind of petered out and finished with 27 seconds left. Decided to not do my planned 6th set after that. Instead I did a relaxed swim of 100y bs, 100 fs and repeat 3 times to finish out the mile.

Well after work had interferred with all my attempts to swim this week, I rearranged my schedule and told the staff that I was going swimming at noon today "come hell or high water".  LOL!  I got it done!  Can't believe it's Friday and this is the first opportunity I have had to swim.  Oh, yeah, I can believe it.

Tonight is a night of relaxation.  It's the hubby's birthday and I am making steaks on the grill, baked potatoes, salad and ice cream cake for dessert.  Oh and I think I'll have a beer or two since I am not on call until tomorrow!!!!!!

Sport
  • Cross-Country Ski Machine
  • 1h 00m

Nordic Track after work.

Today definitely called for some flexibility.  Rainy and wet this morning plus I didn't really feel like getting up extra early 3 days in a row, so no workout here.  89 degrees and humid at lunch so I didn't go for a lunch run.  What I really wanted to do was my weekly brick after work.  Well rain and lightning took care of that.  Kind of thought about not working out, but gosh darn it, I missed my Monday swim and my Wednesday swim and I wasn't about to miss another workout.  So I went into the "sauna" of the upstairs of this old farm house (with no air conditioning), openned windows, turned on fans, put on my Ironman Wisconsin tape and did the Nordic Track for an hour.  I actually felt really good.  Workout done!

Bike
  • 38m 04s
  • 9.88 miles
  • 15.57 Mi/hr

Tower Rd. Loop

Another morning of up at 5am to workout.  Today I decided to bike so I fed chickens first waiting for it to get light enough outside to bike.  I'm glad to get a workout done.  My plan is to swim later today, but with the forecast of thunderstorms, that may not happen.  Yeesh, not only do have I to struggle with work schedule/pool schedule conflicts, but now the weather is not cooperating.  More swim frustration!  ARGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

WHINE ALERT!   No swim tonight.  Out of work too late to make either the 5pm or the 8pm swim.  I HATE SWIMMING!  Ok, it's not that I hate swimming itself.  I hate not having a pool with hours where I can swim.  I know, I know, I complain about this ALL the time.  But it is sort of cathartic for me to get my frustrations out in this blog.  I REALLY REALLY want to be able to learn to swim better and that just isn't going to happen swimming once a week.  Heck, I wasn't even able to make it to my usual Monday swim this week.  Maybe not in the near future, but somehow, some way, I am going to make this work.  I don't know how, but I have to keep the faith that a positive outcome is somewhere in the future.  For right now, the frustration continues.

Run
  • 29m 27s
  • 3.10 miles
  • 09m 30s /Mi

Got up at 5am, out the door at 5:30am, and did my weekly tempo run. I did my "5k" route. I think it is a just a smidge long, but it is very close.

Sport
  • Walking
  • 15m

Walking split 1/2 before run and 1/2 after.

What I learned today:  getting up at 5am to do a LSD run is enjoyable.  getting up at 5am to do a tempo run is a lot harder.  I think I was half way done with my run before I woke up.

drdi's Training Log

June 2006 
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 

Time
Distance
  • March's totals
  • February's totals