• 51m 31s
  • 5.00 miles
  • 10m 18s /Mi

My next PB and my next increase on my long run. Ran outside at lunchtime. Temps around 70 and sunny. I felt really good the first 35 minutes then I started to feel hot. Hey at least I got farther before getting hot than my last lunchtime run. And even though I did feel too warm, I still felt ok and was easily able to finish the run.

  • Walking
  • 12m

Walking before and after run. About 1/2 before and 1/2 after.

OK, what I learned on my run today.  Always, and I mean ALWAYS, bring a little spare money with you.  About 40 minutes into my run, I was feeling mighty warm.  I did have water with me so not a big deal, but then I passed the cutest kids that had set up a lemonade stand.  Doh!  I would have definitely stopped but I had no money.  Stupid me!

I still find it utterly incredible that I can now run for 5 miles without stopping.  I know a bunch of you out there know the feeling.  It is absolutely amazing!

I am feeling absolutely great this week.  Not tired at all, but I need to be working in a rest day.  I was so glad to get the long run done today so that either tomorrow or Saturday can be a do nothing day.  I hope to swim one of those two days (tomorrow preferred).  Then the 50 mile bike tour on Sunday.  :)

  • 22m 58s
  • 5.64 miles
  • 14.73 Mi/hr

Morning bike commute, direct route. Wanted to take a longer route, but didn't get my lazy butt out of the house in time. Nice morning though.

  • 40m
  • 1400.00 yards
  • 02m 52s /100 yards

Kind of a haphazard set of sets. LOL! Did 4 sets of 200y free on 5:45 in the middle. Some breaststroke, sidestroke et al before and after.

Drove the car home tonight because I want to go and swim tonight.  Lots of chores to do on the farm though so time will tell if this is possible or not.

Whoo hoo!  Got to go swimming tonight!  Man I was racing around doing some lawn mowing plus feeding and watering the chickens to get everything done in time.  Worked out just fine.

  • 23m 12s
  • 5.65 miles
  • 14.61 Mi/hr

Drove my car into work today and biked home. I took the direct route home because I had a lot to do at home tonight and I wanted to do a short brick too. It was really tempting to take to long way home though because the weather was absolutely gorgeous!

  • 18m 44s
  • 2.00 miles
  • 09m 22s /Mi

Brick. 2:21 transition. Rode my bike into the driveway and then had to put away a few groceries that I had in my bike bag. Change into running shoes and off I went.

Today's brick went MUCH better than last week's brick. I still didn't feel normal, but I started to loosen up some the second mile. I negative split the two miles too which I didn't do last week. (mile 1 9:39 and mile 2 9:05) Too many variables to say why today was better. Shorter bike distance, lower average speed (but I had some small hills too today), not standing at the surgery table all day long. All are possibilities.

  • 41m
  • 1500.00 yards
  • 02m 44s /100 yards

I know this may sound weird, but I actually had a nice swim this morning. AND I even had to share a lane with "the flopping lady". She swims really slow (I thought I was slow), uses flippers and just sort of flops all over. She is a very nice lady though and we only ran into each other a couple of times. Not too bad.

I left the watch at home today and decided to just swim. Warmup was 100y breaststroke as usual. Then I just swam. I swam 1000 yards of freestyle straight without stopping. Whoo Hooo! A new personal best. Then I did a 400y mix of breast stroke, side stroke and freestyle.

Someone on some forum somewhere made a comment about hand entry into the water that just seemed to make something click for me. I'll find out if was just a fluke or not the next time I swim.

  • 2h 44m 46s
  • 37.38 miles
  • 13.61 Mi/hr

Bike from home to the southern part of the bike trail. Then head north on the bike trail to Clay St, east and south to Jefferson and then home.

Today's bike ride was all about getting back to my roots.  My primary biking background is in touring.  You know, lollygagging through the countryside, stopping at points of interest and just enjoying the scenery.  So that was the goal of today's ride.  Nice and easy and enjoyable.  Didn't get started until afternoon because it rained all morning.  Was still raining when I set out, but just drizzle really.  I knew the winds would be a problem because there was a strong breeze out of the north with gusts to 20+ mph.  Didn't matter, I was out to have fun!

Started off with the wind at my back.
Mile 6: oh no I have to pee already!  Fortunately found a convenient oil well road to duck down.
Mile 12: yeesh, I have to pee again, but open farmland and nowhere to go.
Mile 14: reach the bike trail and ride a ways down to a likely pee spot.  I see someone coming so I have to wait.  Get attacked by hoardes of killer mosquitos.  Finally the other biker passes and I can pee and get on my way.  Biking into the wind now.
Mile 17: stops raining, sun starting to come out, going into a headwind, but doesn't seem bad in the woods where the bike trail runs.
Mile 20: Reached a parking area and thought it would be a nice spot for some gatorade and a granola bar.  I had a nice chat with another biker that was just finishing his ride.  I used the portapotty there even though I didn't really have to (never pass up an opportunity!).
Mile 21: Leave the bike trail and have to now deal with an extremely annoying crosswind.
Mile 24: Reach the state route and know I have to make a jog to get to the next side street.  Ended up jogging to the right instead of left.  Decided to take a road I had never been down and it turned out to be REALLY pretty!
Mile 28: Had to ride on about 1 1/2 miles of gravel road.  VERY slow going, but not too bad as gravel roads go.
Mile 31: Stop at the clinic where I work and pick up the milk and lunchmeat I had left the refrigerator there.  Head home with the wind still swirling from the side and front.
Mile 37: Done!

  • 36m 40s
  • 3.50 miles
  • 10m 29s /Mi

Now THIS is what I have been trying to do on my weekend runs. Slow down and find a nice relaxed pace that I feel like I could hold forever. I seem to always be pushing it for some reason. Today was so nice and relaxing. I ran the gravel road which is slower than the asphalt road anyway. The rain had just stopped so the road was nice and soft. It was a most beautiful run.

I decided to not do a longer run because of the race last Monday and the brick on Thursday. I do not want to increase my weekly run mileage too much. I am still being cautious with the foot. Of course if you include my warm up and cool down walk, then I did cover 5.5 miles today.

  • Walking
  • 33m 10s

Warm up: walk 1 mile (16m 36s)
Cool down: walk 1 mile (16m 34s)
How's that for a consistant pace?

  • 50m
  • 1700.00 yards
  • 02m 56s /100 yards

5pm lap swim after work. Warm up: 100y bs, 100y fs, 100y bs, 100 fs
Main set: 200y fs X 6 on 6:00. Until I get back to swimming regular again, I am just not able to maintain my sets on 5:30 like I had been. With 6:00, most of my rest periods were between 37-47 seconds.
Cool down: 100y bs then lap swim was over and I had to leave the pool.

drdi's Training Log

 June 2006 
     1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 
  • March's totals
  • February's totals
  • 2008 totals
  • 2007 totals